THANK YOU ENGLAND, FOR

redrum

Thank-you England for the best music in the world!

Let's cut to the chase.......if I could only take 3 English bands to a desert island with me the music would be:

1. The Beatles (John, Paul, George, Ringo)

2. Led Zeppelin (Robert, Jimmy, John Paul, John)

3. Yes (Jon Anderson, Steve Howe, Chris Squire, Bill Bruford, and Rick Wakeman)

**the best Yes line-up**

I have to say I'm quite surprised I'm the first to mention Yes. I know they are progressive rock, but in my eyes they blazed a trail for other groups in that genre as much as the Beatles and Led Zeppelin did in their respective genres (pop and hard rock). Anyhow, great topic! :) missy

You're right, it's a shame that Yes gets overlooked or just lumped in with other progressive groups who, IMO, their music stands head and shoulders above. Jon Anderson is amazingly prolific as a solo artist as well, and his songwriting is still at a very high level of quality. I was listening to his "Earthmotherearth" CD on the way to work this morn. WAIT THOUGH! I just remembered that Jon became a U.S. citizen a year or two ago. He said he was inspired by Barack Obama's election. That's sweet, but what's he gonna do when we elect someone like George W. again?

You're right, it's a shame that Yes gets overlooked or just lumped in with other progressive groups who, IMO, their music stands head and shoulders above. Jon Anderson is amazingly prolific as a solo artist as well, and his songwriting is still at a very high level of quality. I was listening to his "Earthmotherearth" CD on the way to work this morn. WAIT THOUGH! I just remembered that Jon became a U.S. citizen a year or two ago. He said he was inspired by Barack Obama's election. That's sweet, but what's he gonna do when we elect someone like George W. again?

Yes they were (ouch) head and above all the other Progsters in the 70's, "I've seen all good people" into Yes over the years, but not alot thank goodness have been an "Owner of a lonely heart", I myself might have been "Close to the edge" on a couple of occasions, but if I were "Going for the one" then I like "Relayer" <_<:D

If you feel so inclined, have a listen to "Awaken" and/or "Siberian Khatru" by Yes. They'll knock yer socks off. There is also a DVD of a concert they did in Montreux a few years ago that is just jaw-dropping. Their musicianship and energy was amazing, esp. for guys on the wrong side of 60. What a shame they fell out with Anderson.

If you feel so inclined, have a listen to "Awaken" and/or "Siberian Khatru" by Yes. They'll knock yer socks off. There is also a DVD of a concert they did in Montreux a few years ago that is just jaw-dropping. Their musicianship and energy was amazing, esp. for guys on the wrong side of 60. What a shame they fell out with Anderson.

"awaken" is very magical and a fave of mine if not my all time Yes track is "Close to the Edge" which is avant-garde, rock, ethereal. We are very lucky in England for so many great bands from the 60's and 70's.

Have i ummmmmmmmm...............mentioned the Queen?

queensize.gif

you know when they draw the royal blinds.....they're really just like U n Me :rolleyes:

Dan all my women in the chick thread are fully clothed...thnx ...Ron

I am not sure what is worse, having a Royal Family that is archaic or baffoons like this ?? its a difficult one...... <_< .............

"George_Bush_Is_Funny.jpg"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ like it,like it but you do win though, although and I am not a fan of our old Royals or the Queen at all, they are harmless, they bring in a few quid to our state as alot of you like coming over to see them to see a castle etc, we all live in em, but the thing is what makes us all laugh around the world is, you are ment to be the leaders of the free world, yet as you say you can vote em out, but this is crucial here,You vote them in in the first place :blink: then when 4 years comes up you vote them in again. he actually does damage by you voting him in , but the Queen bless her doesn't actually doesn't have a say. So we are all safe.

Its ok though we all smile from over here.......its cool God Bless You all :rolleyes:

God her and Reagan really buggered the world up <_<

The day "MaggieThatcher the Milk Snatcher" dies is the day I take my next drink. :D

Kind Regards, Danny

PS, Reagan was somebody else's Puppet, or should I say Muppet? :lol: Whereas Thatcher was her own boss. :o

Thatcher did loads of good things for the UK and the world. It's trendy to hate her.

Like what?

PS,

And as for being trendy I hated her before she came to power in1979, remember when she took away the milk in primary schools?

This woman was born to hated, all she knew was how to attack the working class at each and every opportunity, she even used the teachings of Sun Tsu as a weapon against us.

Regards, Danny

Like what?

PS,

And as for being trendy I hated her before she came to power in1979, remember when she took away the milk in primary schools?

This woman was born to hated, all she knew was how to attack the working class at each and every opportunity, she even used the teachings of Sun Tsu as a weapon against us.

Regards, Danny

Well Thatcher decimated British manufacturing with her commitment to free market economics, and closed lots of coal mines.

On the good side, though, with low levels of investment and high levels of unemployment she wasn't able to 'roll back the state' as much as she wanted to in terms of welfare spending. In reality, if you look at the GDP figures, the level of public expenditure on social welfare was the same in late-1980s as it was under Labour in the mid to late 1970s. Thankfully, Thatcher had to back-down on a lot of election manifesto proposals.

I personally think David Cameron is going even further than Thatcher. He's not creating jobs or investing in Britain, whilst at the same time slashing away at welfare spending, especially social housing. The social costs of this are going to be enormous. Cameron's 'big society' is nothing more than a smokescreen for cuts to local government and the public sector.

God her and Reagan really buggered the world up dry.gif

FINALLY, some REALISTIC talk here:):):)......we are paying TODAY along with the recent Wall St / global crisis what those 2 CULPRITS did in the 2nd dark ages called the 1980's!:). Mind you, the OBNOXIOUS Berlin Wall HAD to tumble and the 2 blocs HAD to meet half way and wipe out the "Cold War", but what poositive things did this clean-up give us?? NOTHING GOOD....the 2 re.united Germanys are struggling more than ever and so and so on:):):)

Well Thatcher decimated British manufacturing with her commitment to free market economics, and closed lots of coal mines.

On the good side, though, with low levesl of investment and high levels of unemployment she wasn't able to 'roll back the state' as much as she wanted to in terms of welfare spending. In reality, if you look at the GDP figures, the level of public expenditure on social welfare was the same in late-1980s as it was under Labour in the mid to late 1970s. Thankfully, Thatcher had to back-down on a lot of election manifesto proposals.

I personally think David Cameron is going even further than Thatcher. He's not creating jobs or investing in Britain, whilst at the same time slashing away at welfare spending, especially social housing. The social costs of this are going to be enormous. Cameron's 'big society' is nothing more than a smokescreen for cuts to local government and the public sector.

Thatcher was so strong she took it out on the humble coal miners...wow, what a super heroine:):)!!!

Thatcher certainly did what she believed in, she was strong willed, so will give her that, but The Tories always have to tinker with the NHS, something this country has to be proud of, Thatcher certainly did that and was right in the middle of it all in the late 80's with the NHS, not always for the better.

In one way you could say the fact Thatcher let council tennants buy and own their own home is on the surface a good thing, but the fact they then didn't replace the sold off houses with others for people who needed to get a roof over their head, undid the former, it just made more people greedy but not actually helping the ones who need it. Its ok for most of us on here who probably own their homes etc, but to sell council houses off and not replace with new is just wrong. Not for the people who bought them as thats wonderful for teh tennants having an option to buy....just replace if your going to do it, as once those houses were sold, they then resold to other home owners and not to people who were on the waiting list.

Thatcher sold everything and sold our souls, but to say its trendy to dislike her is a very glib comment, you only have to look at the facts.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived