cleaning vinyl records

slave to zep

Went through my collection a couple days ago, here's what I did:

Got six gallons of distilled water, poured three in one sink, three in the other. Put exactly one drop of dish soap in one side.

Put record on paper towel, poured some isopropyl alcohol on top side and cleaned with a paint edger brush thoroughly. Going around the record about twelve times.

Repeat other side (paper towel soaks up excess alcohol). Dip in soap water first, then the clean water, very quickly as not to soak center label. Dry thoroughly with paper towels. 

Even the dirtiest records now play like new. I tried the wood glue method and was very disappointed. Not only does it take forever, the glue sometimes gets stuck in the grooves.

55 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Went through my collection a couple days ago, here's what I did:

Got six gallons of distilled water, poured three in one sink, three in the other. Put exactly one drop of dish soap in one side.

Put record on paper towel, poured some isopropyl alcohol on top side and cleaned with a paint edger brush thoroughly. Going around the record about twelve times.

Repeat other side (paper towel soaks up excess alcohol). Dip in soap water first, then the clean water, very quickly as not to soak center label. Dry thoroughly with paper towels. 

Even the dirtiest records now play like new. I tried the wood glue method and was very disappointed. Not only does it take forever, the glue sometimes gets stuck in the grooves.

good but NEVER use a paper towel, use a lint free cloth

55 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Is it because of scratching or lint?

Both, unbelievable that anyone would suggest using paper towel, no, no, no....

3 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Eh, worked great for mine. I only used them for drying, not cleaning.

papertowels are basically made out of scrap paper and rags they are full of lint and garbage

4 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Noted, never thought about that. I'll just use them on my Tull records from now on lol.

No not the prog-rock, use them on the punk rock;)

• 3 months later...

Aren't paper record sleeves garbage? Aren't they bad for your vinyls? Don't they scratch them more? Was thinking about replacing some of my albums with paper record sleeves with plastic record sleeves.

Archived