Appreciation for Jimmy Page's Musical Legacy

Stop playing games. In a thread about Page's musical legacy you called him the least prolific member and that's just not true. You have some hang up about the guy and it's obvious in your posts.

Any "hang ups" are solely on your part. Perhaps if you'd put the rose-colored tint of your fanboy-dom aside long enough you'd be willing to admit that if Page actually was more prolific than Plant or Jones we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Any "hang ups" are solely on your part. Perhaps if you'd put the rose-colored tint of your fanboy-dom aside long enough you'd be willing to admit that if Page actually was more prolific than Plant or Jones we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

I don't need your shit you fucking irritant. Take your Johnny Cash finger and stuff it.

Apparently your "perceptions" don't include anything from Robert Plant. Last time I checked, he was also a member of Led Zeppelin. As for Page, I count 6 albums of new original material he's released since the demise of Led Zeppelin:

Death Wish II Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

The Firm

Mean Business

Coverdale/Page

Outrider

Walking Into Clarksdale

What is the 7th?

He probably means the "Unledded" album. Only 3 or 4 original songs on that and not a full album's worth of material.

He was actually referring to "Whatever Happened to Jugula?", an album credited to Roy Harper AND Jimmy Page.

Yes, it is but as I previously noted Page isn't credited with writing any of the songs. With the exception of one (which was written by Roy Harper and David Gilmour) they were all penned by Harper. Great album, btw and definitely one of my favorites from Page post-Zep. None of which changes the fact that he's been the least prolific of the surviving members of Led Zeppelin.

Yes, it is but as I previously noted Page isn't credited with writing any of the songs. With the exception of one (which was written by Roy Harper and David Gilmour) they were all penned by Harper. Great album, btw and definitely one of my favorites from Page post-Zep. None of which changes the fact that he's been the least prolific of the surviving members of Led Zeppelin.

Jugula is aslo one of my fave's , 1984ish is really good, also the pissing on my shoe song cracks me up .

He contributed as a guitarist, enough that the album was co-credited to Harper and Page. Arguably a more creative endeavor for Jimmy than say, Dreamland was for Robert. Are you not counting Robert's covers projects too? And if you're referring to writing new material, I still don't see how Jones has been more prolific than Page.

He contributed as a guitarist, enough that the album was co-credited to Harper and Page. Arguably a more creative endeavor for Jimmy than say, Dreamland was for Robert. Are you not counting Robert's covers projects too?

Page plays guitar on the album but isn't listed in the credits as a songwriter whereas Roy Harper and David Gilmour are. Chicago's point in the discussion was that Page released "7 full blown releases featuring his original compositions". Even though Chicago has never confirmed that he was referring to Jugula as one of the seven, I wouldn't count it. It's an album he obviously contributed to but it doesn't fall under the category of a "full blown release featuring his (Page's) original compositions". Good point on Plant but I wouldn't necessarily refer to Dreamland strictly as a "covers project" since several of the songs on there were actually originals.

And if you're referring to writing new material, I still don't see how Jones has been more prolific than Page.

Prior to Chicago entering the discussion, my orignal point was that post-Zep, Page has been the least prolific overall. Plant has clearly released the most albums and been the most active both on the stage and off but John Paul Jones isn't far behind which includes not only his solo work but producing and playing on other artists' albums and his live performances. Post-Zep, Page has largely been out of the spotlight, especially compared to Plant and Jones.

Im a firm (no pun intended) believer that artistic ability is 99.8 percent a mental exercise and therefor doesnt just "dry up" unless one stops using his/her mind of course. Its something that one has to USE and PRACTICE to keep it going, just like anything else. Its obvious from several sources including Page himself that the demise of Led Zeppelin had an extremly negative impact not only on his artistic life, but his personal one as well. Top that with a tremedous amount of drug usage and creativity can for sure be stunted, or even stoped (as can a heart if its to much.) IMO I still think Page had every ounce of creativity he had while in Led Zep. Its just been tappered off and at times even hidden, but its there. Stay clean, get some like minded artist to work with and he could spit out a damn good album, easily!

P.S. Oh yeah, drop the "Cant do anything without Robert proposition" to.

Unsure on the meaning of your statement with regard to why I'm writing and logged in in the first place (that purpose on my part being that I'm looking for a song). Your statements on use and practice of a basic ability are well taken -- all round I think I agree. You also seemed to reference a place to use such basic talents (in Page's case, considerable talents). This is my first time on this website, so my statements may seem a little confused. I was looking for a song off "The Song Remains the Same."

The first sentence in this response might seem a bit odd to you -- I understand, but please also understand I'm a bit lost in cyberspace myself. Your "p.s." indicated that the other band members couldn't do anything without Plant -- I don't know to whom you were speaking, but yes, I think I agree with you on that too -- they were all quite talented.... and still are.

If you could help me out with the song that would be great, or any other response you care to send of course.

Page plays guitar on the album but isn't listed in the credits as a songwriter whereas Roy Harper and David Gilmour are. Chicago's point in the discussion was that Page released "7 full blown releases featuring his original compositions". Even though Chicago has never confirmed that he was referring to Jugula as one of the seven, I wouldn't count it. It's an album he obviously contributed to but it doesn't fall under the category of a "full blown release featuring his (Page's) original compositions". Good point on Plant but I wouldn't necessarily refer to Dreamland strictly as a "covers project" since several of the songs on there were actually originals.

Prior to Chicago entering the discussion, my orignal point was that post-Zep, Page has been the least prolific overall. Plant has clearly released the most albums and been the most active both on the stage and off but John Paul Jones isn't far behind which includes not only his solo work but producing and playing on other artists' albums and his live performances. Post-Zep, Page has largely been out of the spotlight, especially compared to Plant and Jones.

It seems you have a sliding scale of what "prolific" means. For Jimmy it's measured by new songs written, for Jones it encompasses other things.

Either way, seems a bit inappropriate to use a thread that's supposed to tip a cap to Page for this kind of stuff. It's not like this hasn't been discussed in other threads.

all this round and round seems to only consider the creative zenith as to his songwriting prowess. but i have seen page melt the tallow off the candles live many times and i've never been let down. so, his being a dry well since '75 may be true as to his zep contributions but as a performer, he was magical all the way up to his last performances with the crowes.

yep, i said it....

all this round and round seems to only consider the creative zenith as to his songwriting prowess. but i have seen page melt the tallow off the candles live many times and i've never been let down. so, his being a dry well since '75 may be true as to his zep contributions but as a performer, he was magical all the way up to his last performances with the crowes.

yep, i said it....

Yep you sure did Beatbo, Jimmy's legacy of maybe 100 songs or so will stand the test of time more-so than any other contemporary composer, he is the Mozart or Beethoven or even the BIGDAN of his time. :D:lol:

Very Kind Regards, Danny

It seems you have a sliding scale of what "prolific" means. For Jimmy it's measured by new songs written, for Jones it encompasses other things.

I addressed that in my last post. Before Chicago entered the thread, I was referencing Page's work overall. Once Chicago started posting he was referring to Page's "full blown release featuring his (Page's) original compositions".

Either way, seems a bit inappropriate to use a thread that's supposed to tip a cap to Page for this kind of stuff. It's not like this hasn't been discussed in other threads.

How is it "inappropriate"? Is this just supposed to be a thread devoted to kissing Jimmy Page's ass? I'm not saying I don't appreciate Page but I am saying he's been the least prolific of the surviving members of Led Zeppelin since their demise in 1980. Seems folks have a hard time accepting such facts around here. By stating these facts, it doesn't make me any less of a fan. I certainly hope he releases a new record and tours this year but that remains to be seen. Then again, it's still only January.

Its a strange one, as the classical composers have been remembered all this time later, how many artists from the 1950's will be remembered in 100/200 years time like The Masters ? I would say led Zeppelin will be there alongside. We all appreciate Page's contribution to music, his stuff with Zeppelin is gospel, but the only music from Page post Zep on ipod is from "Coverdale/Page", and "Who's to Blame from Deathwish II" and "Most High" from Walking into Clarksdale.

IMO, I think Coverdale/Page is a very underated effort on the part of Page. In my mind its the most "Zeppelinesq" of any album put out by the remaining members post Zeppelin, including Plant. Its all there, Rock, Blues, even a little mix of world, the kind of stuff that could be found on many/most Zeppelin albums. Knowing what I know now, I would have actually at least MUSICALLY, seen that project move forward instead of the Page/Plant collaberation stuff. (Ducks for cover). But then on the other hand it was incredible just to see those two men playing together on stage again, damn what a thrill. I was lucky enough to do that in 98 in Tampa. Will always remember that as being so special as a fan. But musically, Unledded and WCD fell flat for me. But C/C didn't.

IMO, I think Coverdale/Page is a very underated effort on the part of Page. In my mind its the most "Zeppelinesq" of any album put out by the remaining members post Zeppelin, including Plant. Its all there, Rock, Blues, even a little mix of world, the kind of stuff that could be found on many/most Zeppelin albums. Knowing what I know now, I would have actually at least MUSICALLY, seen that project move forward instead of the Page/Plant collaberation stuff. (Ducks for cover). But then on the other hand it was incredible just to see those two men playing together on stage again, damn what a thrill. I was lucky enough to do that in 98 in Tampa. Will always remember that as being so special as a fan. But musically, Unledded and WCD fell flat for me. But C/C didn't.

I agree with alot of what you say, Unledded was ok, good to hear new versions, but yes it was live that P/P were at their best, great gigs the ones I went too.

I agree with alot of what you say, Unledded was ok, good to hear new versions, but yes it was live that P/P were at their best, great gigs the ones I went too.

I can agree to that.I saw 3 P/P gigs and during one show Robert even asked the audience:"Can you feel it?" And everybody could feel it!

But still it was diffrent from the 77 era.

I've said this before, IMHO he reached his artistic zenith in November 1975 while recording Presence in Munich.

"Tea" and "Achilles" were the eternal masterpieces lots of the masses ignore.

But if you ask a real fan he will put this numbers on his top ten list.

So I agree with you but would say that it was exactly the 1977 tour where the Guitarsolo and the

"Achilles" live version even went over the top.

So I agree with you but would say that it was exactly the 1977 tour where the Guitarsolo and the

Ah 1977 was only 11 :(,

Agree ALS is Jims best, Its the dogs dangley bits, Its a song or piece that only Page could come up with.

F...hell.Jimmy just put a spell on me a minute ago!

I wrote a long post that turned out to be a general critic....and it just disappear!

So I will come back to this later.

For now:

In 1976/77 my life changed (Presence/Film/US tour).

After Jimmy said in lots of interviews he got a fat studio/ a guitarsynth/ epic material

I was in heaven.Waiting for the next enlightning.But what happened?!?

A " Death Wish" that did not show long instrumentals, no power or even soundexperiments

of the older releases.Solo stuff that did not reach even the strengts of the "L.rising" soundtrack....

Maybe he puttet out this stuff under a diffrent name.

I haven´t got his book but this forum is the right place for him or his spokesmen to tell us

whas was and is going on,So come on! Please stop further speculations.

For being new in here I got to say :I still adore him deeply and thank him a million times!

Maybe he is playing a game with fate .Maybe he waits for too long. I really don´t know..oh...oh...I really don´t know oh....oh...

I got a feeling that the answere for lots of critics are very simply.But the main answere to this topic seem to be a secret

as the eternal power of Zeppelins music and the unbeleaveable echo for this art in the public.

How does one define a "real fan"? Is someone that considers "Stairway" their favorite song somehow considered a lesser fan for their choice? Just asking because I've never understood what is meant by the term "real fan".

Hope this helps with your answer........good luck.

REAL

–adjective 1. true; not merely ostensible, nominal, or apparent: the real reason for an act. 2. existing or occurring as fact; actual rather than imaginary, ideal, or fictitious: a story taken from real life. 3. being an actual thing; having objective existence; not imaginary: The events you will see in the film are real and not just made up. 4. being actually such; not merely so-called: a real victory. 5. genuine; not counterfeit, artificial, or imitation; authentic: a real antique; a real diamond; real silk. 6. unfeigned or sincere: real sympathy; a real friend. 7. Informal . absolute; complete; utter: She's a real brain.

FAN

–noun 1. any device for producing a current of air by the movement of a broad surface or a number of such surfaces. 2. an implement of feathers, leaves, paper, cloth, etc., often in the shape of a long triangle or of a semicircle, for waving lightly in the hand to create a cooling current of air about a person: We SAT on the veranda, cooling ourselves with palm-leaf fans. 3. anything resembling such an implement, as the tail of a bird. 4. any of various devices consisting essentially of a series of radiating vanes or blades attached to and revolving with a central hublike portion to produce a current of air: ceiling fan; wall fan. 5. a series of revolving blades supplying air for winnowing or cleaning grain.

Hope this helps in your reply

Archived