Jahfin

mag_cover.jpg

The latest issue of Uncut includes a CD that features a lot of music we can look forward to this year. It also has an entire section devoted to new music, one of which is a new album from Emmylou Harris so I'm adding that to the list.

From American Songwriter:

Steve Earle Readies New Album, Novel: I’ll Never Get Out Of This World Alive

steve-earle.jpg

By Evan Schlansky

On April 26, New West Records will release I’ll Never Get Out Of This World Alive, the new, T Bone Burnett-produced studio album from Steve Earle. The album, which derives its name from a Hank Williams song, is the first collection of new material from Earle since 2007’s Grammy-winning Washington Square Serenade.

“They are all, as far as I can tell, about mortality in one way or the other; death as a mystery rather than a punctuation mark or at least, a comma rather than a period,” writes Earle of the new songs in the album’s liner notes.

Two of the album’s tracks (“God is God” and “I Am a Wanderer”) were covered by Joan Baez on the 2008 Earle-produced album, Day After Tomorrow. “Heaven Or Hell” is a duet with wife Allison Moorer, and “The City” previously appeared in the HBO show Treme. (Earle will be rejoining the cast of Treme this year for the show’s second season.)

I’ll Never Get Out Of This World Alive is also the name of Earle’s debut novel, which is due May 12 via Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. It tells the story of Doc Ebersole, a doctor who is haunted by the ghost of his former patient Hank Williams.

I’ll Never Get Out Of This World Alive track listing:

1. Waitin’ On The Sky

2. Little Emperor

3. The Gulf of Mexico

4. Molly – O

5. God is God

6. Meet Me In The Alleyway

7. Every Part of Me

8. Lonely Are The Free

9. Heaven or Hell (with Allison Moorer)

10. I Am A Wanderer

11. This City

Well, the Swedish "Doom Metal" outfit "Burning Saviours" is going to be releasing a new single in February, this year. Hopefully, it will be available as an itunes download! That is something to look forward to, in my book! :)

Also, I'm kinda hoping that "Burning Saviours" might even release a brand new album this year...:smiley_pray:

That new Iron & Wine album sure is a grower. I was a little disappointed at first but after about 5 listens or so it has really opened up. Sam Beam seems to have gone for an even fuller sound, using a full band to give the songs more dimensions. Favourite tracks: Walking Far From Home, Tree By The River, Monkeys Uptown, Rabbit Will Run, Your Fake Name Is Good Enough For Me.

Concerning The Shrine found this nice review of their debut on their facebook page. Pretty excited to see them again in less than two weeks.

On the night of November 6th, 1979 Black Sabbath was at their most drug addled and explosive standing. They were on tour supporting their newly released Never Say Die album and had a night off in Los Angeles. After knocking back a few drinks at the infamous Rainbow Bar, they decided to check out the local rock scene at the Whiskey A-Go-Go. Arriving late, they caught the tail end of a set by The Circle Jerks. Feeling intimidated yet inspired, they rented a rehearsal space and spent the rest of the night jamming. For an unknown reason they exclusively played Thin Lizzy material and Keith Moon was sitting in… These events never took place. But if they did, the results may have sounded similar to Los Angeles’s The Shrine. Formed in 2008, The Shrine play a houserocking breed of heavy, psychedelic, riff based Rock n’ Roll. Their debut, recorded on vintage reel-to-reel tape, by local hero Dave O. Jones and under the auspices of the notorious Chuck Dukowski, is the perfect soundtrack to any debaucherous gathering of longhairs. If you and your rag-tag group of riff-raff friends are planning a road trip to Humboldt County to “Score”, this is the album you need to be listening to on the way. The Shrine is Josh Landau on guitar/vocals, Courtland Murphy on bass, and Jeff Murray on Drums. Dig It. -Harley Rother

From American Songwriter:

Steve Earle Readies New Album, Novel: I’ll Never Get Out Of This World Alive

steve-earle.jpg

By Evan Schlansky

On April 26, New West Records will release I’ll Never Get Out Of This World Alive, the new, T Bone Burnett-produced studio album from Steve Earle. The album, which derives its name from a Hank Williams song, is the first collection of new material from Earle since 2007’s Grammy-winning Washington Square Serenade.

“They are all, as far as I can tell, about mortality in one way or the other; death as a mystery rather than a punctuation mark or at least, a comma rather than a period,” writes Earle of the new songs in the album’s liner notes.

Two of the album’s tracks (“God is God” and “I Am a Wanderer”) were covered by Joan Baez on the 2008 Earle-produced album, Day After Tomorrow. “Heaven Or Hell” is a duet with wife Allison Moorer, and “The City” previously appeared in the HBO show Treme. (Earle will be rejoining the cast of Treme this year for the show’s second season.)

I’ll Never Get Out Of This World Alive is also the name of Earle’s debut novel, which is due May 12 via Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. It tells the story of Doc Ebersole, a doctor who is haunted by the ghost of his former patient Hank Williams.

I’ll Never Get Out Of This World Alive track listing:

1. Waitin’ On The Sky

2. Little Emperor

3. The Gulf of Mexico

4. Molly – O

5. God is God

6. Meet Me In The Alleyway

7. Every Part of Me

8. Lonely Are The Free

9. Heaven or Hell (with Allison Moorer)

10. I Am A Wanderer

11. This City

Sure looks good :)

It's been rumoured that Kate Bush will be releasing new music this year, which I am looking forward to a lot. The framework is still uncertain though, and apparently she doesn't have a full album's worth of music. There will also be re-releases of some of her older albums.

From the RockItOutBlog:

RS_SINGLESBOX_PS_0143_0.jpg

If you’re a fan of the Rolling Stones but only like the hit singles then you’re probably the brunt of a lot of jokes from hardcore Stones fans. Still, the band realize that people like you exist which is why they’re releasing a giant singles box set on April 11th.

The Rolling Stones Singles (1971-2006) includes 45 singles from the band along with rarities, re-mixes and live versions of the tracks which adds up to a grand total of 173 tracks. But, according to the post at the band’s website, that ain’t all you’re gettin’.

It comes in a striking pink box featuring the band’s trademark tongue design and replicates the original 7”, 12” and CD singles in miniature picture sleeves and labels. It also includes a 32-page hardback book packed with memorabilia, period photos, essay by renowned journalist, broadcaster and Stones expert Paul Sexton and features an exclusive new interview with Bill Wyman, the band’s former bassist and on-going archivist.

Plus, since every bit of music released in April is connected to Record Store Day in some way, the Stones are releasing a limited 7″ vinyl of “Brown Sugar” on April 16th.

Joe Bonamassa is set to release his 12th full-length solo album, DUST BOWL in the UK on March 21st and in the USA on March 22nd. The album will be promoted on Bonamassa’s forthcoming 2011 Dust Bowl World Tour that will take in America, Canada, Europe, Asia and Australia.

DUST BOWL is Bonamassa’s 9th studio release on Provogue Records in Europe and his J&R Adventures label (which he created with long-time manager Roy Weisman) in the US and his 6th collaboration with Dust Bowl’s producer, Kevin “Caveman” Shirley (Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Black Crowes, Black Country Communion).

Shirley most recently produced Bonamassa’s 2010 release, Black Rock, which entered the UK album chart at #14 and 2010′s self-titled debut album from Black Country Communion, the Bonamassa-helmed, British-American rock supergroup with Glenn Hughes (Deep Purple, Black Sabbath), Jason Bonham (Led Zeppelin, Foreigner) and Derek Sherinian (Billy Idol, Dream Theatre).

Recorded in sessions at Black Rock Studios in Santorini, Greece, Ben’s Studio in Nashville, TN, The Cave in Malibu, CA and The Village in Los Angeles, CA, Dust Bowl combines the gritty, blues-based tones of Bonamassa’s first albums with the fluid, genre-defying sounds he’s mastered in the years since, plus a dose of Nashville in duets with legends John Hiatt and Vince Gill

• 3 weeks later...

Brian Setzer's new bluegrass album. Click on the album cover below to hear his take on "Earl's Breakdown".

main.jpg

thewronglersw_jdgilmore_sepia.jpg?t=1299686734&s=51

Jimmie Dale Gilmore was a guest on Fresh Air with Terry Gross last night where he discussed his upcoming new album (due in May) called Heirloom Music. To listen to the interview click here.

• 2 weeks later...

Watch: Emmylou Harris Performs A Tiny SXSW Concert

by NPR STAFF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjwZ5pcY8ho

NPR Music — and OK, most of the country — has got a lot of love for the country songstress Emmylou Harris. She set up a stool in an unsuspecting room at The Driskill Hotel in Austin, Texas amidst the madness of SXSW 2011 for a mellow performance.

Harris performed "Darlin' Kate," a tribute to the late Kate McGarrigle. It appears on her upcoming release Hard Bargain out April 26.

Archived