Jahfin

Watch: Emmylou Harris Performs A Tiny SXSW Concert

by NPR STAFF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjwZ5pcY8ho

NPR Music — and OK, most of the country — has got a lot of love for the country songstress Emmylou Harris. She set up a stool in an unsuspecting room at The Driskill Hotel in Austin, Texas amidst the madness of SXSW 2011 for a mellow performance.

Harris performed "Darlin' Kate," a tribute to the late Kate McGarrigle. It appears on her upcoming release Hard Bargain out April 26.

That was very understated and beautiful.

Harris also participated in the tribute to Kate at the 2010 Meltdown Festival along with Kate's kids, Martha and Rufus (among others).

So, the segue to the 2011 album I'm looking forward to is that Rufus has fathered a child with Lorca Cohen, daughter of Leonard (yes, you read that right. They might have just out-modern-familied Modern Family :D), which brings me to:

Leonard Cohen Plotting New Album for 2011

I'm really looking forward to hearing "Still Into That (A Thousand Kisses Deep No. 2)" - still the best song title ever :wub::faint1: (it's/they've been around for a while, but has been revamped on the recent tour so hopefully it'll make the final cut for the album) and "Feels So Good" (a new song, video in link above)..."Feels so good, baby, not to love you like I did/It's like they tore away my blind fold and said, 'We're gonna let this prisoner live'..." B)

New stuff by The Cars!!!!! Giddy-up! Thanks for posting!

This is one of many bands I have been wanting to hear from again.

I wasn't too big on them at first but as the years passed I grew pretty fond of their first two records. Beyond that, they really started to repeat themselves a great deal. By the time of Heartbeat City I was quite tired of them (despite some clever videos). All that said, these two new songs sound very fresh to my ears. Of course, most of the reviewers will comment on the loss of Ben Orr which is very understandable but aside from that, it sounds like they haven't lost any of their initial touch.

ZZ Top is "in full production" on a new album, its long-awaited follow-up to 2003's "Mescalero," which guitarist Billy F. Gibbons predicts will be out "by the end of the year."

Gibbons says that the Texas trio has been working on the set in both Houston and Los Angeles. "I've got a little studio at my house out in L.A.," he says, "and it kind of takes the load off to be able to leave Texas, go to California, stay there for awhile, and then you get to leave California and come back to Texas."

As for the sound, Gibbons notes that he, Dusty Hill and Frank Beard are "still just making a lot of loud noise. We still pose as interpreters of the blues. We can't invent it; It's already been invented. But we can do it our way." Gibbons adds that the album will be comprised primarily of originals but that the group "might cover a couple of things."

Speaking of covers, a ZZ Top tribute album is also on the way, with Foo Fighters, Steven Tyler, Nickelback and Kid Rock taking part, according to Gibbons. A representative from Universal South says the collection is still being recorded and compiled with no title, release date, or firm track list in place yet.

ZZ Top, meanwhile, hits the road with Lynyrd Skynyrd for the Rebels & Bandoleros Tour that stars May 12 in Wichita, Kansas, and plays 11 dates over three weeks.

517TblFx52L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This is Tara's second solo effort. Her first was the very excellent Mule To Ride, which came out in '99. Here she is joined by Allison Moorer, Levon Helm, Jim Lauderdale and others. It was recorded by Larry Campbell at Levon's studio in Woodstock, NY. Tara is a member of Donna the Buffalo, the band she fronts along with Jeb Puryear. The clip below is of Tara and Jeb playing "Snowbird" at Shakori Hills in Silk Hope, NC last year. Her new record is due out on May 3rd.

Do you pick album covers to post here based on the gaudy artwork alone or do you actually listen to them?

This might come to a surprise to you, but YES, I actually LISTEN to them. Having said that, I am also deep into the visuals of things esp in the Ks......for example, if I'm looking for a good new band, I tend to 'study' the artwork of their album(s) to see if it's worthwhile, on the basis of MY personal tastes, to actually follow that band or not.........90% of the time, if I dig the artwork, I also end up digging the contents as well....of course the merit is NOT mine, but of people who do the artwork on the albums:):):):)

This might come to a surprise to you, but YES, I actually LISTEN to them. Having said that, I am also deep into the visuals of things esp in the Ks......for example, if I'm looking for a good new band, I tend to 'study' the artwork of their album(s) to see if it's worthwhile, on the basis of MY personal tastes, to actually follow that band or not.........90% of the time, if I dig the artwork, I also end up digging the contents as well....of course the merit is NOT mine, but of people who do the artwork on the albums:):):):)

Just curious. Your penchant for loud album covers has often made me wonder if you'd actually post a photo of something like the Beatle's White Album if you were listening to it or if you would have to take a can of Day Glo paint to it first.

Just curious. Your penchant for loud album covers has often made me wonder if you'd actually post a photo of something like the Beatle's White Album if you were listening to it or if you would have to take a can of Day Glo paint to it first.

Indeed, you chose an album as your ref which I don't particularly care for musically:). On the contrary, I like Metallica's black album and if I were listening to that one, I'd post it:):):)

I really could care less what the album art looks like. I don't buy albums for what's on the cover, I buy them for the music. As far as I'm concerned, albums could be released in plain white sleeves for all I care. Yeah it's nice if the artist puts some thought into the cover, or if it reflects in a way what the music is about, but it's hardly necessary IMO.

I really could care less what the album art looks like. I don't buy albums for what's on the cover, I buy them for the music. As far as I'm concerned, albums could be released in plain white sleeves for all I care. Yeah it's nice if the artist puts some thought into the cover, or if it reflects in a way what the music is about, but it's hardly necessary IMO.

I love packaging. I especially love it that current bands such as the Drive-By Truckers (though they're far from the only ones) still invest a great deal of time and money in album artwork. In fact, Wes Freed, the guy that does all of their artwork also does individual posters for every concert they do. Thanks to folks like them, it's a very vital part of the music listening experience that's being kept alive. As Shelby Lynne said, "you can't roll a joint on an iPod".

D2LP01.JPG

Wes-Freed-Gig-Poster-web.jpg

tumblr_kzezzwEeak1qzu0d5o1_500.jpg

Gatefold for Ryan Adams & the Cardinals' Cold Roses album.

More on the upcoming Gourds record from the Houston Press Lonesome Onry & Mean blog:

Gourds Drummer Lives The Dream At Levon Helm's Studio

By William Michael Smith

gourds%20carrico%20apr12-thumb-560x373.jpg

John Carrico

Hanging out with the Band's legendary drummer Levon Helm would be a dream for almost any other timekeeper. The Gourds have just returned to Austin from two weeks of recording at Helm's studio in Woodstock, N.Y, where drummer Keith Langford got to live the dream.

The untitled album, the follow-up to last year's Haymaker!, is now being mixed and wlll be released in mid-September. Lonesome, Onry and Mean caught up with Langford as he waited outside his son's school.

To read the interview with Keith click here.

Archived