Jahfin

New double CD due on October 25th.

51MnSvji-ML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Disc One - Studio Performance

1. Hello In There

2. Souvenirs

3. Great Society Conflict Veteran's Blues (early "Sam Stone")

4. Paradise

5. Blue Umbrella

6. Aw Heck

7. Illegal Smile

8. Flashback Blues

9. The Frying Pan

10. Sour Grapes

11. A Star, A Jewel, And A Hoax

Disc Two - Live Performance

1. Flashback Blues

2. Hello In There

3. Your Flag Decal Won't Get You Into Heaven Anymore

4. The Great Compromise

5. Blue Umbrella

6. Illegal Smile

7. Angel From Montgomery

8. A Good Time

9. Hey Good Lookin' > Jambalaya (On The Bayou)

10. Quiet Man

11. Paradise

12. Great Society Conflict Veteran's Blues (early "Sam Stone")

13. Spanish Pipedream

Read the press release here.

From rollingstones.com:

Rolling_Stones_SG_box_mock.jpg

The Rolling Stones are pleased to announce the release on November 21, 2011 of the re-mastered, expanded, Super-Deluxe, Deluxe and Digital editions of Some Girls, the groundbreaking album which introduced the music of the Rolling Stones to a whole new generation of fans.

Justly considered one of the finest works by Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts, Bill Wyman and Ronnie Wood, Some Girls topped the US charts over three decades ago and remains the best selling album of their storied career. This new package will include some undiscovered gems that include tracks that have recently been unearthed from the Rolling Stones vaults by producer Don Was. Further details of the tracks will be unveiled at a later date.

Some Girls is the Rolling Stones' most direct and diverse collection of material, from Mick Jagger's irresistible falsetto on the four-on-the-floor filler Miss You, their eighth US number one, to the country-flavoured Far Away Eyes via the Chuck Berry meets punk snarl of Respectable. And let's not forget the sensuous, Beast Of Burden, one of Keith Richards’ finest tunes, which reached number 8 on the US singles chart, the garage rock of Shattered, the album's third US Top 40 entry, and the soulful swagger of the group's version of The Temptations' Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me), another timeless offering in their canon of classic Stones Motown covers.

Following the critical praise and commercial success afforded the re-mastered, expanded editions of Exile On Main Street, which matched the chart performance of the epochal 1972 album, and returned the Rolling Stones to their rightful place at the top of the British charts in 2010, the extensive reissue of Some Girls constitutes the next step in the band's ongoing relationship with Universal Music Group. This started in April 2008 with Shine A Light, the soundtrack from the stunning concert film directed by Martin Scorsese, and has encompassed the reissues of the Rolling Stones re-mastered, post-1971 studio albums, several live albums and classic compilations, and the exhaustive box-set Singles 1971-2006 earlier this year.

Some Girls holds a special place in the history of the Rolling Stones and demonstrates why they remain one of the most thrilling and influential bands of all time. The 1978 album features a Keith Richards' classic Before They Make Me Run, a signature song he stills performs defiantly to this day. Some Girls documented Mick Jagger's love of 70’s funk reflected in Miss You, the dance track that wrongfooted many people, made the club and black charts, and made it okay for other mainstream acts at the time to ‘go disco’.

The 1978 album courted controversy because of Jagger's tongue-in-cheek lyrics on the title track, on Miss You and on Respectable, perceived as a retort to the punk and new wave groups who had borrowed so much attitude and copped so many anti-establishment moves from the Rolling Stones. Ironically, the furore around the elaborate Some Girls package, designed by Peter Corriston and featuring the band members in drag – a nod in the direction of the picture on their 1966 single Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing in the Shadow? – and likenesses of Lucille Ball, Farrah Fawcett, Raquel Welch, Judy Garland and Marilyn Monroe that hadn't been legally cleared, necessitating a swift withdrawal and rethink.

Some Girls demonstrated the distinctive and definitive riffing from Keith Richards, with its abundance of unstoppable licks and majestic power chords driving the band into its brand new musical direction. This album not only defined him and his playing, but also defined a new era for the Rolling Stones, which Richards since described as a ‘sense of renewal’. Some Girls marks the only other time since recording Satisfaction where Richards used an effects pedal to ‘elevate’ the sound.

The album cemented the position of guitarist Ronnie Wood, who had joined in 1975, and added his trademark slide and pedal steel playing to several of the album's most memorable tracks, including When The Whip Comes Down and Shattered. He also co-wrote the Shattered B-side Everything Is Turning To Gold. Some Girls also marked a move to the Pathé Marconi Studios in Paris for the Glimmer Twins production team of Jagger and Richards. These factors helped what is arguably the group's most focused and dynamic album, driven by the sans pareil rhythm section of drummer Charlie Watts and bassist Bill Wyman. Some Girls featured fewer guest musicians than any Rolling Stones albums since 1971, but the contributions keyboard-player Ian McLagan, Wood's bandmate in The Faces, saxophone-player Mel Collins, and harmonica-player Sugar Blue – discovered busking on the Paris métro – made Miss You in particular sound brighter than ever.

Amongst many eagerly-awaited extras, the Super-Deluxe edition of Some Girls will include a stunning, previously unseen Helmut Newton photo session from 1978, an essay by esteemed author and journalist Anthony DeCurtis putting the album in its cultural context, and a 7” single of Beast Of Burden/When The Whip Comes Down in its banned sleeve.

Thirty-three years on from its original release, the re-mastered, expanded, Super-Deluxe, Deluxe and Digital editions of Some Girls show why the 1978 album has often been hailed as the equal of Exile On Main Street. Some Girls is both a time capsule and a timeless listen. It features the band at their tightest and toughest, at their most vibrant and vital. It's an all-killer, no-filler, must-have album. It still packs a punch.

SOME GIRLS - now bigger, brighter and better than ever.

In view of how the Stones have blown the last three reissues they were responsible for, this is number one on my list of 2011 releases I'm skeptical of and maybe even dreading.

Looks like there will be a greatest hits collection called Part Lies, Part Heart, Part Truth, Part Garbage 1982 - 2011 from R.E.M. which will be released on November 15th. The following quote is from an article in The New York Times about their decision to break up after 31 years as a band:

Mike Mills, the bassist, said that he, Mr. Stipe and Peter Buck, the guitarist — the group’s original drummer, Bill Berry, retired in 1997 — had reached the decision while assembling a greatest-hits retrospective to be released in November.

“Working through our music and memories from over three decades was a hell of a journey,” Mr. Mills said in a statement. “We realized that these songs seemed to draw a natural line under the last 31 years of our working together.”

I saw a couple video clips, yesterday, from what I believe to be the forth coming Some Girls Live DVD. The clips were of "Beast Of Burden" and "All Down The Line". For the most part the camera stayed focused on Mick Jagger to the point of being annoying and that's disappointing as Keith was still pretty close to his prime while Mick's dress and antics left much to be desired on that tour.

KC_STORYBOOK_MOCKUP_005Ab1.jpg

Another new Kasey Chambers album, this one called Storybook which is due out on October 4th. Here's the tracklisting:

Gram Parsons ‘Return Of The Grievous Angel’: My dad and I have always related to each other through the music of Gram Parsons. Back in the days of the Dead Ringers I wrote a song called ‘Just like yesterday (song for Gram)’, where I sang: ‘And thanks to you, my father understands me.’ And it’s true. Gram’s music is something I grew up with; it was all around me, all the time, ever since I was a baby. It reminds me of growing up, of childhood.’

Townes Van Zandt ‘If I Needed You’ with Jimmy Barnes: ‘It’s a Townes Van Zandt song, and he’s one of my all-time favourite songwriters — the version recorded by Emmylou Harris and Don Williams is my pick. Emmylou has been a huge influence on me for longer than I can remember. Jimmy Barnes is a friend, who was kind enough to sing with me on this track. Singing with Barnesy - who wouldn’t want to do that!!

Suzanne Vega ‘Luka’: ‘I’ve always wanted to record it; it’s always been on my mind since I first heard it in the 1980s. I’ve always been fascinated by its contrasts: Luka has this beautiful melody matched to a dark and very hard-hitting topic.

Steve Earle ‘Nothing But A Child’ with the Lost Dogs: Steve was one of the more obvious choices for this album; his music has had a massive impact on me for such a long time. I first met him at Byron Bay, prior to playing at Bluesfest. He walked into the room, this big bear of a man, and offered me some chicken chips. I hate chicken chips, but who refuses Steve Earle? Not me.’

John Prine ‘Leave The Lights On’: ‘When we started our covers act, the Lost Dogs, we named ourselves after a John Prine album, Lost dogs and Mixed Blessings his music means that much to me. He’s another huge influence and the one act I must see before I die. Hasn’t happened yet, but I’m determined that one day I’ll see John Prine play.’

Hank Williams ‘I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry’ with Paul Kelly: ‘I think it’s probably the best country song ever written; it epitomises everything that’s ‘real’ country to me. When I first met Paul, I asked him who his favourite songwriters were. He said, ‘Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson and Hank Williams.’ I was shocked; I had Paul pegged as sort of a rock guy. I was so wrong.’

Matthew Ryan ‘Guilty’: ‘When our family group the Dead Ringer Band went to America for the first time, I saw Matthew play, purely by chance, at this Nashville venue called the Exit / Inn. Who is this guy, I wondered when he sauntered out on stage, his guitar slung low, rock star style. Then he started to sing, in that gravelly growl of his, and I was blown away, totally addicted. Guilty is one of the many Matthew Ryan songs I fell in love with on that night.’

Gillian Welch ‘Orphan Girl’ with Shane Nicholson: Like Patty Griffin, Gillian Welch is more of a recent influence. I love the way she sounds, that mountain vibe; it transports me to such an authentic place. It’s timeless, not just old-timey. I’ve recorded this with Shane, who’s not only my husband but my preferred singing partner of anyone in the world.’

Cyndi Lauper ‘True Colours’: ‘As a kid, I loved the way Cyndi Lauper sang and the songs she picked; I was more interested in that than the whole ‘quirky Cyndi’ thing. When I was 9, I made my public debut, singing one of Cyndi Lauper’s songs. My friend Caddie and I stood there in this little club in Southend, as still as statues, our eyes closed tight throughout the entire experience.’

Fred Eaglesmith ‘Water In The Fuel’: ‘My brother Nash and I used to sing this on stage as a duet. It takes a lot to get Nash on stage but this song is just so powerful, who could resist? Fred’s music was a huge influence on Barricades & Brickwalls. My Dad, my best friend Worm and I used to drive around in this beaten-up van, the three of us up the front and the gear in the back, and Fred on the stereo all the time. Fred’s a lovely, smart guy as I’ve come to learn, a lot less country than you’d think.’

Nanci Griffith ‘Wish It Would Rain’ with Ashleigh Dallas: ‘The first time I heard this song was by the beautiful singer ‘Jann Browne’. This song has lived with me forever and I’ve never tired of it. I’m singing it here with Ashleigh Dallas, an incredible young talent who’s been playing fiddle and singing in my band.

Paul Kelly ‘Everything’s Turning To White’: ‘If I could swap my career for that of one other person, it would be Paul Kelly. What’s not to love? Everyone knows his music and his songs, yet he’s not fussed over like some celebrity. I once did a duet with him at the Metro in Sydney and when he walked on the stage, the crowd’s response was so intense it was as though the roof was lifted off the place. Amazing. This my favourite Paul Kelly song — I’m totally convinced he becomes an old woman when he sings it.’

James McMurtry ‘Too Long In The Wasteland’: ‘I was appearing on an American radio program called Mountain Stage and James McMurtry was also on the bill. Both Nash and I were huge fans of this song and the album it came from, also called Too Long in the Wasteland. I’d just recorded a version of it, and had it with me. I went up to him backstage, introduced myself and said, ‘Mr McMurtry, I’ve just recorded a version of your song. I’m a huge fan.’ I handed him a copy. He looked at me and said, ‘Yeah, I’ve heard about that’ — and then he walked away! Not so impressed. Sometimes it’s best not to meet your heroes.’

Patty Griffin ‘Top Of The World’: ‘I was very pregnant with my second child, Arlo; at the time I was singing with our covers band called the Lost Dogs. I was running overdue with Arlo and got it into my head that if I sang this song, at the top of my lungs, maybe it would bring on the baby. As great as this song is, my plan didn’t work; it was a few more weeks before Arlo Ray was born. In a hospital, thankfully, not on stage.’

MOD-24700_REM_cover-1.jpg

Part Lies, Part Heart, Part Truth, Part Garbage, 1982 - 2011 -- Includes tracks from both the I.R.S. and Warner Brothers years plus three brand new songs; The new song, "We All Go Back To Where We Belong," goes to radio and for sale on October 18th. If so inclined you can read the complete press release here.

The track-listing for Part Lies, Part Heart, Part Truth, Part Garbage, 1982 - 2011:

Disc 1

Gardening At Night

Radio Free Europe

Talk About The Passion

Sitting Still

So. Central Rain (I'm Sorry)

(Don't Go Back To) Rockville

Driver 8

Life And How To Live It

Begin The Begin

Fall On Me

Finest Worksong

It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

The One I Love

Stand

Pop Song '89

Get Up

Orange Crush

Losing My Religion

Country Feedback

Shiny Happy People

Disc 2

The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite

Everybody Hurts

Man On The Moon

Nightswimming

What's The Frequency, Kenneth?

New Test Leper

Electrolite

At My Most Beautiful

The Great Beyond

Imitation Of Life

Bad Day

Leaving New York

Living Well Is The Best Revenge

Supernatural Superserious

UBerlin

Oh My Heart

Alligator_Aviator_Autopilot_Antimatter

A Month of Saturdays *

We All Go Back To Where We Belong*

Hallelujah*

*New songs

From Paste:

The Decemberists Reveal New EP

longlive.jpg?1317636014

Coming off a successful release of Colin Meloy’s book, a full year of touring, and the release of their LP, The Decemberists have now announced a new EP entitled Long Live The King.

The six-song EP will be released November 1 on Capitol and will include acoustic songs recorded during The King is Dead LP plus a cover of Grateful Dead’s “Row Jimmy”.

Check out the tracklist and the Decemberists’ cover of “Row Jimmy”:

If I'm not mistaken, this new solo offering from Drivin n' Cryin' frontman Kevn Kinney has already been released.

3d7a4be3ebc5126717723cd2b0bb43c9.jpg

Kevn Kinney & The Golden Palominos Release A Good Country Mile

Aug 2, 2011 – We’re very proud to announce the release of the first new Kevn Kinney solo record since 2004! Produced by Whisper Tames The Lion and (Whatever Happened To) The Great American Bubble Factory producer Anton Fier, this 10 track tour de force is Kevn’s finest solo work to date! Featured musicians include Anton Fier, Chris Masterson, Jim Campilongo, Andy Hess, Tony Scherr, Aaron Lee Tasjan, Jon Cowherd, Eleanor Masterson, Leslie Mendelson and Lianne Smith. Available on CD and iTunes.

Tracklisting:

1. Never Gonna Change

2. Gotta Move On (Again)

3. Challenge

4. Hurricane

5. Wild Dog Moon Pt. 2

6. A Good Country Mile

7. Set In Stone

8. Bird

9. In the Land (of Things That Used to Be)

10. Southwestern State

I'm looking forward to a Neutral Milk Hotel box set. Over at neutralmilkhotel.net they posted this message a few weeks ago:

"There are currently plans to release a two-volume set of early Neutral Milk Hotel, featuring music from the early, self-released cassettes, live performances, and unreleased recordings. The band wants to do this as a result of the excessive prices at which bootlegs are currently selling online and elsewhere. They will be available from Orange Twin. No date has been decided upon for released."

• 2 weeks later...

From RollingStone.com:

Bob Seger Releasing Career-Spanning Two-CD Set

In April, Seger said the idea of a two-disc set 'doesn't seem right to me'

By ANDY GREENE

main.jpg

Bob Seger

Patti Ouderkirk/WireImage

Bob Seger is releasing his first-ever two CD career retrospective disc on on November 21st. Entitled Ultimate Hits: Rock and Roll Never Forgets, the twenty-six track collection is a mix of hits ("Old Time Rock And Roll," "We've Got Tonight"), fan favorites ("Travelin' Man," "Beautiful Loser") and recent work ("Wait For Me," "Downtown Train"). The album will be available for download on iTunes and Amazon.com, marking the first time that many of his biggest hits will be officially available online.

Unlike virtually all of his peers, Seger has released very few hits albums. In 1994 he released Greatest Hits and in 2003 he released Greatest Hits 2. He has no box set, and many of his early albums aren't even in print. When we spoke with Seger in April, he said that he was against the idea of a two-CD hits set. "For this tour, [my label] called up a lot around Christmas and New Years and said, 'You can't just put the two greatest hits together as a reissue?'" Seger said. "I said, 'You know, that's just cheesy. Here's another greatest hits, here's another free lunch for me.' They're out there, people can buy them, and if you can buy anything, those are the ones you can buy, Greatest Hits 1 and 2, so I don't see a reason to . . . it doesn't seem right to me."

Seger's 2006 LP Face The Promise is only new album to hit shelves in the past 16 years, but he has been working on new material over the past year. "I'd say the next album is half done," Seger told Rolling Stone in April. "If the songwriting gods smile on me, it will be all new material. If they don't, it will be a mixture of what I've got now and and the best of the old [unreleased tracks.] It'll put out whatever the best songs are, new or old."

It's unclear what the status of the next album is, but Seger and the Silver Bullet Band are resuming their American tour November 2nd at Eastern Michigan University in Ypsilanti, Michigan. The tour runs 23 dates, wrapping up December 30th in Las Vegas.

Here's the complete track listing for Ultimate Hits: Rock and Roll Never Forgets:

DISC ONE

1. Old Time Rock And Roll

2. Hollywood Nights

3. Night Moves

4. Mainstreet

5. Roll Me Away

6. Turn The Page

7. Her Strut

8. Still The Same

9. You’ll Accomp’ny Me

10. We’ve Got Tonight

11. Like A Rock

12. Fire Lake

13. Tryin’ To Live My Life Without You

DISC TWO

1. Rock And Roll Never Forgets

2. Against The Wind

3. Ramblin’ Gamblin’ Man

4. The Fire Down Below

5. Travelin’ Man (Live)

6. Beautiful Loser (Live)

7. Shakedown

8. Shame On The Moon

9. Katmandu

10. Little Drummer Boy

11. Wait For Me

12. Hey Hey Hey Hey (Going Back To Birmingham)

13. Downtown Train

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I ended up listening to most of the albums released last year by surprise but this time there's a few I'm looking forward to.

R.E.M. - Collapse Into Now

Iron & Wine - Kiss Each Other Clean (coming out in less than a month actually)

New TCV album

New Radiohead album

That's all I can think for now to be honest.

I had a chance to meet R.E.M. while they were recording in New Orleans about a year ago. Also, some of the sessions where done in Rome I believe, but they were the first band to record in a new section of the studio they had just renovated (I was mixing some stuff there at the time with an engineer who worked with them) All really nice guys. The singer (Michael Strive, Stife...however you spell his last name) was a little distant from the rest of the guys and had a problem with drinking the tap water. For whatever reason he prefered it over bottled water, but not in New Orleans....They were pleased with the sound of the new room they recorded in...Sadly, I still haven't gotten around to listening to it, (the album) but I will. I think they are a fine band.

Archived