Robert Plant: Led Zeppelin 'a bit of a pain in the pisser'

emiliana

In the new issue of Rolling Stone — on stands and online in the digital archives now (subscription required) — Robert Plant explains to writer Stephen Rodrick why he was unwilling to keep performing with Led Zeppelin after their 2007 reunion concert.

"It was an amazing evening," Plant says. "The preparations for it were fraught and intense, but the last rehearsal was really, really good, for all that it represented and all that we were trying to capture. But I've gone so far somewhere else that I almost can't relate to it...It's a bit of a pain in the pisser to be honest. Who cares? I know people care, but think about it from my angle — soon, I'm going to need help crossing the street."

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/40951768/ns/today-entertainment/

The subtitle of this thread was sooooooo predictable, as was the fact that I'd pop up to note that he was talking just as much (if not mostly) about the constant pressure to do a reunion.

I will add though that I wish he'd stop banging on about how ancient he is. :P

I laughed my a$$ off when he said he will soon need help crossing the street...I don't think that's going on at all.

He clearly takes what he does seriously, he just doesn't take himself seriously. Sexy as hell!

Rock on.

Well there is a few here who would help him across the street :) . But because you get old doesn't mean you have to play old fart music <_< , But I respect him always for his musical directions he took, I got off the bus when he and Alsion did their thing...The Enchanter was the last geat thing he did in my opinion, but it is good he sings songs that he can cope with, no point trying to singlike he use to and failing, look at people like Whitney Houston, she just can't get those notes anymore and was booed of stage. Kudos Robert for creating you niche now. There were a few moments on the aired electric proms performance shown a few weeks back, moments of magic from him and the band, but half of it just doesn't float my boat (but being a fan I still sat through it all listening)

Loook another hero of mine Ritchie Blackmore goes around dressed as a minstral playing jester music, again Kudos for being happy and doing what you want to do (they both have earned the right to)as he like Robert doesn't want to be seen as an old codger churning out the riffs in tight spandex, just again I got off another heros bus a good few years back.

I laughed my a$$ off when he said he will soon need help crossing the street...I don't think that's going on at all.

He clearly takes what he does seriously, he just doesn't take himself seriously. Sexy as hell!

Rock on.

Well, to me a joke might be funny the first 15 times I hear it, but . . :D And to be honest, I don't think it arises from him not taking himself seriously, so much as whistling past the graveyard, i.e. making jokes about something to deflect attention from the fact that it does actually bother him.

(What's really funny here is me defending my thoughts to other Plant fans. :lol: )

While his recent musical directions haven't been my cup of tea, it's been great to see him at peace on the paths he's chosen.

Very well put. I respect Robert for what he is doing now. I find it all very uncomfortable to watch rock stars who won't give up the ghost, prancing and screeching about like they are still in their twenties. It's not very becoming. Although not a massive fan of Robert's recent output, I am in favour of the direction he has taken. It reflects the stage he is at in his life. Kudos to RP :thumbsup:

Just for general discussion, and not necessarily in this thread: why are certain kinds of music only appropriate to certain age groups? I've never understood that. (I'm talking about genres here--obviously it's not appropriate lyrically for someone in his 50s to be singing about high-school problems and parental rebellion, for example, unless he's the parent being rebelled against!)

Well, to me a joke might be funny the first 15 times I hear it, but . . :D And to be honest, I don't think it arises from him not taking himself seriously, so much as whistling past the graveyard, i.e. making jokes about something to deflect attention from the fact that it does actually bother him.

(What's really funny here is me defending my thoughts to other Plant fans. :lol: )

Fair enough. You know, I work with cancer patients from 9-5. Life is too short to be taken so seriously.

RP is having the time of his life, doing what he loves..AS IT SHOULD BE!

I have gotten hold of some tix at the last minute (coming soon) to see him perform. Life is good, friends. Enjoy it, and please don't major in minors.

GET IT?

I love Robert, and give him kudos for doing his own thing after Led Zeppelin, but to me, some of what he says is ironic. The country music community is worse than the Tin Pan Alley crowd. Seeing him on CMT leaves me dazed and confused. I really don't care if he, Jimmy and JPJ ever take the stage again together. I understand his point on that. I hope he has given up on rock and middle eastern flavored music.

Fair enough. You know, I work with cancer patients from 9-5. Life is too short to be taken so seriously.

RP is having the time of his life, doing what he loves..AS IT SHOULD BE!

I have gotten hold of some tix at the last minute (coming soon) to see him perform. Life is good, friends. Enjoy it, and please don't major in minors.

GET IT?

Forget it. You've misunderstood my point, and in the most ironic way.

Just for general discussion, and not necessarily in this thread: why are certain kinds of music only appropriate to certain age groups? I've never understood that. (I'm talking about genres here--obviously it's not appropriate lyrically for someone in his 50s to be singing about high-school problems and parental rebellion, for example, unless he's the parent being rebelled against!)

I've never been able to figure that out either !

I agree although I did say about old fart music in an earlier post but yes was Mozart to young to play and compose at 6 years of age, is Jimmy page to oldi n his 60's to rock out..No. Music is music, I know people in their forties that love the bubblegum glee type music, you would think that was just for teens but no there are plenty. Its all good if its ya thing.

I love Robert, and give him kudos for doing his own thing after Led Zeppelin, but to me, some of what he says is ironic. The country music community is worse than the Tin Pan Alley crowd. Seeing him on CMT leaves me dazed and confused.

Maybe the "commercial" country music community could somehow be related to Tin Pan Alley but so could the rock n' roll songwriting community. In the past, it's been no secret that even Heart and Aerosmith were turning to outside writers in order to score a "hit". I don't have cable so I don't see a lot of CMT but do they Plant's videos on there with any regularity? The only time I've ever seen him on there was for Crossroads with Alison Krauss.

I really don't care if he, Jimmy and JPJ ever take the stage again together. I understand his point on that. I hope he has given up on rock and middle eastern flavored music.

So, on the one hand you slam him for his current musical direction and on the other you say you "hope he has given up on rock and middle eastern flavored music", so, what exactly is it that you do hope for out of Mr. Plant?

Jerry Lee Lewis and Chuck Berry both still sing songs from their back catalogs about their teenage years but I understand what you're saying. Just because Plant is doing a lot of songs that have been categorized as "Americana" doesn't necessarily mean those tunes or that genre are "age appropriate". So, only Doc Watsons and artists of his ilk are the only ones that should be able to perform those type of songs? Anyone that believes that is full of shit.

You know I could buy Plants point of "not trying to be an old fart (I guess he means the stones and Jimmy page ect.) and play tunes from yesteryear"....if it wasnt what he's done on THREE of his last four albums!

"Angel Dance" originally appeared on the Los Lobos album The Neighborhood which came out in 1990. "Silver Rider" & "Monkey" are from the Low album The Great Destroyer which came out in 2005. Those are just three examples but there are more such as "Win My Train Home (If I Ever Get Lucky)", "Last Time I Saw Her", "Red Dress" and "Dirt In A Hole" from Dreamland which are all original songs. As I mentioned in my post above, so, only older folks should be the only ones singing some of the older songs that have appeared on some of plants recent albums? If that's the case, what's your take on Yonder Mountain String Band, Old Crow Medicine Show, Justin Townes Earle, etc., all younger artists who also draw from older songs and the Americana/String Band style of music?

i agree with you here, aqua.

i have been thinking the same thing for a while now.

i think he is really worried about his mortality. though that's normal, esp the older you get.

maybe he wants to try as many new things as he can squeeze into his remaining years? and his voice most likely has even fewer years left. i guess he sees zep as a " been there, done that" situation, and wants to do other things now.

can't blame him for that.

can we?

i guess some will!

I'm just happy that Robert is still performing and doing what he loves. BTW, did everyone see/read the entire Rolling Stone article on this and see that amazing photo of him? WOW. Very sexy. And also, whatever Robert decides to do down the line, I just hope he stays healthy enough to keep doing it so that we can continue to see him. I just read that Roger Daltry prior to the Superbowl Concert had to undergo removal of a pre-cancerous growth on his vocal chords. He should be fine and able to sing but there is a possibility that he could entirely lose his voice according to what I read. So, we all should put things into perspective and feel lucky that Robert is still able to do all that he does and does so well and keeps making us and himself happy.

I'm just happy that Robert is still performing and doing what he loves. BTW, did everyone see/read the entire Rolling Stone article on this and see that amazing photo of him? WOW. Very sexy. And also, whatever Robert decides to do down the line, I just hope he stays healthy enough to keep doing it so that we can continue to see him. I just read that Roger Daltry prior to the Superbowl Concert had to undergo removal of a pre-cancerous growth on his vocal chords. He should be fine and able to sing but there is a possibility that he could entirely lose his voice according to what I read. So, we all should put things into perspective and feel lucky that Robert is still able to do all that he does and does so well and keeps making us and himself happy.

Great post! :)

Archived