Robert Plant: Led Zeppelin 'a bit of a pain in the pisser'

Left what alone? Robert made no promises or hints that the show was anything beyond what it was. That people expected more is a different story. Robert gets a lot of grief because many so called fans can't seem to let go of the past and accept that he's moved on.

To be fair, Hugh's post wasn't about what people expected Robert to do after the O2. It's a direct quote from Jimmy on what he thought leading up to the concert, and he was there and we weren't.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair, Hugh's post wasn't about what people expected Robert to do after the O2. It's a direct quote from Jimmy on what he thought leading up to the concert, and he was there and we weren't.

Yes exactly, a thought and nothing else.

This is why he gets so much grief on so many of these sites, more now than ever.

Well then he truly can't win because before the o2 I remember hearing countless people say "I wish Zeppelin would just do one more show. If they do one just one more show I can die happy."

They did that one show, but most people didn't keep their end of the bargain.

Edited by Dandu

Yes exactly, a thought and nothing else.

You're missing my point, perhaps on purpose. It was a thought by Jimmy Page, who was one of three key players in this and probably had a good reason for thinking that way. Unless you really think Jimmy Page had no more insight into this than the average speculating fan on the internet.

You're missing my point, perhaps on purpose. It was a thought by Jimmy Page, who was one of three key players in this and probably had a good reason for thinking that way. Unless you really think Jimmy Page had no more insight into this than the average speculating fan on the internet.

Oh your forgetting that your dealing with people here who have FAR more insight into what goes on behind the scenes than Jimmy Page could ever possibly hope to possess. How could he even remotly have had this crazy impression more might come out of it eh? OH I got it, hes like us Led Zeppelin fans who "cant let go of the past", yeah! he was just doing wishful thinking like us dopes do! (sarcasm) Makes me wonder, sure does.

Edited by Hugh Hoyland

Oh your forgetting that your dealing with people here who have FAR more insight into what goes on behind the scenes than Jimmy Page could ever possibly hope to possess. How could he even remotly have had this crazy impression more might come out of it eh? OH I got it, hes like us Led Zeppelin fans who "cant let go of the past", yeah! he was just doing wishful thinking like us dopes do! (sarcasm) Makes me wonder, sure does.

Ignoring the rest of your post, history has shown that Jimmy Page DOES have trouble letting go of the past where Led Zeppelin is concerned. Page is my musical hero, but I wish he could have accepted the end of Led zeppelin a long time ago and brought us just some of that magic that he has through other musical channels.

Ignoring the rest of your post, history has shown that Jimmy Page DOES have trouble letting go of the past where Led Zeppelin is concerned. Page is my musical hero, but I wish he could have accepted the end of Led zeppelin a long time ago and brought us just some of that magic that he has through other musical channels.

What history do you speak of? Who said that? I know Plant has said that before about Jimmy, is that what you mean? Do you remember the Rolling Stone article (circa 1988) where Plant mentions his desire to one day make another go at Zeppelin (yep he actually said it, straight up)? Was he living in the past when he made that declaration? Or how about the several times Page said that if the three of them got back together for an album or tour they didnt necessarily have to call it Led Zeppelin? Or do you mean because he (Page) remasters a lot of the Led Zeppelin Cataloge hes living in the past?

What history do you speak of? Who said that? I know Plant has said that before about Jimmy, is that what you mean? Do you remember the Rolling Stone article (circa 1988) where Plant mentions his desire to one day make another go at Zeppelin (yep he actually said it, straight up)? Was he living in the past when he made that declaration? Or how about the several times Page said that if the three of them got back together for an album or tour they didnt necessarily have to call it Led Zeppelin? Or do you mean because he (Page) remasters a lot of the Led Zeppelin Cataloge hes living in the past?

There's only one type of history.

And I never said Page was "living in the past" - not once.

Edited by Knebby

It is true that people put Page down for wanting to work with Plant, and commend Plant for not wanting to work with Page.

I personally would love to see them collaborate musically along with JPJ's as well.

Why would anyone (other than Plant) not want that?

It is true that people put Page down for wanting to work with Plant,

I've never seen that anywhere on this forum. Where does that happen?

and commend Plant for not wanting to work with Page.

Or that.

these things can get circular in nature, I believe. Robert is a little bit prima donna. For a while Robert whole carreer was Zeppelin, Jimmy had musical success before Zeppelin and as such he considered Zeppelin the pinical of his carreer. It would only make sense for Robert to want to go out and make a name for himself after his first ten albums were all produced by one man. So I could see that as a potential a pain in the pisser. Robert is great at stirring the pot, on one hand he says zep is pain in the pisser on the other hand he sais the new zep live dvd is ready.......... so as a determined fan , with so much info availble......... If I was jimmy page I wouldn't want to let go of the past..............and roberts done a great job embracing the future so wahts the prob?

“At the time of the run-up and rehearsals towards the [O2] show, I think we assumed that there were going to be more dates. It would have been nice to have played more concerts. But, even while I was going ’round doing Christmas shopping, people were still coming up and saying, ‘Is there a chance of a reunion?’ I don’t have any real answer, apart from that it doesn’t look like it" - Jimmy Page interview with the Sunday Times

This is the problem, once you do something like that (O2), its very difficult to then infer it's not a big deal and leave it at that. Robert Plant is no dummy, he knows what kind of reaction O2 was going to generate. If he didnt want it to be a pain in the pisser, he should have left it alone. This is why he gets so much grief on so many of these sites, more now than ever.

And, yet again, all Jimmy could come up with was "I THINK we ASSUMED". That's nothing to base plans for a tour on. Plant's not responsible for Jimmy's assumptions. If they'd actively discussed it, it would be a different matter.

And, yet again, all Jimmy could come up with was "I THINK we ASSUMED". That's nothing to base plans for a tour on. Plant's not responsible for Jimmy's assumptions. If they'd actively discussed it, it would be a different matter.

Yes he is. Plant is responsible for everything, and is to blame for everything. Didn't you get the memo? It's sitting here on my desk.

Robert Plant should repay Jimmy with the reunion, Jimmy made Robert.

Without Jimmy, Robert wouldn't be going off singing all this Americana rubbish.

And Robert made Jimmy and Jonesy made Bonzo and so on and so on in all the possible combinations!!

No one has the right to demand a reunion from Robert!! Is that so hard to grasp!!?? And it doesn't matter if Plant knew a reunion show will start to generate rumors and wishes for a reunion tour!!

He told everybody very clearly it's onyl going to be one show!

Edited by Matjaz1

Robert Plant should repay Jimmy

I could understand this if Robert owed Jimmy a pint or two ! If he does, then no doubt, a reunion will happen sometime at a pub near you.

“At the time of the run-up and rehearsals towards the [O2] show, I think we assumed that there were going to be more dates."

In the context of the above statement then yes, it sounds more like wishful thinking on Jimmy's part (no-one else's) and he was presuming the others were wanting the same, nothing more, IMO.

Yes, it was only a thought or notion and as you pointed out he was one of three so unless they all had the same inclination it would seem that the only person who held out any hope was Jimmy and if I were him in that position I probably would have too.

As for living in the past, I think we all are guilty of this, after all we listen to and watch Led Zeppelin music and videos, don't we?

On the 27th of this month I'll be reliving the Sydney concert when I crank up the DVD-A I have of that very same show.

BTW, I'm way above average! :)

Unbelievable, the few of you here constantly bashing and blaming Robert. Your like fleas jumping from thread to thread with this nonsense, when you are so missing the big picture. We lost Bonzo, aren't you glad we still have the other three with us? To see them out and doing things is wonderful to me. I am just as moved at hearing them today as my first song at 9 , just as proud as when buying my first album at 11 and I still love seeing them on stage live as it did my first concert at 12.

How in the hell do you think those of us that saw them live in their glory days feel? Some of these rude post remind me of how the media and some fans seemed suprised when LZ III was released. Imagine if we did not have that beautiful piece of musical songs today? Or listen to Robert and the SS from Austin 2002 singing Song of The Siren, or listen to Jimmy with the Firm doing Satisfaction Guaranteed, or JPJ playing and singing on Thunderthief..these are just to mention a few off the top of my head where these men went on to create some of the best music.

What is it that you do not seem to understand that you CANNOT replace John Henry Bonham!!!You CANNOT replace any of them. I hope you can step back and realize how fortunate we are to have their music in our lives....and our boys are still out there. I for one respect the legacy of this music, and as we all know, it took the four of them to create it!!

Here I am 4 decades later and I still get to see them on stage. I can't wait to see what they are going to do next. But like I stated on another thread, as long as they are on a stage and I can be there to behold my musical heroes, I'll be front and center having one of the best nights of my life. You should try it, amazing feeling :peace:

Edited by Deborah J