Cheap Trick

Jahfin

8491.jpg

To watch the full episode of their recent appearance on Austin City Limits click on the image above. Be sure to stick around until the very end for Robin Zander and Rick Nielsen's explanation of "Classic Rock" and why they've never fit some people's idea of what that is. This band is still just as vital (if not more so) than when they first arrived on the scene back in the 70s. Bun E. is MIA on drums but Rick Nielsen's son Dax does an admirable job filling in for him. Apparently Bun E. was sick and was unable to attend the taping. Others have speculated that he's been MIA from Cheap Trick lately because he was dictating the setlists, which remained the same from one night to the next. This performance is definitely not one that's loyal to a "greatest hits" setlist which gives more than a little validity to that latter claim.

A sample from the show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbeJ1KmUtf4

I love Cheap Trick. Only got to see them live once, and it was with John Brandt on bass, but they still kicked some serious ass. A funny thing is that during the show, some dufus from the audience jumped on stage and tried to rip Rick Nielsen's cap off of his head. The security guys reached him first, but Rick (in his wry humor) said "hey cousin, how ya' doin'. Hey everyone, meet my family from Detroit!" It was great.

I love Cheap Trick. Only got to see them live once, and it was with John Brandt on bass, but they still kicked some serious ass. A funny thing is that during the show, some dufus from the audience jumped on stage and tried to rip Rick Nielsen's cap off of his head. The security guys reached him first, but Rick (in his wry humor) said "hey cousin, how ya' doin'. Hey everyone, meet my family from Detroit!" It was great.

I've seen 'em two or three times over the years. The first time they were the opening act on a three way bill with Nantucket and AC/DC (who were headlining). I always wondered why they were the opening band at that show. Years later I found out that Nantucket (who quickly went down the tubes) were a priority at Epic Records at the time (same label Cheap Trick were on). Plus, Nantucket were currently riding high on the initial success of their debut album and first single, "Heartbreaker". I'll never forget that night as they had a built a ramp on one side of the stage just for Rick Nielsen. He was always tossing picks but once he got up to the top of the ramp he'd shower the audience with them. Funny that even all these years later Cheap Trick are still opening for other bands, especially when one of those other bands is Poison. They've never gotten the respect they deserve which sorta makes them the Rodney Dangerfield of rock. That ACL performance proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that they can still bring the rock, even more so than bands half their age.

I never really cared for them until I went to my first [of 4] show, and I "got it"

...I play drums so when Bun E. Carlos started his ambidextrous snare switching without missing a split second...I was sold. Rick may write the most simple pieces in rock and roll but he makes up for the depth with his brilliant showmanship and endurance. Those 5 neck units can cause back spasms hehehe

I love the Clock Strikes Ten...

jamslashnielson.jpg

I have the song list and snare drum head Bun E used one night. He popped o hole in the snare DO YOU KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO POP A HOLE IN A SNARE?

Pretty hard hehe He beats the f*****g shit outta them like Bonzo did.

The stage shakes...

sc27.jpg

I have the song list and snare drum head Bun E used one night. He popped o hole in the snare DO YOU KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO POP A HOLE IN A SNARE?

Pretty hard hehe He beats the f*****g shit outta them like Bonzo did.

I remember some interview that surfaced several years ago where Bun E. apparently had some less than favorable things to say about Bonham which got everyone's ire up here. I tried to find it but to no avail.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

Since I reside in Illinois I have seen them many times, sometimes by accident, they were on the bill. They have never disappointed, even a few years ago. However, their best show that I saw, was in the early 90's,  where they were the headliner.

• 3 months later...