Huckleberry Finn

Jahfin

They could also remove or soften every reference in the Twain book to murdering and killing and kidnapping, to make the reading more acceptable for children.

Being exposed to violent thoughts is certainly just as bad as being exposed to racial slurs, isn't it!

Next, they will remove all curse words from "Who's Afraid Of Virginia Wolf".

So that it can be included in the Jr. High reading list.

Classics should reamain as the authors indended them to be. It speaks of how things were at the time, as unpleasant some may find them to be. It's just the history and progression of mankind. And history is full of alot of unpleasantness, but to hopefully learn and move on from those times is how generations better themselves. People are so over sensetive anymore. Makes me wonder if we are learning and bettering ourselves as new generations come up to run society.

Classics should reamain as the authors indended them to be. It speaks of how things were at the time, as unpleasant some may find them to be. It's just the history and progression of mankind. And history is full of alot of unpleasantness, but to hopefully learn and move on from those times is how generations better themselves. People are so over sensetive anymore. Makes me wonder if we are learning and bettering ourselves as new generations come up to run society.

I'm with the young lady from location unknown.B)

I love the people acting like the censoring or "cleaning up" of artistic works hasn't been happening for decades, and this is suddenly now so offensive. You can still buy the original version of Huck Finn, complete with racial slurs, it's not like it's going to suddenly fall off the face of the earth. It sucks, it's stupid, but this isn't the first time nor the last time, that it's going to happen. This process is no different than Walmart selling "clean" version of rap/hip-hop and R&B albums. You can either buy the sanitized version or you can go buy the profanity-laced version -- your choice.

Clearly some helicopter parents out there think their precious widdle snowflakes shouldn't be introduced to how people talked before they were born, so now new editions of the book will have the n-word removed. Go buy previous editions that aren't edited and give them to your kids, or read it yourself. Real simple.

Clearly some helicopter parents out there think their precious widdle snowflakes shouldn't be introduced to how people talked before they were born

:hysterical: Widdle snowflakes , that has made my day.

I have never read all of Huck Finn. I'm really not a novel reader. I like to watch movies made from novels though... :)

But, as to the changing of the word "N" to the word "slave" in the Samuel Clemens book, what was said on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart made me think that it's not a good thing to change that word in that book.

The point was made on the show that the black man in the book was a slave who had run away, hence a man that is no longer a slave in his own eyes.

But, by using the "N" word, Twain makes the point, that you can run away from being a slave, but, in that world and time, you could not outrun the stigma of being a "N", according to way society thought of you.

So changing how the black man is referred to a "slave", takes away from the impact of him being referred to as "N".

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

But that said.... especially as we move forward into the book-reading i-pad age.... It should be simple enough to be able to electronically substitute the "N" word for any word of your choice, as well as: shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker, tits, and G-D and JC used as swear words, etc, etc.

In other words, electronically, you can be your own Big Brother !!

Bty, you can read Huck Finn online here:

http://etext.virginia.edu/toc/modeng/public/Twa2Huc.html

Writing ..like novels and poetry is an art form. Like visual arts with sculptures and paintings etc. So, now we should cover nude stone statues? Make the abstract unabstract? And let's not forget Mark Twain's Freedom of Speech. Oopsie. Go ahead and buffer historical facts for kids. Start changing novels in a society where video games are violent enough that kids need parents permission to buy them. And then write songs and use language where that word is thrown around as much as the word "like". Like ya know what I mean?

well nigger at the time huck finn was written didn't have any PC stigma attatched to it

even today it can be interpreted many ways...including as a derogatory term for a black man............or even to mean "friend"

so i say just let it be.......this type of censorship is unnecessary and pointless(not to mention self serving)

or should i just say...............

Peace out...........my niggas :)

well nigger at the time huck finn was written didn't have any PC stigma attatched to it

even today it can be interpreted many ways...including as a derogatory term for a black man............or even to mean "friend"

so i say just let it be.......this type of censorship is unnecessary and pointless(not to mention self serving)

or should i just say...............

Peace out...........my niggas :)

I have to disagree with part of what you said. The word is a pejorative.

"Definition of PEJORATIVE

: a word or phrase that has negative connotations or that is intended to disparage or belittle : a pejorative word or phrase"

However, at the time Huckleberry Finn was written the connotation of racism had been removed from the word. That didn't last long and the word was restored to being a pejorative. And it has remained as such. It at no time since it's creation.. due to the mispronunciation of the Latin word for "black".. has it's definition ever been "friend". The fact that the word is a pejorative does not change when specific races of people use it. It is still a pejorative.

It at no time since it's creation.. due to the mispronunciation of the Latin word for "black".. has it's definition ever been "friend".

oh, but as an african american i beg to differ:

Nigger

nigga, niggah etc. al.(noun)1.describes an ignorant, uneducated, foolish individual regardless of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, etc.

2. endearing term between two or more individual to describe a friendship or bond.

Nigger

Slang description for slaves who were brought mostly from West Africa by the Dutch, English, and Portuguese from what was then a huge "Nigerian Basin" which makes up part of the countries of Nigeria and Niger today.

the term is used consistantly by whites and blacks today in many ways, pejorative......derogatory....racist...........loving.........misinterpret it any way you like

the meaning is dynamic.......or dare i say.........diverse

oh, but as an african american i beg to differ:

Nigger

nigga, niggah etc. al.(noun)1.describes an ignorant, uneducated, foolish individual regardless of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, etc.

2. endearing term between two or more individual to describe a friendship or bond.

Nigger

Slang description for slaves who were brought mostly from West Africa by the Dutch, English, and Portuguese from what was then a huge "Nigerian Basin" which makes up part of the countries of Nigeria and Niger today.

the term is used consistantly by whites and blacks today in many ways, pejorative......derogatory....racist...........loving.........misinterpret it any way you like

the meaning is dynamic.......or dare i say.........diverse

And also, as an African American.. I said I disagreed with part of your post and gave my standpoint.

“Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it.” Platinum star!

What a bunch of sissies we have become. I am almost embarrassed to be an earthling, nevermind an American. Someone earlier made reference to the hip/hop and rap 'music', and yes, I meant to use quotations. (Yeah, you know, those literary scholars like Lil Brayne, is it? Oh sorry.) You took the words right out of my mouth, er, post. Fine point!

Beat it.

I'd like to think that we as a society have evolved past using racial slurs in everyday conversation. It's one thing when it's in literature, such as Huckleberry Finn, since it's used to illustrate how people talked in the time the book was set and written. It's 2011 now, though. It shouldn't be acceptable to use that word today, regardless of what medium you're using it in; book, magazine, movie, song, whatever.

Archived