Massive Floods Hit Australia

Reggie29

I posted this in another thread but thought it was important enough to warrant its own.

The current floods in Qld, NSW and WA.

After nearly a decade of drought the country has been deluged by torrential rain causing inland Tsunamis resulting in mass crop, homes and infrastructure destruction along with as yet unknown deaths.

One community has up to 100 disabled people still unaccounted for.

With all the money spent on building desalination plants it amazes that nothing is done about harnessing and harvesting all this water as it happens every year during the monsoon season and like this every 50 years or so.

The irony is that the plants themselves are under threat of being washed away.

Another sad thing is that parts of the Darling River was dammed up years ago by some and reduced a river almost as big as the Amazon to a trickle.

When the Tsunami hit Asia in 2005 our government donated $26 million but so far have only given $1m to Australian victims, this has since been increased dramatically over the last 72 hours.

The general population and businesses have donated 10 times that amount and growing, just like in 2005.

The worst is yet to come when the water subsides and the clean up begins where the risk of disease is a very real threat.

http://ninemsn.com.au/?rf=true

Our thoughts are with every down there going though a really bad time, we have villages/towns flooded nearly every year here and peoples lives are wrecked, but to loose people too, thats tough.

It looks horrendous Reggie - small comfort I know, but this really is making HUGE news over here and everyone is very upset by it and worried for you as a country. You're all in our thoughts mate, good luck.

It looks horrendous Reggie - small comfort I know, but this really is making HUGE news over here and everyone is very upset by it and worried for you as a country. You're all in our thoughts mate, good luck.

Thanks Knebby and Leddy.

Fortunately I am not affected and although I have family up there they are safe and well.

The next 12 hours are going to be nervewracking for those poor buggers in Brisbane where the flood is expected to rise by another 20 feet and the water is also moving down through Northern NSW but we are a resilient lot and the support coming locally and from abroad is very comforting and is very much appreciated.

Northern WA is flooded too and Perth is experiencing bushfires.

This time last year Victoria was burning, what next!?

As Knebby has already said, the floods are headline news here in the UK. I just saw a video of Brisbane on the news. Something was bobbing under the water, it turned out it was a horse. I do hope the RSPCA is doing everything it can to save as many animals of possible. The impact of the floods on human life is of course devastating, but animals often get forgotten about in these situations.

• 3 months later...

Archived