What's the hardest instrument to master?

missytootsweet

Instead of talking about learning to play have you tried to play an instrument that you like? :unsure:

Oh, goodness no. I've got the time and could probably swing for an instrument, but I don't have the natural gift for it. I tried in the 6th grade to learn the clarinet and that was too hard. Besides I'm getting kinda old to be starting out don't you think?

It's just a fun fantasy really. If I was to pick up an instument what would be the easiest/hardest etc. I am truly fascinated though when I see all the different sounds/moods a guitarist can create. Don't get me going or I'll be forced to put up another Joni Mitchell clip, lol. :) missy

leddy,

Short answer: Because I'm an idiot.

Long answer: Misunderstanding on my part. I thought you were doubting Joni's fluency as a musician. And this is what happens when we read things too fast..... :slapface:

NO she is great and very musical, even if she isn't on my playlist :)

What is the definition of mastering an instrument. If anyone has mastered one, I guess examples would be Page on guitar, Emerson on keyboards, John Bonham on drums, etc. But defining which is the most difficult to play is probably a matter of opinion. Wind instruments are very difficult to play from a physical sense. A Tuba for Gods sake, you have to have lots of wind. I would always consider a bass easier to play than a guitar from a standpoint of musical knowledge. It is a simpler instrument in my opinion. Im only using it as an example of comparing instruments, but now Im sure some bass players will be ready to jump all over me. Playing the piano and the violin, especially classical, demands much musical knowledge and skill. Tough question to answer.

What is the definition of mastering an instrument. If anyone has mastered one, I guess examples would be Page on guitar, Emerson on keyboards, John Bonham on drums, etc. But defining which is the most difficult to play is probably a matter of opinion. Wind instruments are very difficult to play from a physical sense. A Tuba for Gods sake, you have to have lots of wind. I would always consider a bass easier to play than a guitar from a standpoint of musical knowledge. It is a simpler instrument in my opinion. Im only using it as an example of comparing instruments, but now Im sure some bass players will be ready to jump all over me. Playing the piano and the violin, especially classical, demands much musical knowledge and skill. Tough question to answer.

Hi sivermedalist!

I agree with most of what you said. I laughed at the comment about wind instrument difficulty because I failed miserably at the clarinet @ 11 years old. :D

Yes, it's all opinion, but who else can you ask for good judgement on this question if not musicians? :rolleyes: I agree with you totally on the Page and Bonham selections. Now, I have to ask you if you might not want to reconsider Rick Wakeman over Keith Emerson? Just joking. I know Keith is good, as I have Brain Saald Surgery, but the YES fan in me wins out for the final call. ;)

I would always consider a bass easier to play than a guitar from a standpoint of musical knowledge. It is a simpler instrument in my opinion.

Me too! But... I got rightfully schooled on that misconception earlier on the thread. See a new example I found to put that idea further to rest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ln9T76ieaA

This is such good stuff....so melodic..from a bass!?!

Thanks for taking the time to reply.........:) missy

Oh, goodness no. I've got the time and could probably swing for an instrument, but I don't have the natural gift for it. I tried in the 6th grade to learn the clarinet and that was too hard. Besides I'm getting kinda old to be starting out don't you think?

No. We're all getting kinda old to have regrets though :) If it's what you want to do (or even try), go for it. In Ireland, it's thought you're never too old to pick up an instrument or write a masterpiece.

Easiest instrument: triangle

Hardest instrument: bagpipes

No. We're all getting kinda old to have regrets though :) If it's what you want to do (or even try), go for it. In Ireland, it's thought you're never too old to pick up an instrument or write a masterpiece.

Easiest instrument: triangle

Hardest instrument: bagpipes

its harp every one with knowlege on music knows it. end of story good bye noobs

its harp every one with knowlege on music knows it. end of story good bye noobs

Wow, the czar of music, nice to meet ya. :)

Perhaps you could explain to us newbies (not what you mistakenly call n00bs), like myself why you feel harp its the hardest instrument to

master? Thanks......missy

Wow, the czar of music, nice to meet ya. :)

Perhaps you could explain to us newbies (not what you mistakenly call n00bs), like myself why you feel harp its the hardest instrument to

master? Thanks......missy

I Read an article with multi instrumentalist, and they all agreed it was the harp.

Archived