Carouselambra

ThelegendaryZepp

What is with this song? It has to be the oddest song in their entire catalog.

So im wondering why this song was made. What influenced it to be made. Plus maybe some insight into the lyrics. I happen to not understand barely a word from plants mouth in this song so bare with me if you will.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carouselambra

Where was your word, where did you go?

Where was your helping, where was your bow?

I have my own interpretation of what the lyrical content means, but all I will say for now is that I think Carouselambra is one of the most eloquent and moving rock songs ever written. I've mentioned before (use the search feature) when it was performed during the Page/Plant era Robert changed the orignal lyrics above and that I think

doing so suggested that a reconciliation had been made.

I can think of some others that are more odd than this, this carries on the tradition of the epics like TSRTS, Kashmir, ALS and although this doesn't reach the heights of the three I mention it was showing us the way forward, what could have been, in transistion like alot of the bands of the 70's that went on to carry on being successful in the 1980's like Queen and Yes who embraced technology and as such got through the decade almost unscathed...What could have been and although and I know I said this 4 years in this very topic 3 years ago its only the cheesey keyboard sound that dates this track, the keys playing is great just the choice of cheese so to speak. Its a moody piece taking you on a journey, thats the beauty of all these songs I mention.

I can think of some others that are more odd than this, this carries on the tradition of the epics like TSRTS, Kashmir, ALS and although this doesn't reach the heights of the three I mention it was showing us the way forward, what could have been, in transistion like alot of the bands of the 70's that went on to carry on being succesful in the 1980's like Queen and Yes who embraced technology and as such got through the decade almost unscathed...What could have been and although and I know I said this 4 years in this very topic 3 years ago its only the cheesey keyboard sound that dates this track, the keys playing is great just the choice of cheese so to speak. Its a moody piece taking you on a journey, thats the beauty of all these songs I mention.

Agreed. I still however think it to be odd in a very lame way. Compared to another odd song like no quarter which is also a moody piece, this song stinks. Yes it reflects the times which is exactly the problem. Now take another song on in through the outdoor, In the Evening, that is the true epic from ITTOD and from 79 in general.

Agreed. I still however think it to be odd in a very lame way. Compared to another odd song like no quarter which is also a moody piece, this song stinks. Yes it reflects the times which is exactly the problem. Now take another song on in through the outdoor, In the Evening, that is the true epic from ITTOD and from 79 in general.

In your opinion that is, to me it doesn't stink though, you could say ITE is the only classic on there, but Carouselambra would be next, I admit "Hot Dog and "South ound Saurez" are hardly vital Zep although I do like SBZ alot.

I think that if the sound of the keyboard was updated to a modern sound, I think you would change your mind, this song does grow on you, its deff a grower. THe problem with Synth sounds of that time is, is that they have not aged well, yet Songs and music from bandsbefore the late 70's still feel as vital today, even the hammond organ of Deep Purple sound as good today, with that sound being used today on a few tracks etc.

In your opinion that is, to me it doesn't stink though, you could say ITE is the only classic on there, but Carouselambra would be next, I admit "Hot Dog and "South ound Saurez" are hardly vital Zep although I do like SBZ alot.

I think that if the sound of the keyboard was updated to a modern sound, I think you would change your mind, this song does grow on you, its deff a grower. THe problem with Synth sounds of that time is, is that they have not aged well, yet Songs and music from bands before the late 70's still feel as vital today, even the hammond organ of Deep Purple sound as good today, with that sound being used today on a few tracks etc.

Wait so are you agreeing with me....Because that is exactly why i can't listen to it. The synth just stinks up the whole song. Yes i get that the song is happy like going to a fair and riding a merry go round. Its quite enjoyable for a child maybe in that respect. I see it as a failed experiment and i think the band did as well, or at least jimmy page as he is barely audible during the whole song.

Well no I am not agreeing with you :slapface: , I am saying I think the synth sound is cheesy but I do still like it, its not a failed experiment in my mind, its a good piece of work.

Opinions are like appetites I guess.

Carouselambra ranks high on my carousel of Zeppelin tunes. Three musical moods/directions woven into one song. Lyrically potent to Achilles, Stairway, and Kashmir. Diverse keyboard exploration unequalled to previous Zepp recordings. Odd might be the diminished role of guitar, but powerful when exposed.

A well executed piece.

Opinions are like appetites I guess.

Carouselambra ranks high on my carousel of Zeppelin tunes. Three musical moods/directions woven into one song. Lyrically potent to Achilles, Stairway, and Kashmir. Diverse keyboard exploration unequalled to previous Zepp recordings. Odd might be the diminished role of guitar, but powerful when exposed.

A well executed piece.

:goodpost:

I agree Jabe Id also like to say it doesn't matter what zeppelin song you listen to its all good to me. Keep on rockn Leddy :peace:

Will do, it doesn't matter that the guitar isn't always at the forfront of a song or piece of music you know, ts sometimes good to use the guitar as texture,enhancing it. If we just had wall to wall guitar solos and stuff it would get a tad boring. Look at for instance Van Halen's Jump (funnily enough the keys just about sound ok for this) EVH doesnt even play guitar on the track untill the pre chorus bit, but it adds tension, like Page on this track, it adds dynamics.

Technology can be a bummer, My fave track is ALS but there is some sort of effect used on Page's guitar on the section where he plays that ascending run in fourths (I still wish he would re record it without the effect) but still think its a great piece.

:)

And so the end of the story goes....if they had continued in this musical direction, which was pleasing to robert and john paul jones,the fans and critics would explode "where is the rock 'n roll? " and so it is easier to offer nothing....which we now have.

I am actually going to change my opinion on the keyboards, I confess I haven't listened to this for a good while, I have again and for the first time and the keys actually sound cool, its gone so full circle, or maybe its just me, its actually a classic. I will be revisiting it alot more now. Page plays some very tastful and also agressive at times. I do rememeber in the 90's t "Kashmir" and this track being great driving songs while driving through the desert. Its coming back in on the playlist.

So im wondering why this song was made. What influenced it to be made. Plus maybe some insight into the lyrics. I happen to not understand barely a word from plants mouth in this song so bare with me if you will.

Hi. I heard this song a few months ago for the first time and also thought it was very unusual. The beginning and end with all the organ work is a little too peppy for my taste, but I do like the middle guitar section.

It seems to my ears like Robert's vocals are too far in the background. If he were more up front in the mix then perhaps the lyrics would be easier to discern. Jimmy Page and the band must have arranged it that way for a reason. As to lyrical interpretation, it all seems quite personal and directed. IMHO......missy

The song stinks? Not for me, no no. I love it, it's maybe my second favorite track from ITTOD (second to I'm Gonna Crawl). In fact, my least favorite from that album must be ITE, but I still don't skip it.

The synth in this song is dated? I can swear that I heard the final part of Carouselambra into "Galvanize" by Chemical Brothers. And few Peter Gabriel songs :P

I don't really get the hate for In Through the Out Door in general or this song specifically. Can't say I hear even the slightest hint of "disco" in it either. Maybe not one of my fave Zep tracks overall but it's definitely one of my favorites from In Through the Out Door.

Sisters of the way-side bide their time in quiet peace,

Await their place within the ring of calm;

Still stand to turn in seconds of release,

Await the call they know may never come.

In times of lightness, no intruder dared upon

To jeopardize the course upset the run;

And all was joy and hands were raised towards the sun

As love in the halls of plenty overrun.

Still in their bliss unchallenged mighty feast,

Unending dances shadowed on the day.

Within their walls,their daunting formless keep,

Preserved their joy and kept their doubts at bay.

Faceless legions stood in readiness to weep,

Just turn a coin, bring order to the fray;

And everything is soon no sooner thought than deed,

But no seemed to question in anyway.

How keen the storied hunter's eye prevails upon land

To seek the unsuspecting and the weak;

And powerless the fabled sat, to smug to lift a hand

Toward the foe that threatened from the deep.

Who cares to dry the cheeks of those who saddened stand

Adrift upon a sea of futile speech?

And to fall fate and make the 'status plan'

Where was your word, where did you go?

Where was your helping, where was your bow? Bow.

Dull is the armour, cold is the day.

Hard is the journey, dark was the way. Way.

I heard the word; I couldn't stay. Oh.

I couldn't stand it another day, another day,

Another day,

another day.

Roused from the keeper's sleep,

Release the grip, throw down the key.

Held now within knowing,

Rest now now within peace.

Take of the fruit, but guard the seed.

They had to stay!

Held now within knowing,

Rest now within the beat.

Take of the fruit, but guard the seed........

(that's what I've got) Oh and by the way.....definately one of my favorite songs!!! These are some strong lyrics imho.

Archived