An EXTREMELY rare Band Of Joy Tape 68'

I have this on the begining of a cass tape somewhere up in my attic from a Radio 1 Broadcast. It was aired on the same day as one of an Eric Clapton Blues night at the RAH Live Broadcast early 1990 or 91. The presenter introduces it as "Adriatic Sea View"

The song is titled 'Adriatic Sea View' and it's one of a few eight-track Band of Joy demos recorded at Regent Sound Studios in London circa March 1968. This song remained unreleased until October 1989, when Robert authorized it's appearance on a fund-raising cassette, 'In The Forest' (Forest Music, CO1), produced by the Kidderminster College of Further Education. It's inclusion on that fund-raising release, among other concerns, may account for why it isn't on '66 to Timbuktu.

:o:o

Its amazing to think after hearing that, that in a few short months after that Plant was to become music royalty, you can hear why page wanted him after hearing this guy, his vocals on LZ 1968/9 to me will always be his best vocals, raw, untrained and powerful, the downside being that I guess it ruined his voice so that by 73 his voice was not the same. (INHO)

Its amazing to think after hearing that, that in a few short months after that Plant was to become music royalty, you can hear why page wanted him after hearing this guy, his vocals on LZ 1968/9 to me will always be his best vocals, raw, untrained and powerful, the downside being that I guess it ruined his voice so that by 73 his voice was not the same. (INHO)

Very much so it was such a fresh and hungry voice if you know what I mean, he screamed so much it just.. came down. Although it did come back slightly through out some of the next few albums after HOH such as Physical Graffiti in Houses of The Holy it does sound like a younger Plant

Very much so it was such a fresh and hungry voice if you know what I mean, he screamed so much it just.. came down. Although it did come back slightly through out some of the next few albums after HOH such as Physical Graffiti in Houses of The Holy it does sound like a younger Plant

Oh yes I mean ALS is absolutely top draw vocals from Plant and again in some of his solo work especially the early stuff was also very good. But when you come onto LZ and LZ II its hard to top it vocal wise although and I do ramble, but as I type I start thinking that also "When The Levee Breaks" is also great too, well there loads, but the first few years are just great.

A good friend of mine said that his old friend saw them live at both 69 and 70 "Bath festivals" and he said that his mate said :) that htey just blew everyone off the stage and that Plants vocals were a force of nature, he said it was that good, the problem with recordings however good or bad it can never give you how it is to be there standing 8 rows from the front etc, feeling the force and back in the very early years it must have been an experience.

What must of it been like to have seen Hendrix for the first time and then a few years later Plant and Zeppelin for the first time, Life and music could never be the same.

Oh yes I mean ALS is absolutely top draw vocals from Plant and again in some of his solo work especially the early stuff was also very good. But when you come onto LZ and LZ II its hard to top it vocal wise although and I do ramble, but as I type I start thinking that also "When The Levee Breaks" is also great too, well there loads, but the first few years are just great.

A good friend of mine said that his old friend saw them live at both 69 and 70 "Bath festivals" and he said that his mate said :) that htey just blew everyone off the stage and that Plants vocals were a force of nature, he said it was that good, the problem with recordings however good or bad it can never give you how it is to be there standing 8 rows from the front etc, feeling the force and back in the very early years it must have been an experience.

What must of it been like to have seen Hendrix for the first time and then a few years later Plant and Zeppelin for the first time, Life and music could never be the same.

God it just makes you want to be there so badly.

• 6 years later...

Just to confirm the authenticity of the charity fund raising cassette tape that included Adriatic sea View.  The cassette was made by students at Kidderminster College on what was England's first National Diploma in Rock and Jazz.  Robert was our 'musician in residence', gained through the good offices of Kevyn Gammond, who was (and still is) on the staff of the course. 

1 hour ago, David Gaukroger said:

Just to confirm the authenticity of the charity fund raising cassette tape that included Adriatic sea View.  The cassette was made by students at Kidderminster College on what was England's first National Diploma in Rock and Jazz.  Robert was our 'musician in residence', gained through the good offices of Kevyn Gammond, who was (and still is) on the staff of the course. 

Yep, and cassette was also mentioned in an article titled "Tapes to Help Charities" published in the Express & Star in December 1991.

• 1 year later...

Here's a story...I have the In the Forest cassette. I got it when it came out (1989) because a guitarist friend - Straff Dance is on it. Anyway, last year I was back in the UK and I found out by chance that Straff had sadly passed away. This inspired me to play the cassette for the first time and I was blown away by the first track Adriatic Sea View. I'd never heard of Band of Joy before.

IMG_5317.JPG

IMG_5318.JPG

Archived