Berlin: July 8th '80

renounce

Found out recently that there was a further date after the final 7.7.80 concert that got cancelled due to poor ticket sales. Am puzzled by this as this was only one year after Knebworth where demand was so high that a second date was added. Having listened to the 7.7.80 show imho it's no great loss to the world that the gig on the 8th was cancelled (Page noodling around in very elongated jams that went nowhere, awful synth on the Rain Song - the mellotron was so much more atmospheric, a tired sounding Bonzo, and RP sounding like he couldn't wait to go home) but i'd still be interested to know why ticket sales were so low. This must have been the only show they ever cancelled for this reason. Was it lack of promotion or populariity or what? If anyone knows i would be grateful to be enlightened.

Found out recently that there was a further date after the final 7.7.80 concert that got cancelled due to poor ticket sales. Am puzzled by this as this was only one year after Knebworth where demand was so high that a second date was added. Having listened to the 7.7.80 show imho it's no great loss to the world that the gig on the 8th was cancelled (Page noodling around in very elongated jams that went nowhere, awful synth on the Rain Song - the mellotron was so much more atmospheric, a tired sounding Bonzo, and RP sounding like he couldn't wait to go home) but i'd still be interested to know why ticket sales were so low. This must have been the only show they ever cancelled for this reason. Was it lack of promotion or populariity or what? If anyone knows i would be grateful to be enlightened.

Yes it was cancelled but not due poor ticket sales.

Bonham collapsed at the beginning of a show a week earlier so they may have cut the tour short for exhaustion.

Although this second date in Berlin appears in the final tour itinerary and on official merchandise it was scrapped well in advance. I've never seen anything to suggest it was ever promoted or that tickets were produced, let alone ever went on sale.

Although this second date in Berlin appears in the final tour itinerary and on official merchandise it was scrapped well in advance. I've never seen anything to suggest it was ever promoted or that tickets were produced, let alone ever went on sale.

Aha. My mistake then. Thanks for clearing this one up.

My understanding for the 80 Europe tour especially the shows in Germany that the audiences were primarily composed of American G.I.'s and the shows were booked based on this premise. Seems they over estimated the demand in Berlin but were spot on for Mannheim. To give you some examples.......

Frankfurt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhein-Main_Air_Base

Mannheim

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coleman_Army_Airfield

along with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Franklin_Village

Berlin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army_Berlin

You have a large population of English speaking zeppelin fans in close proximity of these locations so it would make sense to book multiple dates for these shows.

Seeing several shows of 1980 I can only tell that press was always against them . Especially in Germany.

Van Halen and Motörhead were popular heavies in these days there.

When I saw the movie SRTS before I thought the Us and Zep world is a complete new one.Germany is populated by suburbians.

But the real shit of a sound and the loose of control did not help them to make the tour 1980 a triumph

against the brainwashing of media---just a warming up for them.

My understanding for the 80 Europe tour especially the shows in Germany that the audiences were primarily composed of American G.I.'s and the shows were booked based on this premise. Seems they over estimated the demand in Berlin but were spot on for Mannheim. You have a large population of English speaking zeppelin fans in close proximity of these locations so it would make sense to book multiple dates for these shows.

There were large contingents of American military personnel attending the Mannheim, Frankfurt and Berlin gigs (but this was not the case anywhere else). It's interesting to note there was only one Berlin date (5/30), one Mannheim date (5/31) and NO Frankfurt date among the original nine concerts that were rescheduled after a promotional poster had been released and tickets had gone on sale.

During the opening set Robert commented from the stage that Jimmy loved Berlin very much but sadly the next morning Jimmy expressed displeasure with his own playing at what would be their last concert.

I recall in 1970 (?) Jimmy refused to take a walk over to the Berlin Wall, saying at the time that the vibes in Berlin were enough to make him sick.

Any more details of this "displeasure"? Never heard this anecdote before.

During the opening set Robert commented from the stage that Jimmy loved Berlin very much but sadly the next morning Jimmy expressed displeasure with his own playing at what would be their last concert.

Archived