Robert De Niro

lzzoso

If I had to select the Greatest Actor of All Time it may well be Robert De Niro. His versatility is stunning; from dramas to comedies he's played every role convincingly.

I don't think I could select his greatest performance because there have been so many, but my favorite is the role of Jimmy Conway in Goodfellas.

I love him in Heat the best. As Neil Mcauley. I believe Paciino is more versatile though and gets my vote over Robert who I love also. But there are alot of other great actors that both Pacino and De Niro both would say are just as worthy. Going way back to the likes of Stewart and Bogart and Barbara Stanwyk and Bette Davis and Vivian Leigh and more recently to ones like Dustin Hoffman and even Steve McQueen who died far too young. And De Niro would absolutely put his late friend Marlon Brando in there too.

I would have to disagree with you somewhat, American Actors always seen to portray Themselves rather than take on a Characters Attributes,

exactly..dinero is always dinero.......john wayne is always john wayne

, with a few exceptions

love em both

i was thinking of dinero pics and could only come up with a few i'd find exceprional anyways....he's just portrayed some memorable characters in a few classic films

De Niro is certainly near the top. No arguing there. Of all of his films, the one that is my personal favorite is "The King of Comedy" where he plays the role of the disillusional Rupert Pupkin. That film also made me a believer in Jerry Lewis as a serious actor.

I personally do not agree. Sure Robert De Niro is one of the greatest, but "the greatest", nah! I don't think so! :P

But this man (see photo below) has ALWAYS managed to win me over with his acting techniques! :wub:

al_pacino_serpico.jpg

For some reason, my mom always refers to Al Pacino as "Mr. Shout A Lot". Sheesh! :blink:

Al Pacino was simply an amazing and versatile actor back in the 70's. The Godfather films(1 and 2, not the 3rd one) are films I can watch over and over again. And that is largely due to Al's performances. When he decided to become "Mr. Shout A Lot" in the early 90's, I sort of lost interest. Although it's still good fun to watch. Kind of like a band that released their best material during the 70's, and who continued to release good material after that, but not on the level of their 70's work.

Jack Nicholson.

Nicholson is tops with me.

They can't handle the Truth !

The Shining

Chinatown

A Few Good Men

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Easy Rider

Carnal Knowledge

The Last Detail

Hoffa

Wolf

--------------------------------

DeNiro OTOH, has starred in one of my favorite comedies: Meet The Parents.

Also, in Brazil, and Analyze This.

I also enjoyed him in dark film: The King of Comedy, The Misson, Angel Heart, and Backdraft.

De Niro and Pacino are my 2 favorites.

also in no order

Chaplin

Gene Hackman

Carroll O'Conner

Christopher Walken

Jodie Foster

Meryl Streep

Johnny Depp

Clint Eastwood

James Gandolfini

John Cazzale was only in 5 movies, but 5 of the all time best

The Godfather

The Godfather Part 2

The Conversation

Dog Day Afternoon

The Deer Hunter

Robert De Niro is definitely one of the greatest actors of all time. He is also one of my favorite actors, not the favorite one but he is in my top 5. My favorite Robert De Niro movies are Taxi Driver, The Godfather Part II, Raging Bull, The Deer Hunter and Goodfellas.

Laurence Olivier

Ah yes! Heathcliff!! Lots of good British actors out there like Kate Winslett, Gwyneth Paltrow, and lets never forget a guy named Alliistair Sim.(though a limited filmography, he always brightens up my Christmas's)

Now must I start an Al Pacino and Clint Eastwood thread? And what about Erol Flynn and Jimmy Stewart?

I agree with the late BIGDAN. Robert De Niro is always De Niro, unless you've see the movie "Bloody Mama" with Shelley Winters. That character sums it up for me.

Rod Steiger was a great actor. If you've never seen the Pawnbroker, it's one of his best performances. He was very multifaceted and didn't seem to allow himself to be typecast.

A few great favorites:

Spencer Tracy, Marlon Brando, Humphrey Bogart, Glenn Ford, Robert Mitchem, Burt Lancaster, Eddie G. Robinson etc. (any of these leading men blow De Niro out of the water, IMO)

But the greatest actor, probably would have to be Lon Cheney. Amazing.

Rod Steiger was a great actor. If you've never seen the Pawnbroker, it's one of his best performances. He was very multifaceted and didn't seem to allow himself to be typecast.

One of my fave movies and I haven't seen it in years.

B)

I agree with the late BIGDAN. Robert De Niro is always De Niro, unless you've see the movie "Bloody Mama" with Shelley Winters. That character sums it up for me.

A few great favorites:

Spencer Tracy, Marlon Brando, Humphrey Bogart, Glenn Ford, Robert Mitchem, Burt Lancaster, Eddie G. Robinson etc. (any of these leading men blow De Niro out of the water, IMO)

But the greatest actor, probably would have to be Lon Cheney. Amazing.

Thats a very good list. Always liked Lancaster myself. Id throw Steve McQueen in there and of course there are many others.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...

exactly..dinero is always dinero.......john wayne is always john wayne

, with a few exceptions

love em both

i was thinking of dinero pics and could only come up with a few i'd find exceprional anyways....he's just portrayed some memorable characters in a few classic films

You could say the same of Jack Nicholson. He's always Jack Nicholson no matter the film.

Archived