Do you think Jimmy Page is better today?

Black-Dog

I think that he play better today, IMO more cleaner and with more emotion. Look at the O2 Show, all these solos are very melody. Especially SIBLY, my favourite version of this song. Or the pieces in It Might Get Loud, the acoustic parts or the Foo Fighters gig. B)

He was great at the o2, but otherwise he didn't reallly play much lately, so it's hard to say.

His technical peak was definately 73 yeah, but he found new ways of expressing himself over and over again, so in creative terms he can do things he couldn't do in the past, but he is not as strong technically as he used to be!

If would be nice to have artistic progression and techicall perfection at the same time, but he is still great anyway!

Well I never saw Zep in their original incarnation but seeing Page live over the last 35 years , I would sa y live it was "The Outrider Tour" on Record it would be "Coverdale/Page" as for when he was in Zep well 1975 he was at his peak (touring and also the recording of "Presence"), zenith, his mojo was all ther so to speak..............IMHO

What can this illness do? Can he not play the guitar in some years?

Hi Black Dog,

It is a crippling disease, it stop the person being able to hold something properly, like a plectrum or guitar neck.

Yes.

Regards, Danny

Anybody that thinks Page is better now than 68-75 needs their head and ears examined.

Just booked the appointment with the Doc now :), I do think Jim did reach those heights in early 90's though, But yeh 75/6 was his day.

Jimmy wasn't always on top-form playing live in the latter part of the seventies - overall it seems to me that in concert he was at his best around 1972-73. In reality, he kept getting better, but it doesn't always come through in the live performances. Why? Different reasons, but really he has always tended to be somewhat "careless" playing live, and his attitude in the studio is quite different, even if he's often winging things there too. There is just a different ambition that comes into play. His best playing in the studio is undoubtedly on Presence, very focused, but also really inspired and beautiful. But that's actually what he's really been dealing in all along - not silly abstractions like "technique", but making music and presenting it with a great deal of individuality. The two "Embryos" are quite typical. They present no departure from his early vision for Led Zeppelin (and yet the band kept moving on!), and there is no reason for him to "move on" from there - because the music is actually moving in itself. What more could one possibly ask for?

I think he sounds just as good as he did back in '68. Yah, he's older now, but he is probably one of those committed guitarists that picks up a guitar and plays it everyday (or whenever he can fit it in his schedule). What am I saying, his IS A COMMITTED GUITARIST. I think he's still got it. IMGL wasn't that long ago and I think he may have answered any questions about his guitar playing. Just my opinion.

Archived