Robert Plant Band of Joy Tour 2011

SteveAJones

I had a really nice time at the show last night and it was a very pleasant distraction for me seeing Robert and the Band of Joy. The hubby and I got there early as I was worried about LA traffic but we did not run into any problems getting there. The Greek is a really nice venue. Lots of areas to eat, drink and relax while waiting for the show to start. The hubby got a funnell cake and shared with me which I washed down with a beer. Mmmmm. He was the designated driver for the night, so just a water for him.

The North Mississippi Allstarts opened and played for about 40 minutes. A duo of a guitarist and a drummer. They were pretty good and had a couple of instruments I have never seen before. An unusual stick of a guitar with a couple of canisters stuck on it but put out alot of sound. And the drummer had a Woogie Board which looked to be an electrified wash board that put out an unusual sound.

At the intermission I met Strider and we chatted quite awhile while waiting for the show to start again. He had scored seats in the front so I hope you got some great shots. Me being in the back did not facilitate getting any good shots or video. It was great meeting a fellow forum member. Again, thanks for the invite to Fatburgers, but we got out surprisingly quick as we were parked in the front of the stacked parking. But that did sound better than the Mcdonalds were were eating.

The show for me was great. I really like Roberts personable chatting between the songs. Roger, that quote may be just one of the Plantations open up for speculation. I actually thought he might of been talking about the aroma in the air. Sitting in the back area, someone had a stash that seemed to be wafting our way the whole show. A nice songlist of the BOJ songs interspursed with Zep songs.

I liked the new arrangements that fit in more of the style he is going for now (but still love the classics) and the way that he would step back and let some of the other players take the spotlight. I think my favorites were Ramble On and Angel Dance.

This was my first experience seeing Robert and a nice memory for me. Another check for my bucket list. :)

It was something like, "I noticed the smell of sulfur just as the door was closing, and now I'm happy to be here in something so colorful."

As I understand it T Bone wanted to take Robert & Alison further into Americana music but Robert wanted to move towards the Delta Blues. They did make an attempt at a follow-up to the first album but artistic differences quickly presented themselves.

In the end T Bone got boned and Robert was the one who was called upon to do the dirty work.

Sound-check has started...Plant's doing That's the Way right now @ 4:55pm PST.

Are you awake yet or still recovering from last night? :D It's a beautiful venue. People can be rude sometimes, though. It's still an urban environment. I'm always careful in Los Angeles. And I say a prayer for Mr. and Mrs. La Bianca every time I pass through that area. Happy Easter :D

Ramble On

Greek Theatre in Los Angeles, April 23, 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSdMvC5WNcYhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90xPyQCuGMU

I had a really nice time at the show last night and it was a very pleasant distraction for me seeing Robert and the Band of Joy. The hubby and I got there early as I was worried about LA traffic but we did not run into any problems getting there. The Greek is a really nice venue. Lots of areas to eat, drink and relax while waiting for the show to start. The hubby got a funnell cake and shared with me which I washed down with a beer. Mmmmm. He was the designated driver for the night, so just a water for him.

The North Mississippi Allstarts opened and played for about 40 minutes. A duo of a guitarist and a drummer. They were pretty good and had a couple of instruments I have never seen before. An unusual stick of a guitar with a couple of canisters stuck on it but put out alot of sound. And the drummer had a Woogie Board which looked to be an electrified wash board that put out an unusual sound.

At the intermission I met Strider and we chatted quite awhile while waiting for the show to start again. He had scored seats in the front so I hope you got some great shots. Me being in the back did not facilitate getting any good shots or video. It was great meeting a fellow forum member. Again, thanks for the invite to Fatburgers, but we got out surprisingly quick as we were parked in the front of the stacked parking. But that did sound better than the Mcdonalds were were eating.

The show for me was great. I really like Roberts personable chatting between the songs. Roger, that quote may be just one of the Plantations open up for speculation. I actually thought he might of been talking about the aroma in the air. Sitting in the back area, someone had a stash that seemed to be wafting our way the whole show. A nice songlist of the BOJ songs interspursed with Zep songs.

I liked the new arrangements that fit in more of the style he is going for now (but still love the classics) and the way that he would step back and let some of the other players take the spotlight. I think my favorites were Ramble On and Angel Dance.

This was my first experience seeing Robert and a nice memory for me. Another check for my bucket list. :)

Glad you enjoyed the show Ledzepfvr. Strider had posted yesterday that he arrived early hoping to get front row tix that hopefully would be released just prior to show time. Nice score on his part! This doesn't always happen on the day of the show.

Not sure if funnel cake and beer are a good match. :unsure::munchies: Not quite like a dry Riesling and brie. :yesnod:

Thanks, LZfvr, you may be right. I smelled quite a bit of MJ during the show. Knebby, thanks for the link. It was quite an interesting read. Hopefully we'll hear more from Robert and Alison some day. I think an album of them doing Delta Blues without T-Bone could be really great.

On the subject of food at the Greek- there is café on the golf course withing walking distance. Beer and wine, and halfway decent food. My wife and son had cheeseburgers and I had a burrito that was absolutely humongous. The show was a lot colder than I expected, and I think the woman bundled in a huge blanket is a genius, and the ladies miniskirts are much tougher than me when it comes to weather.

From NoDepression.com:

BAND OF JOY: Traveling Musical Circus Rambles Through Berkeley

By Robert Sproul

The evening of Friday, April 22nd was remarkably dry in the Bay Area. It was the opening concert of the season at the Greek Theater in Berkeley and, like all over the country, the weather has been unpredictable. I grew up in Berkeley and have attended concerts at the Greek since I was in high school. I saw presidential candidate Eugene McCarthy speak at the Greek. I saw Miles Davis throw down sheet music that Gil Evans had laid out for a set. I cringed when a crowd booed Charlie Mingus and was later admonished by Roland Kirk who said "if you alls treat me that way I just might wish a stroke on y'alls." I saw Stevie Ray Vaughn, Elvis Costello, Boz Scaggs and Van Morrison's recent Astral Weeks tour as well as four Cinco De Mayo Festivals where the Greek became a true cultural experience.

To read the rest of the review click here.

^Yeah, that was a good rendition of That's The Way! Thank you for posting it.

Neat guitar on this next one.

Los Angeles, Greek Theatre

Monkey

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reaction from the audience...

Los Angeles, Greek Theatre

Bowl, Santa Barbara

Thanks for posting those videos.

I know this might be a bit off topic but I was really intrigued by the Woogie Board that the NMA played at the show.

It seems that Cody Dickenson is the creator of this instrument. It's used with pedals too that helps with the unusual sound.

This isn't at the show I went to but just a sample of it.

Full report when you have time:-)

Yes, my Mistress. You know your wish is my command. ;-)

But right now I'm dog-tired. You see, around 4 in the morning Monday, still feeling miserable after the Lakers loss on Easter Sunday, I decided that I needed some more JOY in my life. One Band of Joy concert wasn't enough, I had to see another. So on the spur of the moment I road tripped up to Santa Barbara Monday to see Robert and the Band again that night at the SB Bowl.

Got back into LA today whereupon I immediately had to help out a friend with a book-signing event. Which we just finished wrapping up about an hour ago.

So let me catch up on my sleep and I'll give you a full report ASAP.

I have to say, given how thorough he usually is, I am surprised that SteveAJones has yet to post the Los Angeles Times and Orange County Register reviews that appeared in Monday's editions.

I've got a few extra free minutes on my lunch break, so I thought I'd post the set lists from the two shows I saw, just to tide you over until I can post a more thorough review.

GREEK THEATRE, Los Angeles April 23, 2011

1. Black Dog

2. Down to the Sea

3. Angel Dance

4. Black Country Woman

5. House of Cards

6. Monkey

7. Somewhere Trouble Don't Go (Buddy Miller)

8. That's the Way

9. A Satisfied Mind (Darrell Scott)

10. Satan Your Kingdom Must Come Down

11. Ocean Of Tears (Patty Griffin)

12. In the Mood

13. Please Read the Letter

14. Houses of the Holy

15. Ramble On

Encore:

16. Harms Swift Way

17. Gallows Pole

18. And We Bid You Goodnight

Santa Barbara Bowl April 25, 2011

1. Black Dog

2. Down to the Sea

3. Angel Dance

4. Black Country Woman

5. House of Cards

6. Monkey

7. Somewhere Trouble Don’t Go (Buddy Miller)

8. ALL MY LOVE!!!

11. Ocean of Tears (Patty Griffin)

12. In the Mood/Come All Ye

14. Houses of the Holy

15. Ramble On

Encore:

16. Harm’s Swift Way

17. Gallows Pole

18. And We Bid You Goodnight(following a false start on some other song, with Buddy playing what looked to be an autoharp)

I'm not sure, but was this the first time Plant has sung "All My Love" on this tour? It's the first time I've EVER heard him do it in concert. And does anyone, who was close to the stage and could see the setlist, know what the last song was going to be before they stopped and changed to "And We Bid You Goodnight"?

Robert Plant at the Greek Theatre Los Angeles last night

Written by Paul Lyons

Sunday, 24 April 2011 19:48

On Thursday, January 2, 1969, 20 year old Robert Plant walked on stage at the legendary Whisky A-Go-Go nightclub to perform his first ever concert in Los Angeles. At the time, he was playing with a hot new rock and roll band called Led Zeppelin. The City of Angels soon became the band’s home away from home, and Zeppelin would return to L.A. time and again to set up shop at the Riot House (now known as the The Andaz West Hollywood), drink and dine down the street at the Rainbow Bar & Grill, and play massive concerts at The Forum down in Inglewood.

On Saturday, April 23, 2011, 62 year old Robert Plant walked on stage at the legendary 80 year old, 6,162 capacity, Greek Theatre to once again dazzle an enthusiastic L.A. crowd. Those who were fortunate enough to attend the 90-minute, 18-song set were treated to the diverse musical colors of a man who’s seen it all and done it all...yet is still is capable of delivering a fresh, and inspiring performance.

This time ‘round, Plant came armed with another hot new outfit...called Band of Joy. The band may be new, yet the name of the band is not. You see Plant first formed a group called Band of Joy in the mid-60s. Chris Brown was on organ, Kevyn Gammond was on guitar and vocals, Byron House played bass, Robert Plant sang, and the drummer was a powerhouse by the name of John Bonham. Yet once Led Zeppelin came along, Band of Joy faded away.

In 2010, Robert Plant decided to revive the Band of Joy name, rehire original bassist Byron House, and work with a new set of musicians including Grammy-winning folk/country singer-songwriter Patty Griffin, country singer and guitarist Buddy Miller, multi-instrumentalist Darrell Scott, and drummer Marco Giovino. Their self-titled album (Band of Joy) was released last fall, and consists entirely of folk, country, and bluegrass versions of songs written by others. Keeping with that tone, Saturday night’s concert had a strong country-folk bent to it. This was by no means a rock and roll show.

At 9:15pm, Robert Plant walked nonchalantly to the front of the stage and lead the band into a folk/country version of the Led Zeppelin classic “Black Dog.” By no means faithful to the 1971 original, the song still sounded great nonetheless. Sure, Plant could have attempted to rock out the song the way Zeppelin would have done back in the day, yet he knows better. Instead of trying to recreate the past, Plant choose to celebrate it with who he is now.

The Robert Plant of today can no longer hit the high notes he used to sing in his 20’s...so he wisely relies on other members of the band to sometimes sing with him...and provide vocal harmonies. Yet if you think this means that Robert Plant can no longer sing, you’d be dead wrong. His distinctive mid-range is still very strong, and he manages to carry the music effortlessly.

“Down To The Sea” (an oddity from Plant’s 1993 Fate of Nations album) was the second tune of the night. It was played in a raw style that stripped away the rock and roll edge of the original recording, yet kept the core melody and feel. This was one of only two Robert Plant solo songs performed in the entire concert. The other one was 1983’s “In The Mood,” the 2nd track off his 2nd album: The Principle of Moments. Again, Plant choose an arrangement that fit within the folk/country feel of the evening.

The concert featured six tracks from the Band of Joy album, including excellent renditions of “Angel Dance” by Los Lobos, “House of Cards” by Richard Thompson, “Monkey” by the Minnesota indie-rock group Low, and “Satan Your Kingdom Must Come Down” by the alt-country band Uncle Tupelo. Guitarist Buddy Miller sung lead vocals on his own song from the album, “Somewhere Trouble Don’t Go.” Staying in the pure country mode, Darrell Scott came out to sing the 1955 Porter Wagoner classic “A Satisfied Mind,” while Patty Griffin sung lead vocals on “Ocean of Tears” (which I believe is an an old Big Maybelle song from 1955).

Yet the highlight for most people at the Greek Theatre was the Led Zeppelin songs featured in the show. Robert Plant generously played no less than six Zeppelin numbers throughout the night, as well as one Page/Plant song from the 1990’s. 1975’s “Black Country Woman” fit perfectly within the country/folk theme of the evening...as did the 1970 Led Zeppelin III gem “That’s The Way.” Plant’s vocals were both haunting and beautiful on both of these songs. “Please Read The Letter” sounded fantastic...in an arrangement closer to the version he cut with Allison Krauss in 2007, yet still with shades of the original 1998 rock and roll track he cut with Jimmy Page. The main set closed with a country-Zeppelin double-whammy of “Houses of the Holy” from 1975’s Physical Graffiti collection, and a very well received “Ramble On”...a radio-favorite from 1969's Led Zeppelin II.

Returning for an encore, Plant and the band played another track off of their self-titled album: a fine version of Townes Van Zandt’s “Harms Swift Way.” To close the night, Plant choose two songs whose origins date back to the 1930‘s. First up was a sweet and mellow country version of “Gallows Pole”...an old folk song that Lead Belly popularized, and that Led Zeppelin recorded for their Led Zeppelin III album. After that song, the band put their instruments down, and sung with Robert Plant an a cappella rendition of “And We Bid You Goodnight”...a song the Grateful Dead used to close their concerts with.

Unlike his post-Zeppelin solo career in the 80’s, Robert Plant has taken the pressure off himself to produce new, and groundbreaking material. The 21st Century Robert Plant just wants to enjoy and celebrate the music that he loves. Some of it are songs he’s written, yet the bulk of it consists of songs written by others. This is no Rod Stewart, Great American Songbook, with old hits and popular standards. No, this is Robert Plant swallowing his pride and indulging in his passion, even if his passion consists of mostly obscure, noncommercial material that most people have never even heard of. Kudos to Plant for being true to himself, and refusing to become an oldies act filled with crowd-pleasing hits. Just as he was back in 1969 at the Whisky, the Robert Plant I saw Saturday night at the Greek was nothing short of a true artist...performing on his own terms, and letting the audience know exactly who he is, and what he is about...

http://www.ocreloaded.com/concert-reviews/344-robert-plant-at-the-greek-theatre-los-angeles-last-night.html

I've got a few extra free minutes on my lunch break, so I thought I'd post the set lists from the two shows I saw, just to tide you over until I can post a more thorough review.

GREEK THEATRE, Los Angeles April 23, 2011

1. Black Dog

2. Down to the Sea

3. Angel Dance

4. Black Country Woman

5. House of Cards

6. Monkey

7. Somewhere Trouble Don't Go (Buddy Miller)

8. That's the Way

11. Ocean Of Tears (Patty Griffin)

12. In the Mood

14. Houses of the Holy

15. Ramble On

Encore:

16. Harms Swift Way

17. Gallows Pole

18. And We Bid You Goodnight

Santa Barbara Bowl April 25, 2011

1. Black Dog

2. Down to the Sea

3. Angel Dance

4. Black Country Woman

5. House of Cards

6. Monkey

7. Somewhere Trouble Don’t Go (Buddy Miller)

8. ALL MY LOVE!!!

11. Ocean of Tears (Patty Griffin)

12. In the Mood/Come All Ye

14. Houses of the Holy

15. Ramble On

Encore:

16. Harm’s Swift Way

17. Gallows Pole

18. And We Bid You Goodnight(following a false start on some other song, with Buddy playing what looked to be an autoharp)

I'm not sure, but was this the first time Plant has sung "All My Love" on this tour? It's the first time I've EVER heard him do it in concert. And does anyone, who was close to the stage and could see the setlist, know what the last song was going to be before they stopped and changed to "And We Bid You Goodnight"?

The earlier dates in April in the beginning of this part of the tour Robert was performing Dylan's "A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall", to close the shows, so it may have been that.

Setlist from Denver 4-27-2011

1. Black dog

2. Carry Me Down to the Sea

3. Angel Dance

4. Black Country Woman

5. House of Cards (Richard Thompon)

6. Monkey (Low)

7. Somewhere trouble don't go - Buddy Miller

8. Silver Rider (Low)

9. Satisfied Mind (Porter Wagoner) - Darrell Scott

10. Satan Your Kingdom Must Come Down (Uncle Tupelo)

11. Ocean of Tears - Patty Griffin

12. In the Mood

13. Misty Mountain Hop

14. Please Read the Letter

15. Ramble on

Encore

16. Rock and Roll

17. ???

The earlier dates in April in the beginning of this part of the tour Robert was performing Dylan's "A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall", to close the shows, so it may have been that.

if he left out zeppelin material in his concerts today i wouldnt listen to this folk music or even go to concerts. moral of the story is thank god for jimmy page and led zeppelin without them he would be walking the subways . Isnt it about time he goes back to where he really came from and wake up jimmy again .Or just go on without zeppelin songs.

if he left out zeppelin material in his concerts today i wouldnt listen to this folk music or even go to concerts. moral of the story is thank god for jimmy page and led zeppelin without them he would be walking the subways . Isnt it about time he goes back to where he really came from and wake up jimmy again .Or just go on without zeppelin songs.

Agree, Jahfin...Beautiful version^^

hardrockin, they have been doing this type of music for a long time!! And as far as your comment about Robert walking a subway..REALLY :huh::rolleyes:

Strider, still waiting on that review :D

ledzepfvr, great article, thanks for posting^^

Archived