Robert Plant Band of Joy Tour 2011

SteveAJones

Hello all, this is my first post.

I have a couple of poor cellphone pictures of the event. Would it be in bad taste, a rules violation, or an invasion of privacy in some way to post one if anyone cares? Thanks and I hope to contribute on the forum from time to time.

Welcome to the board CIAFTOG! :)

As you can see, others have posted their photos and YouTube clips, so I say "Post away!" I think we'd all like to see your pics.

Welcome to the boards CIAFTOG. Glad you enjoyed Robert's show in such an intimate venue. A saw him in a club show in NYC last September at the Bowery Ballroom. What a great show that was in such a small venue. Not as intimate as yours, but the place seats about 500.

Hello all, this is my first post. I had the privilege of seeing Robert Plant and several members of the BOJ play last Friday night at Preservation Hall in New Orleans. I saw the review posted above, and it makes several good points. This was my first opportunity to see Plant play live and it was amazing. For those unaware, Preservation Hall seats about 50 or so people. I was sitting on a bench in the front row, maybe five or six feet from the performers. To say that Mr. Plant is enjoying this renaissance is an understatement. According to one of the Preservation Hall staff, Plant had wanted to sing "Nature Boy" live for years, but never felt he had an intimate enough room to do so. I guess Preservation Hall was small enough and felt right. He was clearly having a great time interacting with the musicians and the audience, and made a great effort in what was an impromptu show. I used to be on the bandwagon with those who felt jilted that he won't revisit a Zeppelin reunion, but seeing him doing his thing, I have come to a different conclusion. I'd still love a reunion tour to happen, but at least he is happy for now doing what he wants. Plus, he gets whatever Zeppelin gratification he needs doing the revised numbers he does. I have a couple of poor cellphone pictures of the event. Would it be in bad taste, a rules violation, or an invasion of privacy in some way to post one if anyone cares? Thanks and I hope to contribute on the forum from time to time.

WOW! What an honor to be in attendance when Robert, Patty, Darrell and Buddy played with the Preservation Hall Jazz Band! I would think that Robert was thrilled to have that opportunity and I am so happy for him! I have been to a Preservation Hall Jazz Band concert, and they are great musicians! Please post your pictures, we would love to see them!

I will be attending the BOJ concert in Columbus on June 13th. My husband bought the tickets for my birthday, which will be a few days before the concert. I hope that Robert sings "Cindy, I'll Marry You One Day" again. I want to thank him for singing it at the recent Louisville show that I attended. Seems like that song was not in the lineup much for this past leg of their tour. It is my favorite song from the BOJ album.

Hello all, this is my first post. I had the privilege of seeing Robert Plant and several members of the BOJ play last Friday night at Preservation Hall in New Orleans. I saw the review posted above, and it makes several good points. This was my first opportunity to see Plant play live and it was amazing. For those unaware, Preservation Hall seats about 50 or so people. I was sitting on a bench in the front row, maybe five or six feet from the performers. To say that Mr. Plant is enjoying this renaissance is an understatement. According to one of the Preservation Hall staff, Plant had wanted to sing "Nature Boy" live for years, but never felt he had an intimate enough room to do so. I guess Preservation Hall was small enough and felt right. He was clearly having a great time interacting with the musicians and the audience, and made a great effort in what was an impromptu show. I used to be on the bandwagon with those who felt jilted that he won't revisit a Zeppelin reunion, but seeing him doing his thing, I have come to a different conclusion. I'd still love a reunion tour to happen, but at least he is happy for now doing what he wants. Plus, he gets whatever Zeppelin gratification he needs doing the revised numbers he does. I have a couple of poor cellphone pictures of the event. Would it be in bad taste, a rules violation, or an invasion of privacy in some way to post one if anyone cares? Thanks and I hope to contribute on the forum from time to time.

Well this is also my first time posting here and in an odd coincidence, I also got to see Robert, Patty, Buddy and Darrell perform at Preservation Hall. I saw Marco there as well but he was standing in the back doorway or out in the hall most of the time. I didn't see Byron but that may have been because I was in shock lol. Anyway, I also am in possession of horrible camera phone pictures of one of the most amazing impromptu concerts I've ever been to. I went excited to see Patty and Buddy play in such a small space and wound up walking away with my head spinning from the excitement of being less than twenty feet from all four of the main singers in the group. I thought each person did an amazing job that night and really enjoyed the jazzed up version of Rich Woman that Robert and Patty did. That Nature Boy was something else. Robert really went after the emotion behind the song and, at times, almost looked like he was performing a solo at a recital with his hands clasped together at his sides. Anyway, nice to meet you and I've really been enjoying the discussions on this site.

5682615252_cd0752dca6.jpg5682049119_199e001535.jpg

Lots of new dates up on Robert's site.

Maybe I'm misreading it but I checked Robert's site under the tour link and it seems to be the same dates through the first week in August. Is this correct?

Well this is also my first time posting here and in an odd coincidence, I also got to see Robert, Patty, Buddy and Darrell perform at Preservation Hall. I saw Marco there as well but he was standing in the back doorway or out in the hall most of the time. I didn't see Byron but that may have been because I was in shock lol. Anyway, I also am in possession of horrible camera phone pictures of one of the most amazing impromptu concerts I've ever been to. I went excited to see Patty and Buddy play in such a small space and wound up walking away with my head spinning from the excitement of being less than twenty feet from all four of the main singers in the group. I thought each person did an amazing job that night and really enjoyed the jazzed up version of Rich Woman that Robert and Patty did. That Nature Boy was something else. Robert really went after the emotion behind the song and, at times, almost looked like he was performing a solo at a recital with his hands clasped together at his sides. Anyway, nice to meet you and I've really been enjoying the discussions on this site.

5682615252_cd0752dca6.jpg5682049119_199e001535.jpg

Oh WOW!!!!! What great pics!!!!! Thanks for posting these jaeleigh and welcome to the forums. God I wish I had been there! Was in N.O. and saw him at Jazz Fest but this would have been a mind blowing experience. Wish they had a video on youtube but the best I can tell, none has been posted yet. :-(

I would love to see video of that night, but I'm pretty sure it will just have to remain in my head because they were pretty strict from the beginning about no videos and no flash photography. There was one person taking flash photos but I believe that was a professional photographer since I've seen a few photos of that night on the Jazz Band's photographer's website. I still can't believe he showed up there. We'd heard rumors he was going to sit in with another group that was playing somewhere else that night so it was really cool when he showed up at the end. Of course, it was great to have Darrell there as well and we saw Marco Giovinno just kinda hanging around so it's cool that they all hang out and support one another even when not doing Band of Joy stuff.

Here are links to my Jazz Fest pictures as well as more taken at Preservation Hall for anyne interested :)

Thank goodness the video of the event was posted. My pictures are dark and terrible. We weren't allowed flash photos and I ended up taking lousy iPhone photos. Two are attached just to give you an idea. I met the photographer who shot the video, he is a good guy. I was not sold on the Band of Joy concept originally, but having seen it up close I do recommend it for those on the fence....

post-17230-0-17227600-1306861805_thumb.j

post-17230-0-75073200-1306861850_thumb.j

Midnight Preserves 2011 - Preservation Hall - JazzFest - Robert Plant and a few other artist

Just curious, Deborah J, have you had a chance to see the Band of Joy tour? I am flying out to see them in Ohio in two weeks. I can't WAIT! So very excited! I know you may be the worlds biggest Percy Fan. I'd just like to know how you enjoyed the show?

jojo

post-16971-0-56248000-1306891648_thumb.j

Midnight Preserves 2011 - Preservation Hall - JazzFest - Robert Plant and a few other artist

Thanks for finding and posting this youtube clip. Started looking for a video right after the event but nothing showed up, then stopped looking. Thank you for finding this Deb. Just wish they had all of Plant's "Nature Boy". The reviews in the Times Picayune were quite flattering:

Robert Plant killed softly with Buddy Miller and Patty Griffin at Preservation Hall

Published: Saturday, April 30, 2011, 2:10 PM Updated: Sunday, May 01, 2011, 9:25 AM

Last things first: Robert Plant sang at Preservation Hall Friday night. If all you knew about the singer was that he played his chest hair as the frontman for Led Zeppelin, you probably wouldn't have even recognized the guy.

9532775-large.jpg

Chris Granger / The Times-Picayune

Former Led Zeppelin singer Robert Plant performed with Patty Griffin on the Acura Stage at the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival on Friday - and again at Preservation Hall Friday night. Plant's latest group, Band of Joy, played New Orleans Jazz Fest earlier in the day, and two of its members, Buddy Miller and Patty Griffin, were performing a late set with the Preservation Hall Jazz Band. Plant showed up at the end of it. In short order he hushed the room with a song that was the precise antonym of everything in his sizable back catalog of music either explicitly about or suggestive of having his lemon squeezed.

It was "Nature Boy," the jazz standard made famous by Nat King Cole, and Plant killed it softly, owning the lyric -- "the greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return" - with a scarred purr as tender as Zeppelin was virile. Plant won't be confused for Billie Holiday any day soon, but the physical effort it took for him to succumb to the song was poignant.

Plant lightened the mood considerably with two more raucous numbers, both of which required the full weight of the fleshed-out Preservation Hall Jazz Band: "Rich Woman," which the rhythm section fixed with a tribal beat more in keeping with Li'l Millett and the Creoles's original than the moody version Plant recorded with Alison Krauss, and Willie Dixon's "You Can't Judge a Book by the Cover."

That the performances were clearly under-rehearsed didn't matter. They underscored Plant's remarkably humble self-reinvention as a menschy music enthusiast who just happens to be a rock god. In recent years, he's surrounded himself with musicians to whom he has no problem playing second fiddle. And perhaps the coolest thing about Friday night was that it didn't belong to Plant.

It belonged to the P.H.J.B., who has undergone a reinvention of their own in recent years as crackerjack backing band that manages to be musically nimble without ever totally abandoning their sound. Their agility was evident from the moment Miller took the stage to sing "I Ain't Got Nobody." He credited the song to minstrel singer Emmett Miller and opened it up for the house band's players, most notably clarinetist Charlie Garbriel, who matched Miller's achy warble with an equally achy solo.

Miller is a top-shelf vocalist and guitar player who looks like a small town car mechanic with a clothes allowance and sounds like James Carr might have were he a white kid from Appalachia. He's also a practicing Christian who leaned into "That Lucky Old Sun" like the haunting spiritual it is. The band pulsed tastefully behind him, like a church organ.

Griffin played a background role for much of the evening, but she proved more than up for the challenge when she stepped to center stage. Backed by tinkling piano and muted trumpet, she drew on a jazz singer's sense of timing for "I'm Gonna Miss You When You're Gone." It's a toss-up as to which was more heart-stopping, her delivery of the words "I know you don't believe that/You're wrong," or the brief but eternal-sounding pause she inserted between the two lines.

Miller turned the casual nature of the performance into an ongoing comedy skit. He admitted he chose to eat instead of rehearse - in a nod to New Orleans food, he said "it was an easy choice" -- and he never could seem to find the right cord for plugging in his guitars. But the self-effacement wasn't necessary. I gather Miller spoke for everyone who pressed into the tiny room when he said to the band, "You guys sound incredible."

Brett Anderson can be reached at 504.826.3353. Follow him at twitter.com/BrettAndersonTP.