Robert Plant Band of Joy Tour 2011

SteveAJones

I haven't actually heard any of it yet but I've read nothing but good things about this record:

album.png

Andrew Bird – "Shake It and Break It"

Paolo Nutini – "Between the Devil and Deep Blue Sea"

Tom Waits – "Tootie Ma Is A Big Fine Thing"

Yim Yames – "Louisiana Fairytale"

Del McCoury – "After You've Gone"

Ani DiFranco – "Freight Train"

Pete Seeger & Tao Rodriguez-Seeger – "Blue Skies (Comin My Way)"

Jason Isbell – "Nobody Knows You"

Brandi Carlile – "Old Rugged Cross"

Richie Havens – "Trouble in Mind"

Merle Haggard – "Basin Street Blues"

Blind Boys of Alabama – "There is a Light"

Dr. John – "Winin' Boy"

Louis Armstrong – "Rockin' Chair"

Amy LaVere – "Baby Won't You Please Come Home"

Steve Earle – "Tain't Nobody's Business"

Cory Chisel – "Some Cold Rainy Day"

Buddy Miller – "I Ain't Got Nobody"

Angelique Kidjo with Terence Blanchard – "La Vie En Rose"

Bonus Tracks (Deluxe CD)

Anita Briem – "C'est Si Bon"

Paolo Nutini – "Pencil Full of Lead"

Yim Yames – "St. James Infirmary"

Tom Waits – "Corine Dies On The Battlefield"

Pete Seeger & Tao Rodriguez-Seeger – "Sailin' Up Sailin' Down"

Pete Seeger & Tao Rodriguez-Seeger – "We Shall Overcome"

Hi Jaeleigh, well that does make me feel a little better. It's been years and years since I've been to Preservation Hall - too long to really remember how long it's been. The last I recall, I believe you just paid at the door - I could be totally wrong though. I guess what I'm asking is did you know ahead of time that Robert Plant would show up or was it just random? The article in the paper made it seem like it was random.

5679537783_782fae3b68.jpg

I got an email about two weeks before going to New Orleans letting me know that Buddy Miller and Patty Griffin had signed on for the first night of the Midnight Preserves series and it had a link where you could purchase tickets early. From my understanding, tickets were also going to be available at the door but it mentioned that was only if it wasn't Sold Out. I'd heard from a friend that Preservation Hall was a pretty small venue so I thought it'd be safer to go ahead and purchase the tickets early...I'm a fan of both Patty and Buddy's and am a sucker when you get a good concert and help benefit any music programs so it was win/win. I thought there might be a chance that Robert would show up but there were lots of rumors going around at the Jazz Festival that he was going to sit in on a set that some other group was doing that night so basically just gave up on that thought. It wasn't until we got in there and I started seeing other members (Marco and Darrell) and then their main roadie guy (found out his name was Ian from that American Truckers episode they did on the Band of Joy lol) that I started to think that maybe something was up. It was weird though because I was standing pretty close to the door that leads out to the hallway and had seen Patty, Buddy and Darrell walk by and that's actually where Marco stood for a good portion of the show, but I somehow totally missed Robert walking past there. So, to make a long story slightly shorter lol, it was a surprise when he suddenly popped up there on stage and started singing Nature Boy. The whole thing was a lot of fun though because since they weren't even able to get off of the Jazz Fest grounds until about an hour before the show (we were waiting on a trolley to take us back to my car and totally freaking out as time was winding down when their bus drove right past us and out the gate) they apparently decided to eat instead of practice with the Jazz Band so the whole show had a serious spontaneous feeling to it...because it pretty much was spontaneous. Buddy commented that it was like getting together with your family and some of them getting up there and singing and that was pretty spot on from our standpoint. Of course, in this particular case, my family actually had musical talent and one of them was Robert Frickin Plant

5679537783_782fae3b68.jpg

I got an email about two weeks before going to New Orleans letting me know that Buddy Miller and Patty Griffin had signed on for the first night of the Midnight Preserves series and it had a link where you could purchase tickets early. From my understanding, tickets were also going to be available at the door but it mentioned that was only if it wasn't Sold Out. I'd heard from a friend that Preservation Hall was a pretty small venue so I thought it'd be safer to go ahead and purchase the tickets early...I'm a fan of both Patty and Buddy's and am a sucker when you get a good concert and help benefit any music programs so it was win/win. I thought there might be a chance that Robert would show up but there were lots of rumors going around at the Jazz Festival that he was going to sit in on a set that some other group was doing that night so basically just gave up on that thought. It wasn't until we got in there and I started seeing other members (Marco and Darrell) and then their main roadie guy (found out his name was Ian from that American Truckers episode they did on the Band of Joy lol) that I started to think that maybe something was up. It was weird though because I was standing pretty close to the door that leads out to the hallway and had seen Patty, Buddy and Darrell walk by and that's actually where Marco stood for a good portion of the show, but I somehow totally missed Robert walking past there. So, to make a long story slightly shorter lol, it was a surprise when he suddenly popped up there on stage and started singing Nature Boy. The whole thing was a lot of fun though because since they weren't even able to get off of the Jazz Fest grounds until about an hour before the show (we were waiting on a trolley to take us back to my car and totally freaking out as time was winding down when their bus drove right past us and out the gate) they apparently decided to eat instead of practice with the Jazz Band so the whole show had a serious spontaneous feeling to it...because it pretty much was spontaneous. Buddy commented that it was like getting together with your family and some of them getting up there and singing and that was pretty spot on from our standpoint. Of course, in this particular case, my family actually had musical talent and one of them was Robert Frickin Plant

OMG Jaeleigh!!!!!!! What an amazing evening you had! I'm totally jealous! What a once in a life time event! I swear sometimes I feel like I'm living under a rock - LOL. You know, there are some people that make things happen, some people who watch things happen and some people who ask "What the hell happened?", I'm in that last group more times than I care to. (long sigh . . . . . . . . . . . . .)

OMG Jaeleigh!!!!!!! What an amazing evening you had! I'm totally jealous! What a once in a life time event! I swear sometimes I feel like I'm living under a rock - LOL. You know, there are some people that make things happen, some people who watch things happen and some people who ask "What the hell happened?", I'm in that last group more times than I care to. (long sigh . . . . . . . . . . . . .)

Well I completely missed seeing them in Tulsa last year even though I had tickets so I was determined when they got close enough to see again I was going to do whatever I could to make the most of the opportunity. Now I'm kicking myself for not getting tickets to St. Louis. I just keep thinking about how there are only 22 shows left and who knows where they're going to go or what they're going to do after this leg of the tour? This might be it...or they might go back in the studio to do new stuff.

I thought there might be a chance that Robert would show up but there were lots of rumors going around at the Jazz Festival that he was going to sit in on a set that some other group was doing that night

So guess who went with the wrong rumor? :rolleyes::lol: Glad you had such a great time, anyway.

So guess who went with the wrong rumor? :rolleyes::lol: Glad you had such a great time, anyway.

Awww...Bummer! Well at least you got to see them at the Jazz Fest, right? That was a pretty great show too :)

Tickets to the Preservation Hall show were sold out by the day of the event. I had work some connections to get mine. I went in a group of three people, and we were each offered $250 for our tickets that evening waiting on the line to get in. Obviously, by then word had gotten around. As for the set itself, Buddy Miller had a paper on which someone had handwritten the set list that sat at his feet most of the night. Mr. Plant was in the hallway outside the main room for some of the show. I'm guessing he hid in the artists' only area for some as well. Considering how small the venue he did not mingle with the audience before or after much. I got a chance to say a quick hello as he exited the rushed sound check before the show. Still quite a thrill....

Tickets to the Preservation Hall show were sold out by the day of the event. I had work some connections to get mine. I went in a group of three people, and we were each offered $250 for our tickets that evening waiting on the line to get in. Obviously, by then word had gotten around. As for the set itself, Buddy Guy had a paper on which someone had handwritten the set list that sat at his feet most of the night. Mr. Plant was in the hallway outside the main room for some of the show. I'm guessing he hid in the artists' only area for some as well. Considering how small the venue he did not mingle with the audience before or after much. I got a chance to say a quick hello as he exited the rushed sound check before the show. Still quite a thrill....

We about landed on top of him stepping down into the hallway after their encore song lol but still got to mutter something about the show being great and got a "Thank You" from Robert so that was pretty amazing. I didn't get a $250 offer, though. I think the highest offer any of us got that night was $200. Still, for a once in a lifetime experience, there is no price. And it was nice to see them up there so much more laid back than in the normal concert setting...also the Jazz Band was pretty amazing themselves.

We about landed on top of him stepping down into the hallway after their encore song lol but still got to mutter something about the show being great and got a "Thank You" from Robert so that was pretty amazing. I didn't get a $250 offer, though. I think the highest offer any of us got that night was $200. Still, for a once in a lifetime experience, there is no price. And it was nice to see them up there so much more laid back than in the normal concert setting...also the Jazz Band was pretty amazing themselves.

Airfare to New Orleans - $300, hotel room in New Orleans - $150, tickets to Preservation Hall to see Buddy Miller and Patty Griffin - $25, having Robert Plant show-up, do a few songs and have him personally tell you "Thank You" - PRICELESS!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Airfare to New Orleans - $300, hotel room in New Orleans - $150, tickets to Preservation Hall to see Buddy Miller and Patty Griffin - $25, having Robert Plant show-up, do a few songs and have him personally tell you "Thank You" - PRICELESS!!!!!! :rolleyes:

:hysterical: Thanks for that

Much as I've enjoyed talking about my awesome experience, I'm ready for them to get back out on the road and start doing new stuff. Guess we'll know Wednesday if they've changed anything up...

Both you and CIAFTOG are so freakin lucky! I have been there so many times and like I stated earlier, they never were there when I was. If anyone post seeing him at Storyville I'll scream :dont: Honestly, I really am glad for those that got to see this in such an intimate place.

justawoman- Laughing so hard at your comment^^

Aqua- next time they play in The Big Easy, a few of us have got to get together :party:

IMHO, the best part of the performance was when Robert had to wake up the clarinet player who appeared to be dozing off onstage. The look on Mr. Plant's face at that moment was something out of a bad Will Ferrell movie. Again, it was great to see him having such fun, and be so relaxed. I can understand why at his age he prefers the low key approach. Maybe Jimmy will visit here sometime and we'll have a nice compare and contrast.....

IMHO, the best part of the performance was when Robert had to wake up the clarinet player who appeared to be dozing off onstage. The look on Mr. Plant's face at that moment was something out of a bad Will Ferrell movie. Again, it was great to see him having such fun, and be so relaxed. I can understand why at his age he prefers the low key approach. Maybe Jimmy will visit here sometime and we'll have a nice compare and contrast.....

My favorite was how Robert started to walk off the stage after Nature Boy and Buddy and Patty jumped in front of him like they were going to tackle him if he tried to leave. :nhl: <-- in no way represents what they did but it was this smiley or the dueling smileys and no one had a sword that I noticed. I also really preferred the jazzed up version of Rich Woman. Oh and Robert reacting to the screams from outside was funny...and Buddy with the guitar plugs...and Buddy and Patty's back and forth over which guitar Buddy was supposed to be playing. It was a fun night. Oh yeah, did I mention Robert spoke to me? Cause, you know, he did...and I mean, it was sorta neat if you like that kinda thing :faint1:

Jaeleigh and CIAFTOG loving all the info ya'll are sharing on that magical night. It's like I'm living vicariously through ya'll. I can see the event playing out in my mind's eye. Thanks so much for sharing. I just wish they had a full youtube clip of Robert singing Nature Boy. Ever since that reporter described him singing tenderly with a 'scarred purr', I'm scarred. I so want to hear it.

And . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Deb, if they play N.O. again (or Baton Rouge or Lafayette), count me in I'm there! :P

I too am waiting on JP... Would go to the end of the earth to see him! My brother caught Page/Plant while I was away in Germany at school. Ohio is the closest to Vermont that I can see BOJ...so I'm doing a fly-in, see show, sleep, fly out! Ohio holds no interest for me...except for that night, in Columbus...(I'm taking my cousin... middle-aged girls adventure! Gonna scream like school girls I imagine!) I'll go back and read your recap. Have a great evening! Jojo in VT

My entire family will be attending the Columbus concert! We have great seats! It will be a great show! Can't wait!

Columbus does have alot to offer. If you have time, take a short drive up North High Street and visit the Ohio State University campus. The Columbus Zoo is a bit farther out from downtown. The Arena District near downtown has alot of restaurants, clubs and bars, as well as does the Short North area which is also a short distance from downtown on North High Street. The Columbus Conservatory is a nice place to visit. The last time I was there they had alot of Chihully glass sculptures among the interesting plants. The Columbus Museum of Art is also a nice art gallery. Both are near downtown. Lots to do if you have any time to kill.

Anyone else going to The Band of Joy concert in Columbus on Monday?

Archived