Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
SteveAJones

Robert Plant Band of Joy Tour 2011

Fantastic show last night. One encore (Gallows Pole) and the rain started coming down and that was the end of the concert.

A review from the local paper

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/entertainment/Review+Zeppelin+become+jazz+Plant+hands/4997258/story.html

http://www.ottawasun.com/2011/06/23/plant-shares-joy-of-jazz

A couple of videos and pics

Off to Montreal tonight for more joy....................

post-9287-0-96427600-1308909224_thumb.jp

post-9287-0-21520200-1308909287_thumb.jp

post-9287-0-77971800-1308909300_thumb.jp

Fantastic show last night. One encore (Gallows Pole) and the rain started coming down and that was the end of the concert.

Off to Montreal tonight for more joy....................

....surfinsam, have a great time again, Robert recalled fondest memories of the Rain in Peg; ('70/Man Pop Festival), he recalled being here in 19th Century...I had seen him perform the first time in my life......

The CBC Radio Host (his name escapes me) hosted the show briefly and he also recalled the first opportunity to meet the Legendary Robert Plant....he said people were asking

him to let's go and meet Robert Plant, but he was too busy falling in love with a woman, (this would happen back then, sign of times, I guess, many of my colleagues recall being at the Festival back then with similar memorie)s!!! ........

.......at Encore, Robert/all, left the stage Robert saying "see you in 2070", but to a very heavy long standing ovation, they came out and performed few more songs.....

.......D. Scott, Buddy Miller, P. Griffin all had spotlight each, and Robert Plant disappeared into the back each time, with Tea Cup in his hand, I was thinking the obvious, (I wish they would have performed that then);

........IMHO There is no doubt that Robert Plant is a Leo, very "Center of Stage-Spotlight" kind of performer. He is proud of himself/his accomplishments, and it shows in his performances. He knows how to "develop" chemistry with just about every artist in the world...Music, this is a job for Robert Plant, he should be doing this, this is what it is all about, "he has got it.."

...I will post some photos, etc. later...I just have to get to this...

...........The caravan hasn't reached its' destination yet.........

PPage......

***not edited for typing".....

....surfinsam, have a great time again, Robert recalled fondest memories of the Rain in Peg; ('70/Man Pop Festival), he recalled being here in 19th Century...I had seen him perform the first time in my life......

The CBC Radio Host (his name escapes me) hosted the show briefly and he also recalled the first opportunity to meet the Legendary Robert Plant....he said people were asking

him to let's go and meet Robert Plant, but he was too busy falling in love with a woman, (this would happen back then, sign of times, I guess, many of my colleagues recall being at the Festival back then with similar memorie)s!!! ........

.......at Encore, Robert/all, left the stage Robert saying "see you in 2070", but to a very heavy long standing ovation, they came out and performed few more songs.....

.......D. Scott, Buddy Miller, P. Griffin all had spotlight each, and Robert Plant disappeared into the back each time, with Tea Cup in his hand, I was thinking the obvious, (I wish they would have performed that then);

........IMHO There is no doubt that Robert Plant is a Leo, very "Center of Stage-Spotlight" kind of performer. He is proud of himself/his accomplishments, and it shows in his performances. He knows how to "develop" chemistry with just about every artist in the world...Music, this is a job for Robert Plant, he should be doing this, this is what it is all about, "he has got it.."

...I will post some photos, etc. later...I just have to get to this...

...........The caravan hasn't reached its' destination yet.........

PPage......

***not edited for typing".....

Thank you, PlanetPage! I was very anxious to read your review. :) I think this current tour must have been somehow blessed because I've met several women who finally had an opportunity to see Robert live on this tour - women who had waited a lifetime (30, 40 years) before they had the opportunity - but somehow, this time, it all came together. I am very happy for you, very happy for all of them.

Love your quote, reminds me of one of my favorite sayings (it would be appropriate here too, I think):

"The Dogs Bark,

The Caravan Passes."

Hi:

Thanks for videos on the Ottawa show..and other Canadian dates

Edited by Juliet

Another clip from Montreal, sorry about audio, the mike was getting overloaded, no way to turn it down.

Fantastic performance all around.

Robert received the Montreal Jazz Festival Sprit Award - here is a link to an article/interview with some quotes worth a read:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/entertainment/This+moment+Robert+Plant+says+accepting+Montreal+jazz+fest+award/5006751/story.html

Please Read the Letter

Edited by surfinsam

June 25

Atlantic City, New Jersey, Borgata

Ramble On

Harm's Swift Way

And We Bid You Goodnight

Edited by Silver Rider

Robert Plant & The Band of Joy - Ottawa, ON June 23, 2011

201106Ottawa.jpg

Posted one day ago

Robert Plant and his band of Joy opened up the Ottawa Jazzfest brining with him rootsy blues/jazz/southern rock/bluegrass and a healthy dose of storm clouds that threatened the crowd all night finally crashing down on us during the encore which probably resulted in the short set of 16 songs which was a little dissapointing.

The dude near me constantly yelling for Led Zeppelin tunes surely left dissapointed, but for the rest of us who are aware that Robert Plant has changed and is exploring new things had a more enjoyable experience. They did indeed play some Zeppelin, but they were re-worked into traditional sounding bluegrass songs, still recognizable as Zeppelin songs, yet sounding completely different. The main thing I came away with at this show is that Plant may be the front man, but he is a star amongst many others in his band. Plant made sure to pass the mic over to them as often as possible, letting lead guitarist Buddy Miller sing a song which was awesome, as well as Patty Griffin whose vocals blew everyone away on Ocean of Tears. Darrel Scott who played a number of different instruments throughout the night including Mandolin took the mic for a country style cover of Satisfied Mind. Plant would go from fronting the band and being the total front man we expect and then he would slip into the background adding back-up vocals and harmonica parts. The show had a lot of highs and a few lows, a few songs sucked the energy out of the crowd, but overall I was very happy with the show despite the constant threat of rain and some scary looking clouds that finally broke. It's all about the band though and they're all top musicians, definitely worth checking out.

Toronto natives Bahamas opened with a very cool set. I had seen the singer open for Wilco last year and this time around he had a drummer and two really talented versatile back-up singers.

Black Dog (Led Zeppelin song)

Down to the Sea

Angel Dance (Los Lobos cover)

What Is and What Should Never Be (Led Zeppelin song)

House of Cards (Richard & Linda Thompson cover)

Somewhere Trouble Don't Go (Buddy Miller cover) (vocals: Buddy Miller)

Monkey (Low cover)

A Satisfied Mind (Porter Wagoner cover) (Vocals: Darrell Scott)

Satan Your Kingdom Must Come Down (Uncle Tupelo cover)

Ocean of Tears (Patty Griffin cover) (Vocals: Patty Griffin)

Black Country Woman (Led Zeppelin song)

In the Mood

Please Read the Letter (Jimmy Page & Robert Plant cover)

Misty Mountain Hop (Led Zeppelin song)

Encore: Gallows Pole

http://mog.com/In_Hiding/blog/3176047

Edited by SteveAJones

Review: Zeppelin becomes jazz in Plant's hands

201106004BrunoSchlumbergerTheOttawaCitizen.jpg

(Bruno Schlumberer, The Ottawa Citizen)

By Lynn Saxberg, The Ottawa Citizen June 24, 2011

OTTAWA - Rock legend Robert Plant thrilled a capacity crowd on opening night of the Ottawa International Jazz Festival by reworking the old Led Zeppelin nuggets with a touch of twang, a twist of world music and his still-captivating vocal arrangements. Sure, there were plenty of other songs on the setlist, too, but it was the Zeppelin fare that most delighted the 11,000 fans packed into Confederation Park.

Performing with his Band of Joy, which includes Nashville singer Patty Griffin and guitarist Buddy Miller, the 62-year-old singer took liberties with classic material like Black Dog, What is and What Should Never Be, Black Country Woman, Misty Mountain Hop and the show-closer, Gallows Pole. However, he never strayed so far from the original that he was in any danger of alienating his faithful fans, who had been waiting six years for Plant's return to the nation's capital. His last visit, a 2005 arena show, focused on the Mighty Rearranger album.

On Thursday, Black Dog was the starting point, redefined with subtly groovy guitar from Miller, followed by a gem from Plant's solo catalogue, circa 1993, casting an expansive world-music scope over Down To The Sea. A majestic cover of the Los Lobos song, Angel Dance, rocked under the gathering storm clouds, although the rain held off until the last half of the show.

"Hey Ottawa," Plant said when he greeted the audience with a dimpled smile. "It's jazz time." A bit later, he declared his love for bluegrass festivals, as if making the point that he could fit into either genre. Considering the musicianship of his band members, it wasn't that much of a stretch: they were capable of anything.

Still limber, in a dark shirt with long curly blond hair past his shoulders, Plant spoke of his love of learning music, and how much he had soaked up from his current band members. It was clear they worked well together, each bringing something special to the mix. Miller seemed to ground Plant's soaring vocals with his earthy tone, while Plant pushed Miller, gently elevating the Nashville veteran's low-key approach. To round things out, Griffin's powerful voice provided a gorgeous counterpart to Plant's supple pipes.

Toronto singer-songwriter Afie Jurvanen, the creative force behind the musical project called Bahamas, had the honour of opening for Plant, accompanied by his usual drummer, Rob Drake, and two female vocalists. Although somewhat shy by nature, Jurvanen warmed up when he realized that not everyone was yacking through his performance — at least some folks in the audience were paying attention to his unhurried, electric-guitar driven songs. "Nice claps, Ottawa," he remarked. "This is going good so far."

It was true. With thunder and lightning overhead, but no rain, the resonant sound of Jurvanen's guitar seemed to respond to the unsettled weather as sang his songs of love and longing. His plaintive voice was enhanced by the lush, gospel-like backing of the singers, but he also showed a sense of mischief in being unable to resist throwing a snippet of Zeppelin into the mix. Most of the set focused on the mellow songs of his fine 2009 album, Pink Strat, including Already Yours and Hockey Teeth, and at least one new song, Okay, Alright, I'm Alive.

Photo Gallery: http://www.ottawacit...l#ixzz1R7umsP2l

Edited by SteveAJones

MSG, Further to your lovely quote about Robert Plant, here are (finally) few glimpses of Robert Plant's ever moving caravan, that stopped in Winnipeg once upon a time...

IMG_9689.jpg

IMG_9365-1.jpg

IMG_9359.jpg

WNPG Free Press Review June 22, 2011

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/rock-icon-still-deserves-a-whole-lotta-love-124337339.html

Edited by PlanetPage