Robert Plant Band of Joy Tour 2011

SteveAJones

Interesting in that Plant hinted that BOJ was a perm fixture for him. I know a lot of ppl here sure thought so! But this is quite typical actually, he seems to get bored with things eventually and wants to move on lol

Either way I wonder what Mr Plant has up his sleave next?

What he said was that he wanted to call every band that he was in from now on "The Band Of Joy" - to reflect the joy that he has in music and his continuing ability to participate in it. So he never promised us the same lineup. Though, Robert being Robert, a new name wouldn't shock me either.

Slightly different

It would have to be extremely slight considering that Patty Griffin and Buddy Miller are both on for performing at Hardly Strictly themselves and Marco has been doing the drums for Patty off and on for a while now. It wouldn't be surprising to see Darrell playing there either and Byron has been along for several of the shows for Buddy. Also, if you look at the Tight But Loose site, what Robert said was this was the end for "this phase" of the Band of Joy. The other article makes it out like its all over, but that is completely contradictory to everything that has been said by Mr. Plant in recent months.

It would have to be extremely slight considering that Patty Griffin and Buddy Miller are both on for performing at Hardly Strictly themselves and Marco has been doing the drums for Patty off and on for a while now. It wouldn't be surprising to see Darrell playing there either and Byron has been along for several of the shows for Buddy. Also, if you look at the Tight But Loose site, what Robert said was this was the end for "this phase" of the Band of Joy. The other article makes it out like its all over, but that is completely contradictory to everything that has been said by Mr. Plant in recent months.

That's all well and good but, no offence intended, since Walter was with the band on Sunday I think he knows what he's talking about without consulting "Tight But Loose".

That's all well and good but, no offence intended, since Walter was with the band on Sunday I think he knows what he's talking about without consulting "Tight But Loose".

I wasn't saying that he didn't know what he was talking about, and I apologize if that is how it came out. I was just saying that it wouldn't be all that difficult for all the players to be together in October since a majority of them will be there for Hardly Strictly Bluegrass anyway. As far as the Tight But Loose comment, I was meaning that since Robert said "this phase" it was reasonable to believe that future phases of the band would crop up from time to time...which is in line with previous comments that he has made.

For example:

Ed Vulliamy by Guardian.co.uk

However intense the partnership on tour, says Plant, "all these people will move on into other areas when we finish in August. We'll turn another page and then – inshallah – we'll collide again". Plant's idea of "settling down" is more likely to involve an invitation for someone to "come to the sea"– with all the menace that implies – than renting a cottage in the Isle of Wight. And it is hard to imagine Plant's faithful marriage to, and retirement with, any "last band". But when asked if he does intend to reconvene Band of Joy in some form, at some time, he replies: "Oh yes."

The Showman Must Go On

Tell you something, last few shows were wonderful.

From what I've seen and heard, they certainly saved the best for last. Hopefully a nice sounding full set will surface soon, if one hasn't already. I certainly hope RP can carry this energy right into his next project cause his woice was sounding great.

How is it possible that no vidoes have surfaced from The Big Chill!?! I know that they were on the last day and a lot of people went home earlier but there were still a lot of people there,and where there are people, there are camera phones. I'm not even asking for amazing video (not that I would turn that down) but just something captured. It was the last date on the tour and I can't believe that we're still waiting to see if anything is going to post.

How is it possible that no vidoes have surfaced from The Big Chill!?! I know that they were on the last day and a lot of people went home earlier but there were still a lot of people there,and where there are people, there are camera phones. I'm not even asking for amazing video (not that I would turn that down) but just something captured. It was the last date on the tour and I can't believe that we're still waiting to see if anything is going to post.

There are a few videos posted just none of Robert and BOJ yet :o

• 2 weeks later...

Not exactly Band of Joy related but deals with three of the members so I figured I would post it anyway :)

This past weekend, Buddy and Patty along with Emmylou Harris and Shawn Colvin were performing at Blackberry Farm for a benefit supporting the ARK foundation of Emmylou's (helps animals). The official photographer from the benefit took pictures of the group on both Friday and Saturday, but Saturday there was an additional guest having pictures taken with the rest. So, for anyone interested, Robert spent his 63rd birthday in Tennessee at the number one resort in the US. I don't know if he performed with them or not, but sounds like a pretty good birthday to me :)

:birthday:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey don't jump the gun!

Do you still consider 2 days away to be jumping the gun ?

Patty Plant , Patty Plant

Sitting in a tree...

well, you know the rest!!! ewwww. Plant's got the Kavorka!!

No shows at ACL So we'll see what it, I mean they sound like come Marfa.

I'm told its public knowledge now - well, it made the Liz Jones gossip pages anyway. Have at it Nech! ;)

Had no idea she was subbed! : ) Mr Plant...always reinventing himself. Gotta make time to watch the Blue Note...just in time for it to already need an adendum.

My friends and I have talked privately about this "news" for several months as it's been common knowledge in the Austin area for awhile. My friends and family (as well as others) have seen the pair in many local places. Celebs of all sorts are not rare down here and most people in the area respect the privacy of musicians and other celebrities and tend to leave them unmolested when they're out and about and engaged in their private, day-to-day business. I haven't seen him this summer but in past years I have seen Robert (and other musicians) offstage in Austin (ambling down the street, eating in a restaurant, sitting in a club) but I would never approach him or any other celeb in those private situations. My husband and I live close enough to Marfa that we are able to attend at least one night of El Cosmico each year - and we'll be there on Thursday. Marfa is a fantastic town, located near some of our favorite places in the state.

Archived