Robert Plant Band of Joy Tour 2011

SteveAJones

Sorry but I really didn't enjoy that version either.

i've tried to say nothing negative ( if you can't say something nice, don't say anything ..." ), but jeeeeez robert, what are you thinking? i can't imagine jimmy or jonesy would like the versions of zep songs that robert has been doing lately with alison and band of joy either ( not that that matters i guess! ). i really think he should stay away from them if he is going to play them like this. i can't stand them. sorry, just my opinion. SORRY!

Sorry but I really didn't enjoy that version either.

Look I love Zeppelin. I Like all the members solo work with the acception of Raising Sand. However I've grown very weary of Robert continuing to say he can't do a Zeppelin thing, but yet continues to play, sing and re-do songs that were perfect the first time. Ya Ya I get they're his songs but that doesn't mean they sound good. Black Dog & Misty Mountain Hop, really ...he needs to do this. If he is so adamant about moving forward , so he says, why then does he keep looking back. Play new songs then you wouldn't hear people being "negative" as someone had posted earlier. I thought the Allison Krauss/ Plant version of Black Dog was bad but this takes the cake. Yet this is the same man who won't sing Sairway, because he thinks its "pompus, can't get his head around it lyrically". Or "I was a young man when I wrote those lyrics" This just in you we're a young man when most of those songs were written. Robert is going to do what Robert wants, but its his current behavior I think is pompus. I liked the Band Of Joy disc, didn't do Zep covers there, I appreciated the songs he choose to cover. He however, did do Zep songs live with BOJ at each show. Would Robert be where he is today if he had not been in Zeppelin? Have some respect for your fans and the music they love. I know opinions are like assholes everyone has one. But come.....

:soapbox:

Look I love Zeppelin. I Like all the members solo work with the acception of Raising Sand. However I've grown very weary of Robert continuing to say he can't do a Zeppelin thing, but yet continues to play, sing and re-do songs that were perfect the first time. Ya Ya I get they're his songs but that doesn't mean they sound good. Black Dog & Misty Mountain Hop, really ...he needs to do this. If he is so adamant about moving forward , so he says, why then does he keep looking back. Play new songs then you wouldn't hear people being "negative" as someone had posted earlier. I thought the Allison Krauss/ Plant version of Black Dog was bad but this takes the cake. Yet this is the same man who won't sing Stairway, because he thinks its "pompus, can't get his head around it lyrically". Or "I was a young man when I wrote those lyrics" This just in you we're a young man when most of those songs were written. Robert is going to do what Robert wants, but its his current behavior I think is pompus. I liked the Band Of Joy disc, didn't do Zep covers there, I appreciated the songs he choose to cover. He however, did do Zep songs live with BOJ at each show. Would Robert be where he is today if he had not been in Zeppelin? Have some respect for your fans and the music they love. I know opinions are like assholes everyone has one. But come on.....

:soapbox:

I'm referring to the video clips of Crown Vic.

This signed in my face book account yikes. Its me Zoso1960

This signed in my face book account yikes. Its me Zoso1960

haha, i thought it was a pretty heavy first post! lol

he does seem to contradict himself a bit by doing the zep songs, doesn't he.

i also definately get that they are his songs to do whatever he pleases, and who the heck are we to say to not do them .... i get that. but imho he would be better off not doing the zep songs at all if they sound like this. i can't listen to more than a few seconds of them. but i also get that i am probably in the minority!

haha, i thought it was a pretty heavy first post! lol

he does seem to contradict himself a bit by doing the zep songs, doesn't he.

i also definately get that they are his songs to do whatever he pleases, and who the heck are we to say to not do them .... i get that. but imho he would be better off not doing the zep songs at all if they sound like this. i can't listen to more than a few seconds of them. but i also get that i am probably in the minority!

Yes he does and minority or not its frustrating. I'm with you, there are more of us but I think most choose not to say anything. Just because its Robert Plant doesn't mean he is un-falable; I just really think people would stand up and cheer if he passed gas and recorded it. I know it sounds like I don't like him which is far, far from the truth, I love the guy, just not some of his choices. :blahblah:

I happen to love what he's doing with these songs now. Just as I love what he did with them originally. And I appreciate that many people don't like it. I think what frustrates me is not that people don't like it (everyone can't like everything), but that after stating that you don't and the reason why (or no reason - that's totally valid), you have to go on and say he shouldn't do it because "you" don't like it. He likes it. A vast number of other people like it. If you don't like it, don't listen to it. But please don't say he shouldn't be doing it.

I happen to love what he's doing with these songs now. Just as I love what he did with them originally. And I appreciate that many people don't like it. I think what frustrates me is not that people don't like it (everyone can't like everything), but that after stating that you don't and the reason why (or no reason - that's totally valid), you have to go on and say he shouldn't do it because "you" don't like it. He likes it. A vast number of other people like it. If you don't like it, don't listen to it. But please don't say he shouldn't be doing it.

Like I said before he can and will do whatever he wants.

sorry if i offended you, ebk. i didn't mean to.

i didn't really mean that he shouldn't do the songs as in it's wrong or anything, i just wish he didn't as i can't stand to listen to them. and you are right, i should just not listen, and i usually don't, but now and again i listen to his latest just to see if i like it any better.

does that make sense?

sorry if i offended you, ebk. i didn't mean to.

i didn't really mean that he shouldn't do the songs as in it's wrong or anything, i just wish he didn't as i can't stand to listen to them. and you are right, i should just not listen, and i usually don't, but now and again i listen to his latest just to see if i like it any better.

does that make sense?

Makes perfect sense my dear. No offense taken at all here! I appreciate that we can have a civil conversation about this :):beer: To each his or her own!!

Everyone is entitled to think what they want about these revamped versions of zep songs, but I don't like it when it just turns to Robert bashing. I just hope it doesn't this time. No problem with constructive criticism as it's a good thing.

i've tried to say nothing negative ( if you can't say something nice, don't say anything ..." ), but jeeeeez robert, what are you thinking? i can't imagine jimmy or jonesy would like the versions of zep songs that robert has been doing lately with alison and band of joy either ( not that that matters i guess! ). i really think he should stay away from them if he is going to play them like this. i can't stand them. sorry, just my opinion. SORRY!

On the topic of John Paul Jones, this genre of music is right up his alley as well. Witness his work with Uncle Earl, the Mutual Admiration Society (which included mandolinist Chris Thile of Nickel Creek), Sara Watkins (also of Nickel Creek), Gillian Welch and the Duhks. Figure in Page's (as well as Led Zeppelin as a whole's) appreciation of roots music and I think you'll have a pretty grasp of what they think of this type of music. One third of Zeppelin's music was acoustic based, Plant's forays into Americana are a natural progression from it.

As for the tired old complaint that Plant does Zeppelin tunes yet doesn't want to take part in a Zeppelin reunion. He's doing them here in a style that he finds fitting, not the rock n' roll bombast of how they might sound if a reunited Zep were to perform them. Then again, much of Unledded included rearrangements of Zep material so there's no telling what direction Zep 2011 would take them.

I think what was said before, and is the general consensus in other places of interest, is the perception or notion that Plant is using "Led Zeppelin" to sell his new self or band instead of just letting the incarnation ride on it's own merit. I myself just find the habit to be just a bit mundane already. I mean at least pick a totally new, more challenging number...something from left field like say Zydeco Carouselambra ?!

Thanks Deb for posting those videos of Robert w/ Crown Vic. I'm loving the Zydeco Blues Country sound. I just want to know when Robert is going to sneak back into Cajun country for a surprise visit. I'm sure Charley G's and McGee's Landing would love having him again!!!!!!! Hey Robert come on down and 'pass a good time'.

Just so we're clear I don't want to go about "bashing" Robert. Like I said before I love the guy. Robert marches to his own drummer; I just don't always like the beat. I however did like the cover of the Elvis number. The Band of Joy disc is wondefrul. Robert tends to want it both ways and often contradictes himself. I apologize if I offended anyone wasn't my intent. :unsure:

Just so we're clear I don't want to go about "bashing" Robert. Like I said before I love the guy. Robert marches to his own drummer; I just don't always like the beat. I however did like the cover of the Elvis number. The Band of Joy disc is wondefrul. Robert tends to want it both ways and often contradictes himself. I apologize if I offended anyone wasn't my intent. :unsure:

Not offended in the least.

On the topic of John Paul Jones, this genre of music is right up his alley as well. Witness his work with Uncle Earl, the Mutual Admiration Society (which included mandolinist Chris Thile of Nickel Creek), Sara Watkins (also of Nickel Creek), Gillian Welch and the Duhks. Figure in Page's (as well as Led Zeppelin as a whole's) appreciation of roots music and I think you'll have a pretty grasp of what they think of this type of music. One third of Zeppelin's music was acoustic based, Plant's forays into Americana are a natural progression from it.

As for the tired old complaint that Plant does Zeppelin tunes yet doesn't want to take part in a Zeppelin reunion. He's doing them here in a style that he finds fitting, not the rock n' roll bombast of how they might sound if a reunited Zep were to perform them. Then again, much of Unledded included rearrangements of Zep material so there's no telling what direction Zep 2011 would take them.

that wasn't what i was talking about when i said i didn't imagine jimmy or jonesy would like the versions of zep songs robert was doing. i wasn't talking about the genre of songs, but THE actual zep songs being played/sung that way. i know i don't care for these boj and alison versions, but hey, maybe jp and jpj love them!

and the contradiction ( is it really? i dunno, but it seems to be sometimes ), is how he says that zeppelin is from his past, and that he wants to move on, which is totally understandable of course, yet he still plays the zep songs. i think he probably does that to please the fans, which is nice too. :)

as far as the unledded treatment of the zep songs, i thought that worked brilliantly. i love all the versions of zep songs that i have heard plant/page do. why do i like these and not the boj/alison ones? i dunno, but i do. :)

Makes perfect sense my dear. No offense taken at all here! I appreciate that we can have a civil conversation about this :):beer: To each his or her own!!

thanks mate!

and i want to make it clear also that i am not a robert basher or hater. i love robert as much as any zep fan! :)

that wasn't what i was talking about when i said i didn't imagine jimmy or jonesy would like the versions of zep songs robert was doing.

The bigger question is, what does it matter what Page or Jones think of the rearrangements?

and the contradiction ( is it really? i dunno, but it seems to be sometimes ), is how he says that zeppelin is from his past, and that he wants to move on, which is totally understandable of course, yet he still plays the zep songs. i think he probably does that to please the fans, which is nice too. :)

I have no idea what his motivation is behind performing rearranged versions of Zeppelin songs but I seriously doubt he does it just to please those that attend his concerts just to hear some Zeppelin.

The bigger question is, what does it matter what Page or Jones think of the rearrangements?

if you had read my posts properly, you would know that i already said that .... :slapface:

I have no idea what his motivation is behind performing rearranged versions of Zeppelin songs but I seriously doubt he does it just to please those that attend his concerts just to hear some Zeppelin.

no? not the whole reason, but i do think he considers what the fans pay to come and hear. i would say that the vast majority of a robert plant audience know him from zeppelin and have followed him throughout his career.

note to jahfin : i did say vast majority, not ALL. :)

that wasn't what i was talking about when i said i didn't imagine jimmy or jonesy would like the versions of zep songs robert was doing. i wasn't talking about the genre of songs, but THE actual zep songs being played/sung that way. i know i don't care for these boj and alison versions, but hey, maybe jp and jpj love them!

as far as the unledded treatment of the zep songs, i thought that worked brilliantly. i love all the versions of zep songs that i have heard plant/page do. why do i like these and not the boj/alison ones? i dunno, but i do. :)

Because Jimmy isn't playing on them!? ;)

I happen to like the fact that he tries to play and think outside the square.

Sure it'd be an easy out by forming a band and playing the Zep stuff "heavier" as most people would prefer but he has consistently said he isn't that "guy" anymore.

The fact that he wrote the lyrics and dare I say, some of the melodies (on acoustic guitar) that he is entitled to arrange and perform them any way he sees fit.

It amazes that some people like the P & P Unledded re-arrangements yet baulk at Robert's.

I wonder if the same criticisms would surface if Jimmy were to produce albums in a similar fashion?

Because Jimmy isn't playing on them!? ;)

I happen to like the fact that he tries to play and think outside the square.

Sure it'd be an easy out by forming a band and playing the Zep stuff "heavier" as most people would prefer but he has consistently said he isn't that "guy" anymore.

The fact that he wrote the lyrics and dare I say, some of the melodies (on acoustic guitar) that he is entitled to arrange and perform them any way he sees fit.

It amazes that some people like the P & P Unledded re-arrangements yet baulk at Robert's.

I wonder if the same criticisms would surface if Jimmy were to produce albums in a similar fashion?

i already said that of course he is entitled to perform his own songs however he wants to.

again, why do i like the page/plant stuff and not roberts? again, i dunno. because jimmy isn't playing on them? maybe, but not just because it's jimmy, it's the whole feel of the page/plant versions.

and to your last question ..... a big YES from me. i just plain don't like the style of the boj and alison versions.

i'm actually dying to hear what ( if any! ) new stuff jimmy puts out. i hope i am not as disapointed as i was with roberts last two offerings.

sorry reggie, that's just how i feel. and ( again ) i am NOT a robert basher/hater, just not a fan of the style he is into atm.

We could go on and on about this, the fact is that some of us don't like his current arrangements of certain Zeppelin songs. Now Gallows Pole would fit nicely, as well as in number of of songs from Led III, my distatste of disecting Black Dog and Misty Mountain Hop is that its been done to death, Zydeco really???? Ironically I would love to hear what he would do with Stairway in a different musical context, but OH NO, Robert hates the song, if you read the article in the recent TBL #30, he admits the musical arrangement is great but its the lyrics we're ....as I quoted above. I agree with slave to zep, perhaps it because Jimmy isn't doing them; however I still don't think I would love this rendition if Jimmy was on guitar, don't know, I would love to have his take on all of this. I think this forum is great for these types of debates, its okay that some people like these versions; music is such a personal thing. Its also okay if others don't.

:peace:

I think the fact that Plant doesn't use songs from his solo career (which at this time is almost 3 times as long as Zeppelins), says a hell of a lot.

Can't say I blame him, though, I'm sure I'd be doing the same if I were in his shoes. Its timeless music that easily crosses all boundaries.

You can take the Plant out of Zeppelin, but you can't take the Zeppelin out of Plant (does this make sense?

Oh well, it sounds good anyways).

I think the fact that Plant doesn't use songs from his solo career (which at this time is almost 3 times as long as Zeppelins), says a hell of a lot.

If "In the Mood" and "Tall Cool One" aren't songs from Plant's solo career, I'm not sure what they are. Of course, he is also going to perform his more recent work in concert. It wouldn't make sense to do otherwise, unless you're an artist who gets by entirely on nostalgia.

If "In the Mood" and "Tall Cool One" aren't songs from Plant's solo career, I'm not sure what they are. Of course, he is also going to perform his more recent work in concert. It wouldn't make sense to do otherwise, unless you're an artist who gets by entirely on nostalgia.

He was also pulling in songs like "Another Tribe," "Shine It All Around" and "Let the Four Winds Blow" and I believe those all to be from his solo career...

Archived