What's the first live concert you attended?

Hi neighbor, :wave:

Hey, what are the odds of being at the same shows? Pretty Neat-o. Which one did we both attend? Was it the Zeppelin show in 77?

And I went to some GREAT concerts at the Lakeland Civic Center. The two I can remember most are Yes and Heart. Were you at either of those? Lakeland Center was great for shows. Much better than Tampa Stadium or Curtis Hixon Hall for acoustics and seating too.

...............:) missy

Yes, the Zeppelin Rain-out.

Too many Lakeland Civic Center shows to recall!

Let's see...

One of my favorites was Styx / UFO Grand Illusion show.

Rolling Stones '78

The Cars

Many more, but my old memory is struggling right about now.

Cheers for Mid/Central Florida memories! :drinks:

Told before on a previous board but hey I actually do remember the first! It was Herman's Hermits with the Who opening.

I was front row center, a present from my sister. Summer of my sixth grade 67ish. I got Moonies drum stick he threw. Still have that, it cracked on him and he tossed it. I quickly grabbed that sucker as it was right by my foot. I had never seen such dazzling hip shakin' from young Roger, singing great early stuff...fav was "Pictures of Lily" and "I Can See For Miles." They did indeed tear up everything and Moonie picked up his kit and dumped it off the riser, while Townsend was hitting his guit hard into his amp. Wow! And I was actually going for Herman. I swiftly yet quietly chucked that Herman crap for Hard Rock.

Shortly followed were CCR, Spirit, The Doors, Iron Butterfly...good stuff for a young brain.

The Doors

Nice! Lucky lady!!

My first concert was nothing too spectacular, like I have been reading. It was Foreigner/Bryan Adams on the Foreigner "4" tour @ the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, NY (April '81). Bryan Adams hadn't been out very long and was booed off the stage. Foreigner was good and I wore my shirt proudly to school the next day.

Back to the GREAT 1st concerts.... ;)

Told before on a previous board but hey I actually do remember the first! It was Herman's Hermits with the Who opening.

I was front row center, a present from my sister. Summer of my sixth grade 67ish. I got Moonies drum stick he threw. Still have that, it cracked on him and he tossed it. I quickly grabbed that sucker as it was right by my foot. I had never seen such dazzling hip shakin' from young Roger, singing great early stuff...fav was "Pictures of Lily" and "I Can See For Miles." They did indeed tear up everything and Moonie picked up his kit and dumped it off the riser, while Townsend was hitting his guit hard into his amp. Wow! And I was actually going for Herman. I swiftly yet quietly chucked that Herman crap for Hard Rock.

Shortly followed were CCR, Spirit, The Doors, Iron Butterfly...good stuff for a young brain.

Wow i want to have your babies :)

Seeing as how Hotplant shined her age around...I figure I'll pipe in too.

My first show was (and I'm not even embarrased) David Gates and Bread....followed the next week by Blood Sweat and Tears and then CCR! ....Hotplant I actually have Kieth Moon's cymbal stand and drum stick from sitting 2nd row. My second fav concert experience right behind the mighty HAMMER!

:lol: We were lucky to see The Who when they were still destroying everything! Cheers :toast:

^ And yes The Doors...awesome, Morrison was drunk as a skunk with a bottle of Jack he was swigging out of and at one point just sat down on the drum riser drinking and ignoring everyone. They did deliver though.

:lol: We were lucky to see The Who when they were still destroying everything! Cheers :toast:

^ And yes The Doors...awesome, Morrison was drunk as a skunk with a bottle of Jack he was swigging out of and at one point just sat down on the drum riser drinking and ignoring everyone. They did deliver though.

The 2 bands I would give most anything to have seen were Zeppelin and the Doors; it's great to hear the stories :)

I'm sure there's already been a thread on this topic, but I couldn't find it, so I apologise if I'm repeating a thread.

What's the first live concert that you attended?

The first rock concert I went to alone (with friends, not adults) was LZ at MSG, Sept. 3, 1971.

..... The Doors......

Jim (and Jimi) - my Holy Grail. ;)

If this counts as a concert, It was at the Louisiana State Fair I was 3 and we saw Conway Twitty. He picked me up and kissed me on the cheek and my Mom beamed for days!! :-)

And this was my first on my own- 11 years old with some friends.

The Who Concert at The Warehouse, New Orleans, LA, USA 11/29/71

I came accross this and for me it holds so many great memories:-)

New Orleans Warehouse Remembered 1820 Tchoupitoulas

Though Jeff Beck was the first concert I bought a ticket and went to, I remember a couple of strange free ones I was lucky to just walk in on One night at RIT college (Rochester Institute of Technology) we walked into an unannounced show. And it was Dicky Betts! I went to antoher college outdoor show and it was the Ozark Mountain Daredevils. Anyone remember them? I have been to over a hundred concerts in my life. The top ones of course being Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Rolling Stones and Eagles and Allman Bros. The most disappointing was having Pink Floyd tickets and not being able to get there.

• 1 year later...

I went to antoher college outdoor show and it was the Ozark Mountain Daredevils. Anyone remember them?

Yes, I do. I was never all that fond of "Jackie Blue" but I do like a whole bunch of their other stuff such as "If You Wanna Get To Heaven (You've Got To Raise A Little Hell)". Several years back that song took on a totally new life when it was used in the opening sequence for the documentary on Jesco White called Dancing Outlaw which originally aired on West Virginia public television. It soon went on to become a cult classic and more recently spawned the full length feature film The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia.

http://youtu.be/y0h3a7MmMss

^^^You mean that show is real? Someone...maybe you...posted a clip over on the Make Me Laugh thread and I thought it was a spoof or one of those homemade YouTube shows that are all the rage. Note to self: Stay out of West Virginia.

So I take this thread bump as a subtle way of telling me my First Concert thread over at Ramble On is a duplicate. Fair enough.

But, to be honest and in fairness to others who probably encounter the same problem, the search function on this site is quirky to say the least. I've had to reword my searches several times before I find the desired result.

When I started that Your First Concert thread, I searched for a first concert thread using those words and I didn't see a thread listed in the first couple of pages of results. It was already 3 in the morning and I was in a post-St. Paddy's day haze and getting tired, so I wasn't about to scroll thru the rest of the results.

Just the other day, it happened again. I had wanted to write about a King Crimson show, so I searched for a King Crimson thread. I typed in the words "King Crimson". I had to scroll through 5 pages of threads before I found the "King Crimson" thread...that should have been the first result on the first page.

On a whim, I typed in the words "starless and bible black" in the search function. Whaddya know, the King Crimson thread showed up on the first page. There has to be a way to fine-tune the search function to make it more efficient.

I know I've been a bit of a thread-police sometimes, and now that I know it's possible people did use the search function before starting their duplicate thread, I apologize.

Since this is a democracy(with the mods as benevolent dictators :) ), I'll leave it to all of you which thread you want to use for your first concert memories.

Peace.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

First international touring band - Queen, 1976 Hordern Pavillion, Sydney (age 17)

Prior to that, a number of Australian 70's rock bands at various all-ages events, including AC/DC immediately pre- then just post-Bon Scott joining, Stevie Wright, who had been the singer for the Easybeats and Buster Brown, some members of which moved on to Rose Tattoo. Others probably only Aussies of that era would know: Skyhooks, Hush, Madderlake, Capt Matchbox...

• 4 years later...

Pink Floyd Nassau Coliseum, June 16,  1975.  I was 15.   In February of that year my older brother and his friends saw Zeppelin at Madison Square Garden - my parents would not allow me to go.  The stories they told when they got back !   Then a good friend's older brother was driving into the City for Floyd after school was done for the year.  Such anticipation.  Years later when I got the tape I realized that the first song was an early version of the then unreleased Sheep.  And what a version!  (Finally got to see Zeppelin two years later June 11, 1977).  This Floyd show was definitely a mind bender.

Aerosmith, Foghat, Ted Nugent, & the Outlaws @ Pontiac Metropolitan Stadium....May 8th, 1976.  The same night, Paul McCartney & Wings were playing at Olympia.

I have better memories of "Green Grass & High Tides" as opposed to anything Aerosmith did that night.

Archived