Egypt is about to dump Mubarak

Rock N' Rollin' Man

http://af.reuters.com/article/egyptNews/idAFLDE70U2JC20110131

CAIRO Jan 31 (Reuters) - The army said on Monday it would not use force against Egyptians staging protests demanding President Hosni Mubarak step down, a statement said.

It said "freedom of expression" was guaranteed to all citizens using peaceful means.

It was the first such explicit confirmation by the army that it would not fire at demonstrators who have taken to the streets of Egypt since last week to try to force Mubarak to quit.

"The presence of the army in the streets is for your sake and to ensure your safety and wellbeing. The armed forces will not resort to use of force against our great people," the army statement said.

"Your armed forces, who are aware of the legitimacy of your demands and are keen to assume their responsibility in protecting the nation and the citizens, affirms that freedom of expression through peaceful means is guaranteed to everybody."

It urged people not resort to acts of sabotage that violate security and destroy public and private property. It warned that it would not allow outlaws and to loot, attack and "terrorise citizens". (Writing by Samia Nakhoul, Editing by Alison Williams)

I can't imagine, although we were stationed in West Germany in the late 70's. There were several terrorist attacks then, and an airplane highjacked in the summer of '77. As a 10 yr old, I was taken to and from school under armed guard.

My thoughts and prayers are with first and always my fellow Americans.

I know a person who was there when it happened, so I will never forget. But, the main head of state then, Nixon, was impeached and removed from power. And even if such a bill were to pass, it could be repealed. But today in Egypt they lack those avenues.

Nixon was never impeached and removed from power.

He resigned.

Impeachment was looming, but did not occur, and thus he was not "removed from power."

Let's put it another way......if those lads of the National Guard who opened fire to kill had been blacks, they would have been fried already...get what I mean??!:):)

1544131_7cc4.jpg

Jeez, dude, you are all over the fuckin' map.

Nixon was never impeached and removed from power.

He resigned.

Impeachment was looming, but did not occur, and thus he was not "removed from power."

You're right. He resigned in the wake of three articles of impeachment approved 21-17 by the House Judiciary Committee on Tuesday, July 30, 1974.

You probably would have seen a different response, given the element of racism in society. But racism does not seem to be a primary element in Egypt's conflict today, where it appears to be more of a problem with the way power is concentrated in one individual's dictatorship, except maybe for the racism experienced by African migrants and especially if it is poverty-related. Dissatisfaction flowing from poverty seems to be the main catalyst for the civil unrest in Egypt today.

Poverty, raecism, biased social relations, etc. go hand in hand it seems :)

Honesty prevents me from saying this is the most asinine response I have ever read in a discussion here.

But it's easily in the top 3.

Maybe if you increase the font size even more...

"practically can be interpreted as"?

That's the problem with interpretations - people choose them.

Where's your revulsion with Ahmadinejad's publicly stated wish to wipe Israel off the face of the earth?

No "interpretation" necessary there.

That's pretty specific with little to interpret.

Why don't you find THAT "revolting"?

Indeed, I DO find that statement REVOLTING 2:):):):)

You know what they say ....The grass is always greener and be careful what you wish for. This reminds me of a few other historical uprisings by the young never satisfied youth.

Remember 1979? That was when the young Iranians wanted that American loving Shah of Iran booted. How'd that work out? Now, many kids of those '79 protesters hate the very regime their parents fought to put in charge. (as a bounus we now have an Iran close to being a Nuke power )

Oh, how about in the year 1998 (or about there), the Taliban went into Afhghanistan and set up shop to overthrow the corrupt government and shut those poppy fields down. TIME magazine was singing their praises back then. Of course now we know they took all women out of schools, banned ALL music, and allowed terrorist training camps.

The news today said the young Egyptians are unhappy about the 9.5 unemployment rate and hyper-inflation. Welcome to the Global Community. No freedom? They had internet access, tweet, as far as I know they can travel ----unlike say the people of Cuba. And what about the fact that Egypt (and Mubarak) is one of the few Middle East countries to recognize Israel's right to exist? Not to mention they have been a U.S. ally for years.

I don't know about the human rights violations there.** Maybe someone could update me. I read years ago Mubarak doesn't take sh*t from anyone. He made a parking lot (literally) of a small town that was suspected of harboring terrorists. I can't recall the collateral damage, but the terrorists didn't ever go back to Egypt. But now....who knows with the region being so unstable.

So to reiterate, I'm sorry the young folks can't find work, but be careful what you wish for. Flying the banner of freedom tends to get a very emotional response from people. That doesn't mean the protesters have the same agenda you and I do, or that the end result wil be anything resembling true freedom.

**Speaking of Human Right Abuses,--what about the record of China? We know what that government will do if you speak up there. And the internet, oh please. Remember the Tiananmen Square Massacre. :( Guess China is just too darn important economically to the world for the world to send in back-up to those poor protesters.

I hope I don't ruffle any feathers speaking up, this is all just how I see it at this moment in time. I may very well change my mind with new information...........missy

Very well written and expressed Missy! Thank you for speaking up! Your post truly opened my eyes! :goodpost: This is (by far) my favourite post in this thread because it is full of facts and logic!

Thanks again! B)

So to reiterate, I'm sorry the young folks can't find work, but be careful what you wish for. Flying the banner of freedom tends to get a very emotional response from people. That doesn't mean the protesters have the same agenda you and I do, or that the end result wil be anything resembling true freedom.

Well put, hope the light at the end of the tunnel isn't a train..

Archived