Studio Mess-Ups

Can we list 'em all?

Dazed And Confused - 4:40 Jimmy has a squeal on his guitar or amp. Not sure if this is intentional.

The Ocean - haha 1:37-1:41, telephone ringing. 1:59, someone makes a hard "c" or "k" sound. 4:11, Jimmy hits his G string. *

In My Time Of Dying - 7:42-7:43, Jimmy misses the last D note.

Trampled Underfoot - 3:07-3:10, Jonsey on this one; an extra clavinet note is played after the first riff after the solo.

Anymore that I'm missing? Or doubt that some of these belong?

*Special thanks to this thread for the last 2 on The Ocean

Can we list 'em all?

Dazed And Confused - 4:40 Jimmy has a squeal on his guitar or amp. Not sure if this is intentional.

The Ocean - haha 1:37-1:41, telephone ringing. 1:59, someone makes a hard "c" or "k" sound. 4:11, Jimmy hits his G string. *

Trampled Underfoot - 3:07-3:10, Jonsey on this one; an extra clavinet note is played after the first riff after the solo.

Doesn't really matter that there are mistakes, its those little things that give the music a real feel about it, warts and all....I hated when they brought out remastered CD's out in the 1990's on "Bring it on Home" when they switch from the opening blues section to the zep/page riffathon middle section they cut out (or ironed) the sound of the switch/click on the guitar as he switches pickup. It ruined the whole song fro me, My record had that noise and for me what made the song, that anticipation, so yeh they may screw up but good on em..there human.

so...they're not gods after all? ;)

:) never thought they were, never gone for that hero worship stuff, just think there the greatest musical act to walk the planet thats all, its the human touch that makes it,, to many musicians are spot on technically, but alot lack any musciality, which Zep had coming out in abundance.

But I like your thought though <_<

Can we list 'em all?

I don't think the Dazed and Confused one you reference is a mess up. It's Jimmy playing "pinch hamonics" on the string for effect. (If it's what I think you are referencing)

Jimmy often said he made mistakes during solo.

I have problems to hear this till today. There must be something wrong with my ears.

Who gives a f....?

And to break the line even furtheron.

The first feedbacks and distortions being produced by a guitar were so called mistakes.

You know how we think about this mistakes today.

Zep was open in every direction not only into the one "Free Jazz".

So maybe someone in here can tell me how to judge what a mistake is.

Hmmm...well, the "mess up" which comes to mind is in the song "In My Time Of Dying" where Bonham can then be heard exclaiming, "That's gonna be the one, isn't it?", referring to that particular take. This is followed by a different voice (likely that of recording engineer Andy Johns) saying through the talk-back microphone "Come have a listen, then." Bonham then releases the clutch of his hi-hat and says (rather sheepishly) "Oh, yes. Thank you".

I guess this can be considered as a "mess up" then? At least, I feel so! :lol:

But I don't care really because it is these errors which gives a very real feeling to the music (as someone very rightly pointed out) :)

And yes, I am indeed aware that there is a similar thread, thank you, but I couldn't be bothered responding to that (eventhough, the link has been provided! :P)

Hmmm...well, the "mess up" which comes to mind is in the song "In My Time Of Dying" where Bonham can then be heard exclaiming, "That's gonna be the one, isn't it?", referring to that particular take. This is followed by a different voice (likely that of recording engineer Andy Johns) saying through the talk-back microphone "Come have a listen, then." Bonham then releases the clutch of his hi-hat and says (rather sheepishly) "Oh, yes. Thank you".

I guess this can be considered as a "mess up" then? At least, I feel so! :lol:

But I don't care really because it is these errors which gives a very real feeling to the music (as someone very rightly pointed out) :)

And yes, I am indeed aware that there is a similar thread, thank you, but I couldn't be bothered responding to that (eventhough, the link has been provided! :P)

I love the end of that song, I always wait in anticipation for the 'cough' and studio chatter! B)

When I listen to 'Babe I'm Gonna Leave You', the first time Robert sings the line 'I can hear it callin' me', it sounds like someone else in the background shouts the line just before Robert sings it. It almost sounds like Robert needs to be reminded what the line is, although it would seem from the other thread on this topic that isn't the case. :huh:

st after the 1:23 mark in the track, someone in the recording studio is heard saying "stop". It is widely believed that it was Page who said it, although this has never been confirmed. As the song has unique rhythm and syncopation, it is assumed that whoever yelled "stop" was trying to act as a verbal conductor. Before that, at about 0:11 in the song, someone (again possibly Page) says "All right".

When I listen to 'Babe I'm Gonna Leave You', the first time Robert sings the line 'I can hear it callin' me', it sounds like someone else in the background shouts the line just before Robert sings it. It almost sounds like Robert needs to be reminded what the line is, although it would seem from the other thread on this topic that isn't the case. :huh:

Yes! That's another "mess up" I'm very curious about too! I too keep hearing that voice shouting in the background, whenever I listen to "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You"! I do wonder what's the story behind that! I'm very very curious! :huh:

Yes! That's another "mess up" I'm very curious about too! I too keep hearing that voice shouting in the background, whenever I listen to "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You"! I do wonder what's the story behind that! I'm very very curious! :huh:

Yes this is very blatant in the song, I thought it was put in on purpouse

Archived