ALICE COOPER Is Baffled By PLANT's Unwillingness To Take Part In ZEPPELIN Reunion

Of course it will never be the same, but I still don't understand why Zep can't be something else. Something new.

If I'm not mistaken, Plant has said that he has had writers block for quite some time. His lack of original music over the past decade is an obvious result.

Unless his block has cleared up he coudn't do something "new" with Zep, or anyone else even if he wanted to.

If I'm not mistaken, Plant has said that he has had writers block for quite some time. His lack of original music over the past decade is an obvious result.

Unless his block has cleared up he coudn't do something "new" with Zep, or anyone else even if he wanted to.

Former Led Zeppelin singer to lead band away from cover versions and begin working on own songs

exactly. but not with Jimmy Page or John Paul Jones.

See below:

You don't have to yell.

That's not "yelling", THIS IS.

I spent the evening committing what is a capital sin on these forums according the Rollingstone reviewer-minded posters such as Jahfin : imagining what it would be like if Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones were up on stage with Jason Bonham.

I have no idea what you're talking about and I have a feeling you don't either but I will say this, I would love to see Plant, Page, Jones and Jason Bonham play together again as much as the next person but Plant's heart obviously isn't in it. The planets aligned once and it brought us many great years of outstanding music from the original Led Zeppelin. The chances of that ever happening again with Jason Bonham are slim to none. For one thing, it can't be an exercise in nostalgia, there would have to be new music written. You think there's bitching now, just imagine the response when the new material was compared to that of the original band. When it comes to composing new material that would be another case of lightning having to strike twice again too. Lots of bands have reunited over the years but how many have lived up to the legend of their original incarnations? Very, very few. What would make a reunited Led Zeppelin any different? If it's meant to be it'll happen. No amount of whining on this board is ever going to change that, it's solely up to Plant, Page, Jones and Jason Bonham. I went to see Plant the other night and the show rocked. The cries of "we love YOU Robert Plant" that came from the crowd following "We Bid You Goodnight" sent shivers up my spine. It was moving for so many people just to to take part in the concert and be along for the musical journey Plant presently finds himself on. That doesn't mean the naysayers have to be along for the ride. I've liked most everything all of the surviving members of Zeppelin have done throughout the years and the Band of Joy is no different, it's all part of what made Led Zeppelin so intriguing to start with.

You think there's bitching now, just imagine the response when the new material was compared to that of the original band. When it comes to composing new material that would be another case of lightning having to strike twice again too. Lots of bands have reunited over the years but how many have lived up to the legend of their original incarnations? Very, very few. What would make a reunited Led Zeppelin any different?

Was every successive album a case of lightening striking? On the Led Zeppelin DVD or maybe it was the TSRTS, Robert says something about an album being about where the band is at the time. So that's what a new album would be. There's no need to go back to anything. I think if you put those 4 musicians together to make music there's certainly going to be something interesting. How do you measure success of that effort? That's up to each individual. The musicians should only measure it based on their satisfaction with their work, much in the way Robert seems enjoy what he is doing right now.

The general public might hate it but who cares. The general public isn't on these boards right now. The people checking here now are mostly loyal fans that care the most.

If it's meant to be it'll happen. No amount of whining on this board is ever going to change that, it's solely up to Plant, Page, Jones and Jason Bonham. I went to see Plant the other night and the show rocked. The cries of "we love YOU Robert Plant" that came from the crowd following "We Bid You Goodnight" sent shivers up my spine. It was moving for so many people just to to take part in the concert and be along for the musical journey Plant presently finds himself on. That doesn't mean the naysayers have to be along for the ride. I've liked most everything all of the surviving members of Zeppelin have done throughout the years and the Band of Joy is no different, it's all part of what made Led Zeppelin so intriguing to start with.

I certainly don't wish for Robert to fail in his current Band of Joy effort. Quality is quality no matter what genre you like. I like some hard rock songs and I like some folk songs. You just have to know what to listen for. Robert Plant knows how to make quality because he took part in Led Zeppelin, one of the most quality collaborative musical works ever.

I do hope there is some sort of change of heart. Hard to say what it would take at this point in his life.

If anything, I would thank Robert for Them Crooked Vultures. No way that happens if Led Zeppelin playing and composing together.

Some of you sound like children begging and pleading for your divorced parents to reunite because you're tired of being shuttled between two homes. While it would be nice if they did, you know it wouldn't be the same and their hearts wouldn't be in it. They wouldn't be doing it for themselves, and if they're not doing it because they want to, it won't feel right.

The same can be said of Led Zeppelin, or whatever is left of it, getting back together. It's done, it's over, and while you may not like it, you have to eventually make peace with it. Every single person here would love it if the four them held a press conference and said they were doing an album, or another show, or something like that.....but it's not going to happen. JPJ, Jimmy, Robert, and Jason are all doing other things and they shouldn't have to drop those other things just because some people can't move on. It's like expecting an ex-boyfriend/girlfriend who is getting married to break their engagement and get back with you, because you're still single and you miss them. It doesn't work that way.

I may not agree with him stirring a pot that really doesn't need stirring but having seen him in concert last year I'd say he's very far from "washed up".

Saw him in 75 my first concert and many times after that! He or his band were never impressive live(other than 1975)! Saw him open for Heaven and Hell a few years back in NYC and he (Alice Cooper)was god awful!

He has not had a meaningful recording in decades! He can't sing for shit! Robert is having great success without Led Zeppelin and a lot of people just can't handle it! I would go see RP anytime over Alice! Maybe if Alice Cooper was still relevant instead of beating a dead horse year after year, he would have some credibility on the subject of what others are doing! He should concentrate on his own floundering career and forget about what others are doing!

Some of you sound like children begging and pleading for your divorced parents to reunite because you're tired of being shuttled between two homes. While it would be nice if they did, you know it wouldn't be the same and their hearts wouldn't be in it. They wouldn't be doing it for themselves, and if they're not doing it because they want to, it won't feel right.

The same can be said of Led Zeppelin, or whatever is left of it, getting back together. It's done, it's over, and while you may not like it, you have to eventually make peace with it. Every single person here would love it if the four them held a press conference and said they were doing an album, or another show, or something like that.....but it's not going to happen. JPJ, Jimmy, Robert, and Jason are all doing other things and they shouldn't have to drop those other things just because some people can't move on. It's like expecting an ex-boyfriend/girlfriend who is getting married to break their engagement and get back with you, because you're still single and you miss them. It doesn't work that way.

To your second point...if they wanted to do it they would find time...much like any relationship!

But as you mentioned in your first point...they don't want to do it. But that's sugar coating it as more specifically Robert doesn't want to do it.

If I was working with either of the 4, I would actually expect them to stop working with me in the event that the planets aligned or however you crazy kids are characterizing what amounts to be Robert Plant's willingness to participate in a major Zeppelin endeavor. I'd be waiting for that every day and making the most of my time with them.

Saw him in 75 my first concert and many times after that! He or his band were never impressive live(other than 1975)! Saw him open for Heaven and Hell a few years back in NYC and he (Alice Cooper)was god awful!

He has not had a meaningful recording in decades! He can't sing for shit! Robert is having great success without Led Zeppelin and a lot of people just can't handle it! I would go see RP anytime over Alice! Maybe if Alice Cooper was still relevant instead of beating a dead horse year after year, he would have some credibility on the subject of what others are doing! He should concentrate on his own floundering career and forget about what others are doing!

It may not be to your liking but I suggest checking out Alice's Theatre of Death DVD or CD. It's clear cut evidence of a performer at the very top of their game. Having actually seen one of the shows from that tour myself, I can say without revocation that he and his band are the very definition of "kick-ass". It will be interesting to see him perform with what's left of the original Alice Cooper band when he's inducted into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame later this year. They play together once a year (and apparently have for a while) but as a long time fan, I'm looking forward to the performance as well as the promise of the tour to follow. I'm sure it will be good (maybe even great) but it will certainly be very hard to top the heights of the Theatre of Death tour.

Was every successive album a case of lightening striking? On the Led Zeppelin DVD or maybe it was the TSRTS, Robert says something about an album being about where the band is at the time. So that's what a new album would be. There's no need to go back to anything. I think if you put those 4 musicians together to make music there's certainly going to be something interesting. How do you measure success of that effort? That's up to each individual. The musicians should only measure it based on their satisfaction with their work, much in the way Robert seems enjoy what he is doing right now.

What made those albums so great was the presence of the four individuals that made them and the unmistakable chemistry that existed between them. With Jason Bonham you'd have only a close approximation of that chemistry. While it might be good or even great, it would never come close to or even surpass the chemistry that existed with John Bonham. Just take a look at all of the bands that have tried to soldier on without key founding members. With very few exceptions, most of them are nostalgia acts. Some, like Lynyrd Skynyrd even continue to record and perform new material. Guess when people take their bathroom breaks during those concerts? When Skynyrd breaks out the new songs. Why? Because they only came to hear the hits. You think Plant, Page, Jones and Jason Bonham really want to subject themselves to that? Like I said, I'd love to see them tour and record new material as much as the next person but the likelihood of it meeting people's expectations has a snowball's chance in hell.

What made those albums so great was the presence of the four individuals that made them and the unmistakable chemistry that existed between them. With Jason Bonham you'd have only a close approximation of that chemistry. While it might be good or even great, it would never come close to or even surpass the chemistry that existed with John Bonham. Just take a look at all of the bands that have tried to soldier on without key founding members. With very few exceptions, most of them are nostalgia acts. Some, like Lynyrd Skynyrd even continue to record and perform new material. Guess when people take their bathroom breaks during those concerts? When Skynyrd breaks out the new songs. Why? Because they only came to hear the hits. You think Plant, Page, Jones and Jason Bonham really want to subject themselves to that? Like I said, I'd love to see them tour and record new material as much as the next person but the likelihood of it meeting people's expectations has a snowball's chance in hell.

Not if the new songs are good!

I'm sure if they start singing "Hey Hey Mama, said they way you move does your hip pop out when you dance to the groove?" yeah that might alienate some fans.

Of course at a show with tens of thousands of people...I'm sure a few of them are going to go to the bathroom at some point. At such a show though, the people who won't leave will be in the front and that's all the band can really see anyways

It would be interesting if we could see what percentage of new songs are played on a tour following the release of a new album.

That wouldn't be too hard to do actually...I guess we don't have all the set lists but we have all the show dates and album release dates.

I have no idea what you're talking about and I have a feeling you don't either but I will say this, I would love to see Plant, Page, Jones and Jason Bonham play together again as much as the next person but Plant's heart obviously isn't in it. The planets aligned once and it brought us many great years of outstanding music from the original Led Zeppelin. The chances of that ever happening again with Jason Bonham are slim to none. For one thing, it can't be an exercise in nostalgia, there would have to be new music written. You think there's bitching now, just imagine the response when the new material was compared to that of the original band. When it comes to composing new material that would be another case of lightning having to strike twice again too. Lots of bands have reunited over the years but how many have lived up to the legend of their original incarnations? Very, very few. What would make a reunited Led Zeppelin any different? If it's meant to be it'll happen. No amount of whining on this board is ever going to change that, it's solely up to Plant, Page, Jones and Jason Bonham. I went to see Plant the other night and the show rocked. The cries of "we love YOU Robert Plant" that came from the crowd following "We Bid You Goodnight" sent shivers up my spine. It was moving for so many people just to to take part in the concert and be along for the musical journey Plant presently finds himself on. That doesn't mean the naysayers have to be along for the ride. I've liked most everything all of the surviving members of Zeppelin have done throughout the years and the Band of Joy is no different, it's all part of what made Led Zeppelin so intriguing to start with.

Thank you, I loved your reply and agree with it, even the part where I might not know what I'm talking about. In all reality, I'm only 30.

You'll have to elaborate because I don't know what you're directing these comments at.

What I was referring to was his habit of mentioniong that people would go to the bathroom during certain songs. One specific example is during the Walking into Clarksdale tour. He said some of the new Page/Plant songs had a curious effect on the bladder of certain members of the audience, meaning they weren't appreciating the new material.

When I saw him with Strange Sensation he said, after Freedom Fries 'Thanks for the overwhelming reaction (being sarcastic). No, no, it's all right, I know what it feels like. I've been to a Leonard Cohen concert when I was young'.

I am not sure, but I think I read somewhere that he made similar comments about the 2007 gig, at which many undeserving people (I know, who the hell am I, but the spirit of it will bear witness to the facts pertinent) were present.

And to drive the 'establishment' mad, it's cool to want Robert Plant to embark upon a musical endeavour with James Patrick Page, John Baldwin and Jason Bonham. It is also a human right that all humans have to express the opinion that he is making a monumental mistake by not doing so. Carpe diem.

Perhaps he wants to stay out of a rut. He's already done Led Zeppelin. He'll do Zeppelin as long as it's fresh n' hot off the griddle, but the rest of the time he let's it go.

Robert Plant at the Dodge Theatre on 7/20

By Sarah Ventre

blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com

I didn't see the same show as the author but the show on 2/2/2011 was great. I didn't see this 'old' thing Sarah Ventre was talking about.

It must be my own personal bias regarding quality music.

I didn't see the same show as the author but the show on 2/2/2011 was great. I didn't see this 'old' thing Sarah Ventre was talking about.

It must be my own personal bias regarding quality music.

Who knows? Deborah Sprague, writing for Variety probably said it better.

By opening with a molasses-thick, almost unrecognizably twangy version of "Black Dog," Plant acknowledged the ghosts of Zeppelin past and transmuted them into a vital, living spirit. He sprinkled aud favorites judiciously through the set, a suitably heady "Houses of the Holy" here, a steadily rumbling "Ramble On" there. But to his credit, he refrained from milking every drop of nostalgia from those tunes.

I can understand Plant's disinterest in touring as Led Zeppelin. The kind of swagger (or whatever you want to call that stage presence) that Plant carried in the 70's simply doesn't suit the man's taste these days - and taste is certainly something he's in keen possession of, as "Band of Joy" so exquisitely demonstrates.

But that's no reason for Page, Jones & Bonham to throw in the towel. A reformed Led Zeppelin does not necessarily have to be an "oldies" act, nor do they necessarily have to call themselves Led Zeppelin. Billing themselves as "Page, Bonham & Jones", they could reinvent the Zeppelin legacy in a number of interesting

ways. Many (including myself) will agree that anyone other than Plant singing LZ songs is nothing more than a tribute act. So, who says they have to try to fill Plant's shoes with another singer ? Why not, instead, add an innovative keyboardist with strong improvisational skills along with prog-psych melodic sensibilities, creating a four-piece space-rock ensemble capable of reinterpreting the Zeppelin paradigm as an instrumental experiment, effectively launching the Mothership from another planet ? The rock world has long suffered a shortage of top-quality bands capable of pioneering new territory. The musicians involved already have the credentials -- they just need a key instrumentalist who is creative and melodic enough to carry the exploration of variations on familiar themes into uncharted space.

Just my two cents.

I will agree with you on one point -- if Jimmy, JPJ, and Jason want to do something together, nothing is stopping them. I mean, if they really want to do it, they should do it whether Robert wants to be a part of it or not. The longer they DON'T do anything, the more it adds fuel to the "Robert is a big old doody-head holding everyone else up" parade, which frankly, needs to cease. If they truly don't want to do anything without Robert, then just say so.

Let it fucking die, if it's dying.

• 2 weeks later...

I can understand Plant's disinterest in touring as Led Zeppelin. The kind of swagger (or whatever you want to call that stage presence) that Plant carried in the 70's simply doesn't suit the man's taste these days - and taste is certainly something he's in keen possession of, as "Band of Joy" so exquisitely demonstrates.

But that's no reason for Page, Jones & Bonham to throw in the towel. A reformed Led Zeppelin does not necessarily have to be an "oldies" act, nor do they necessarily have to call themselves Led Zeppelin. Billing themselves as "Page, Bonham & Jones", they could reinvent the Zeppelin legacy in a number of interesting

ways. Many (including myself) will agree that anyone other than Plant singing LZ songs is nothing more than a tribute act. So, who says they have to try to fill Plant's shoes with another singer ? Why not, instead, add an innovative keyboardist with strong improvisational skills along with prog-psych melodic sensibilities, creating a four-piece space-rock ensemble capable of reinterpreting the Zeppelin paradigm as an instrumental experiment, effectively launching the Mothership from another planet ? The rock world has long suffered a shortage of top-quality bands capable of pioneering new territory. The musicians involved already have the credentials -- they just need a key instrumentalist who is creative and melodic enough to carry the exploration of variations on familiar themes into uncharted space.

Just my two cents.

You're right, there's nothing stopping the three from doing this. Adding another musician would really work for me too. Page/Jones/Son of Bonham can all seriously play so why not bring in somebody else musically to give the music a new angle and focus?

The massive amounts of money to be made just wouldn't be there if they did this, that's why.

Archived