Day on the Green DVD where's Zeppelin?

boogie woogie

I just learned today that Wolfgang's vault released a Day on the Green DVD in 2010 featuring Peter Frampton and Lynyrd Skynyrd. As you can imagine the footage is incredible. So it seems possible that Zeppelin were professionally filmed as well as the other bands that played during this series of concerts in 1977 right?

I think the line-up included:

Day On The Green #1: Fleetwood Mac, The Doobie Brothers, Gary Wright, Steve Gibbons Band (May 7, 1977).

Day On The Green #2 & 3: Eagles, Steve Miller Band, Heart, Atlanta Rhythm Section, Foreigner (May 28 & 30, 1977).

Day On The Green #4 & 5: Peter Frampton, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Santana, Outlaws (July 2 & 4, 1977).

Day On The Green #6 & 7: Led Zeppelin, Derringer, Judas Priest (July 23 & 24 1977)

So why wasn't zeppelin and the other bands included? we're they just not filmed?

Is it for legal reasons?

For zeppelin given the tales of backstage brawls maybe it's all to tragic for this footage to ever see the light of day commercially. But maybe on the bootleg circuit?

Any thoughts or insight?

We know how Jimmy is perfection an' all that heres probably the reason why:

"I was there freezing my ass off . Judas Preist got booed off stage . John Bonnam got in a fist fight back stage with a security guard . they came out and said they had equipment problems . but later in rolling stone it said zep was going to leave and not play , so we had to wait till Bill Grahm came across the bay to talk to them , they played but you could tell they where not in to it "

There is this Rare recording of the same day I've always savoured..

We know how Jimmy is perfection an' all that heres probably the reason why:

"I was there freezing my ass off . Judas Preist got booed off stage . John Bonnam got in a fist fight back stage with a security guard . they came out and said they had equipment problems . but later in rolling stone it said zep was going to leave and not play , so we had to wait till Bill Grahm came across the bay to talk to them , they played but you could tell they where not in to it "

There is this Rare recording of the same day I've always savoured..

thanks for the YouTube link. Point well taken, but since Zeppelin played for two days if it was filmed I think there would be enough quality material for release or at least an inclusion in a compilation. I would trust Page's judgment though. the bakcstage brawl sounds like enough of a reason not to release any of the material but maybe the brawl wasn't as bad as it sounds? If it exists let it go straight to bootleg and trading.

As you know zeppelin played on a different day than Peter Frampton and Lynyrd Skynyrd. The day Peter Frampton and Lynyrd Skynryd played Santana and the Outlaws were also on the bill but the DVD release did not include Santana or the Outlaws. That doesn't make sense to me. So now I wonder did they really professionally film any of the complete Days on the Green shows from that year. I definitely got a thrill at the prospect. Could be close but no cigar?

So why wasn't zeppelin and the other bands included? we're they just not filmed?

Any thoughts or insight?

I've collected dozens if not hundreds of photographs from Led Zeppelin's two Oakland '77 performances and not a single one of them show any professional camera crews operating on or around the stage, let alone those working for Bill Graham who had filmed Frampton, Lynyrd Skynrd, etc. earlier that month.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkF_l5A6DPs

Thanks, I never knew anything about this DVD until just now. I remember reading about Graham's San Francisco office going up in flames at the hands of an arsonist back in '85 so anything that's left is a real treasure. That said, $75 for the DVD is a bit steep, especially just for 5 songs (2 from Skynyrd, 3 from Frampton albiet "Freebird" clocks in at just over 12 minutes and "Do You Feel Like We Do" goes on for nearly 25).

I remember reading about Graham's San Francisco office going up in flames at the hands of an arsonist back in '85 so anything that's left is a real treasure.

San Francisco Gate

May 7, 1985: A fire that officials said was arson gutted the San Francisco warehouse offices of Bill Graham yesterday, causing more than $1 million in damage and destroying an irreplaceable music archive. Two glass bottles containing a liquid believed to be gasoline were found on the Howard Street sidewalk adjacent to the building, said fire Capt. Richard Crispen. Crispen said no motive or suspects have been established. Investigators, however, are looking into the possibility that the fire may have been set by someone angry about a recent Graham-organized protest of President Ronald Reagan's visit to a German military cemetery. Graham also took out full-page ads to protest the visit. Although officials put the damage at $1 million, dazed employees of Graham's production company said the true loss cannot be calculated. "When most offices burn, you might lose some desks, some papers. This office was a museum," said Gregg Perloff, vice president of Bill Graham Presents. The collection included gold and platinum records awarded to Eddie Money and Santana, whom Graham managed.

Bill Graham's Rock Music Lore Destroyed in Fire

May 8, 1985 | Associated Press

SAN FRANCISCO

A $1-million fire at the offices of rock impresario Bill Graham on Tuesday destroyed music memorabilia collected over 15 years. Authorities said the blaze may be linked to Graham's organized protest of President Reagan's visit to the Bitburg cemetery.

There were no injuries in the fire, which burned through the one-story offices at 3:30 a.m., charring dozens of gold records, posters and other rock 'n' roll memorabilia.

Fire Chief Emmet Condon estimated the damage at $500,000 to the building and $500,000 to the contents.Fire Capt. Richard Crispen called the fire "suspicious" and said officials were investigating links to a Union Square demonstration that Graham organized last week to protest Reagan's visit to a Bitburg cemetery where more than 40 members of Hitler's SS are buried. The rock promoter's mother and sister died in Nazi death camps.

"It may be relevant," Crispen said.

Crispen said a telephone call to the Fire Department at 8:25 a.m. "pertained to the possibility the fire was related to the Bitburg situation."

-------------------------------------

SAJ adds: Keith Richards had presented Bill with the boots he wore onstage every night during the '89-'90 Steel Wheels tour. They were also among the many irreplaceable items destroyed in the fire.

All the Skynyrd stuff is already out there I believe, I've got a dvd called 'Lynyrd Skynyrd - Freebird The Movie' and it has a lot of stuff from Oakland '77 on it, as well as Knebworth 1976. It's great stuff! Picked it up for $9 NZ to boot!

I have seen some pro shot footage of Aerosmith from the Day on the Green 1978. It was from 2 different camera angles. One was across from the stage back aways witha nice zoom lens. The other was from the side of the stage- like behind the monitor cabinets/side fill pa speakers. Hard to see with photos. So since we have never seen pics from the Led Zeppelin show-this scenario could be possible that they were videotaped to. I know Bill Graham allowed alot of his shows to be filmed going back as far as 1969. I have heard rumours of him having the Fillmore East and West shows filmed of Led Zep in 1969.

I have seen some pro shot footage of Aerosmith from the Day on the Green 1978. It was from 2 different camera angles. One was across from the stage back aways witha nice zoom lens. The other was from the side of the stage- like behind the monitor cabinets/side fill pa speakers. Hard to see with photos. So since we have never seen pics from the Led Zeppelin show-this scenario could be possible that they were videotaped to. I know Bill Graham allowed alot of his shows to be filmed going back as far as 1969. I have heard rumours of him having the Fillmore East and West shows filmed of Led Zep in 1969.

My mistake- the footage of Aerosmith is from 1979 but they also did play the Day on the Green in 1978 as well. Here is a link to Aerosmith in Oakland 1979- they are playing Think About It - the yardbirds song they redid for their Night in the Ruts album.

My link

All the Skynyrd stuff is already out there I believe, I've got a dvd called 'Lynyrd Skynyrd - Freebird The Movie' and it has a lot of stuff from Oakland '77 on it, as well as Knebworth 1976. It's great stuff! Picked it up for $9 NZ to boot!

The only footage from Oakland in Freebird The Movie is "Freebird".

Wolfgangs Vault is a pretty Cool site for listening to Concerts . But their asking prices on Memorabilia is just plain silly !

I also have a copy of the Aerosmith show form Oakland ( 79 ? ) . Ive seen Aerosmith 4 times in Concert and they are great , but they were a Total Mess for this show .

Anyways ,,, the Camera work was very good , so if the Led Zep show was filmed in 1977 its quite possible it was done very professionally .

Archived