THANK YOU MIDDLE EAST FOR ?

leddy

What would you thank it for and lets keep it down to the last hundred years or so,shall we?

Ummm, let me think......... :Thinking: ..............making it possible for people like you (with blinders on) to continue hating other people for being different? Dunno, best I can come up with. :slapface:

I'll try nearly any kind of cuisine once. A couple of years ago, a bunch of friends and I were having a pot luck dinner party, and a mutual friend of my then-boyfriend was Egyptian, and brought some traditional Egyptian food. Of course it looked and smelled great, so we all dived in, and it was the first bowl of food to be emptied. :lol:

BTW, Walesdad.....quit embarrassing yourself. If it wasn't for Middle Eastern culture, there's a whole lot of stuff we Westerners use that we wouldn't have. Do yourself a favor and open up a book sometime and read about it. No one is arguing that things are hunky-dory over there right now, and that it's a veritable utopia of bliss and sunshine, but you know something? The same could be said of basically everywhere else on this gottverdamnt rock, and thinking anything else is just ignorant. Being grateful for the contributions made in the past doesn't also mean you ignore the problems of the present.

So,as I've already asked you,what EXACTLY,SPECIFICALLY, are you thanking the middle east for over the last one hundred years or so?

Nothing. Over the last 100 years or so, not much has happened in the Middle East that could be considered a grand contribution. However, that means absolutely nothing. If you'd bothered to read this whole thread, rather than pulling your pants down and taking a shit in it, you'd have read all the contributions that the Middle East HAS made to society, that people are thankful for. I know that would require a level of literacy you clearly don't possess, but work with us here. Just because you hate the people there that don't pray to the same invisible sky wizard that you do, doesn't mean that at no point in man's history has that part of the globe done anything of any value.

BTW, can you tell me what Greece and/or Rome has done for the world in the last 100 years or so? How about the Byzantines, the Persians, the Babylonians, and the Etruscans?

Nothing. Over the last 100 years or so, not much has happened in the Middle East that could be considered a grand contribution. However, that means fuck all to this thread. If you'd bothered to read the whole thread, rather than pulling your pants down and taking a shit in it, you'd have read all the contributions that the Middle East HAS made to society, that people are thankful for.

BTW, can you tell me what Greece or Rome has done for the world in the last 100 years or so? How about the Byzantines, the Persians, the Babylonians, and the Etruscans?

Thanks for your elegantly worded reply.As we seem to agree then,the middle east has contributed not a lot to the last hundred years that is any worth to the world.I feel that what they have contributed over that period negates any alleged benefits they may have given the world before that.

I feel that what they have contributed over that period negates any alleged benefits they may have given the world before that.

Oh really? So then you discount the following:

oil

herbs and spices

the oud

Sheherazade and her One Thousand and One Nights.

Hanging Gardens of Babylon

Omar Khayyam

Salah ad-Din

Astronomy

olives

Hummus

Tahini

fallaffel

pitas

harissa sauce

Jesus

camels

The Holy Land

Babylon

algebra

Science

Astronomy

Medicine

Literature

Art

Music

Architecture

Agriculture

Chemistry

Physics

Philosophy

Ibn Sina/Avicenna

Rumi

Ferdowsi

Al-Kindi

Ibn Tufail

Averroes

Shahnameh

Layla And Majnun

Coffee

Peach

Spinach

Ice cream

Cookies

The pin hole camera

The original recipe for soap

The fountain pen

The concept of a "three course meal"

Carpets

Aladdin

Zero, in particular - as in the number, not a disparaging comment. Numerals in general.

Bellydancing

Calligraphy

Also, answer my question. Tell me what those civilizations from my previous post have given or contributed to the world in the last 100 years. Either do it, or admit you have no leg to stand on, and you're basically an ignorant bigot. We'll all be waiting.

Oh really? So then you discount the following:

oil

herbs and spices

the oud

Sheherazade and her One Thousand and One Nights.

Hanging Gardens of Babylon

Omar Khayyam

Salah ad-Din

Astronomy

olives

Hummus

Tahini

fallaffel

pitas

harissa sauce

Jesus

camels

The Holy Land

Babylon

algebra

Science

Astronomy

Medicine

Literature

Art

Music

Architecture

Agriculture

Chemistry

Physics

Philosophy

Ibn Sina/Avicenna

Rumi

Ferdowsi

Al-Kindi

Ibn Tufail

Averroes

Shahnameh

Layla And Majnun

Coffee

Peach

Spinach

Ice cream

Cookies

The pin hole camera

The original recipe for soap

The fountain pen

The concept of a "three course meal"

Carpets

Aladdin

Zero, in particular - as in the number, not a disparaging comment. Numerals in general.

Bellydancing

Calligraphy

Also, answer my question. Tell me what those civilizations from my previous post have given or contributed to the world in the last 100 years. Either do it, or admit you have no leg to stand on, and you're basically an ignorant bigot. We'll all be waiting.

One hell of a list.It's midnight in the U.K.,gladly reply tomorrow.

I see one or two things in that large list above that might be unique in Egypt's contributions to the world in days WAY PAST, but generally, most all of those things would've either been discovered or invented elsewhere. Plus MANY of those things are absolutely repulsive like Feelawful's, Olives, Hummus, Schameezch, Googlishiki, Omar's, Shararzzee's and the like. Just watch, Egypt will go down like Iran. The rooted Muslim/Islamic culture will predominate and add to the blight that is the Middle East. Worthless !! Someone previously said something about oil. Well it's not the only place to get it. Howard Stern was right, PUSH THE BUTTON ! Then we can close up all the rock quarries here and cut down on the dust.

You can have the WHOLE middle east, all the way from Timbuktu to Turkey !No one else had the guts to admit of the need to "push the button". At least Howard Stern did. Look at how well it worked in Japan, stopped that war ! Only thing is, we didn't finish the job, we've become wimps and let them and other third world countries take over. We're behind the Chinese and should have taken them out a long time ago. Give 'em hell Harry !!!!

Do you want a list of things the West (the US in particular) have done to other regions of the world, or are you one of those folks with blinders and ear plugs?

I am the one who said "Fuck You Middle East" and I do stand by what I say. I see that you reside in Detroit, Michigan, United States of America. Am I correct? If I am (and assuming that you were born in the U.S.A.), why would you want to list the "things the West (the US in particular) have done to other regions of the world" (your quote)? Are not Proud to be an American? Or would you have rather been born and live somewhere in the Middle East? From what you replied, it seems like you would rather be an Arab or Muslim or Al-Qaeda (or whatever) than you would be an American.

I am a student of history (and rock and roll). I have read about some of the "atrocities" that have been committed by the United States of America. However, most of these things you would want to list that the US has done in particular, I bet happened well before you and I were even born.

I will end by saying that I AM A VERY PROUD AND LOYAL AMERICAN. I WOULD DEFEND MYSELF AND MY COUNTRY FROM ANYONE WHO WOULD WANT TO HURT MYSELF AND MY COUNTRY. I realize the U.S.A. has alot of enemies, both foreign and domestic, however, I think the whole region called the Middle East is the biggest threat to the United States of America and to Humanity itself.

God, what a load of shit. Hey, Yankee Doodle -- Admitting the US is a fucked-up country that's done fucked-up things to other countries in the past, does not nor will it ever make that person less of an American. Actually, it makes them a great American, because it means they can admit their country's faults, without acting like because some of them happened before they were born, they then don't exist.

Let me tell you why he'd want to list those atrocities that you so unamusingly put in quotation marks: BECAUSE IT DEMONSTRATES THE UNITED STATES IS NOT SOME UTOPIA, THAT IT HAS DONE HORRIBLE THINGS AND CONTINUES TO DO HORRIBLE THINGS TO PEOPLE IN OTHER COUNTRIES AND THAT IT MAKES US NO BETTER THAN THE PEOPLE SOME OF US CLAIM TO HATE.

So take the American flag out of your ass, wipe the face paint off, and look in the mirror. It's people like you that make people around the world hate us. So good going, genius.

This thread had been going nicely until the ignorant rubes showed up. I guess we just can't have nice things around here.

That list is merely a culling of everything people have contributed to this thread prior to your original post. It shouldn't be "one hell of a list" if you'd bothered to read the thread before you posted.

As I've said,that is a hell of a list of alleged contributions by the middle east to the general betterment of the world.Even if every single one of them were true,I truly couldn't care less.What that region may or may not have achieved in the distant past is a total irrelevance to the vile place it is now.Among it's more modern achievements are the total disregard for democracy that is the hallmark of that part of the world,the export of islamic terrorism to virtually every civilised country in the world,the total subjugation of women and all minority groups,capital punishment by stoneing(now there's progressive for you),death for changing your religous beliefs and the beheading on camera of kidnap victims.And you think any civilised person has anything to thank the middle east for?The very question is pathetic.You've asked me what the Greeks and whoever it was have contributed to culture lately.Maybe not a lot,but on the plus side they do not indulge in any of the above,and that is good enough for me.To bring this to a close,as I have no more to say on this topic,I do not hate anyone that has a different faith to myself,and I do not care about the colour of their skin or nationality either.I care about what people do and how they treat other people.When I see the appalling scenes of celebration when Israeli civilians are killed by Hamas rockets,likewise the aftermath of September 11th 2001,I know who the villians are and I know whose side I'm on.But hey,at least they gave us algebra.

Americans include Arab-Americans.

Casey Kasem, (Kemal Amin Kasem) an American DJ born in Detroit, Michigan, of Lebanese Druze heritage, radio personality and voice of the character Shaggy on the Scooby Doo cartoon on TV, is Arab-American.

Actress/songstress Cher, a United States citizen (born in the United States as Cherilyn Sarkisian), has an Armenian ancestry courtesy of her grandparents.

Salma Hayek, actress, is a naturalized United States citizen born in Mexico. Her father is of Lebanese descent. Her name, Salma, means 'Welcome' in Arabic.

Musician Frank Zappa was born in the United States. His father had Arab ancestry.

And in 1999, Dr.Ahmed H. Zewail, an Egyptian citizen born in Egypt, and a professor of physics at the California Institute of Technology (CIT), won the Nobel prize in Chemistry. As a pioneer of femtochemistry, he has studied chemical reactions across femtoseconds with rapid, ultrashort laser flashes. Even though he is only a resident in the United States, if I ever have any questions about chemistry I know I can ask him and probably get good answers if he's not too busy. He is a respected person acting as an intermediary between the military regime currently in power in Egypt and the various groups who are a part of the current political process.

And thank you, Middle East, for Houston surgeon Dr. Michael DeBakey, 1908-2008, born in Lake Charles, Louisiana as a United States citizen of Arab descent, inventor of the heart pump who served as chancellor of Baylor University’s College of Medicine.

And thank you, Middle East, for Jesus Christ, born in Bethlehem of Judea in what we know today as Palestine.

Well, I don't get this?! it is kinda racist!? :rolleyes:

"Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake." - Napoleon

Apparently in his little world, if you criticize your country or admit that your country has done to things to other countries and other people that it shouldn't have, that means you don't want to be from that country anymore, you'd rather be from somewhere else.

There's too much ignorance on display here. Too, too, too much. I read this garbage and thank my parents for raising me better than this.

Islamophobic maybe, but not racist to deplore that lifestyle/religion or whatever you want to call it. I personally AM discriminating in life, some things I like others I don't. And I for one can't stand that whole collective mindset/lifestyle/religion -- whatever you want to call it and will say so. Surely there's things you'll speak out against too, and you know what?, others may think YOU'RE views are racist/bigoted or whatever when it's just you voicing your opinion. So let others voice theirs too. Oh by the way, I'm Lady Gagaphobic too. Any "artists" you can't stand either ?

I'm not getting into the specifics of this--just pointing out that if you have a phobia against everyone of an entire lifestyle and religion and consider them all to have the same "mindset," despite what must be obvious around you every day in the different kinds of people who identify themselves as Christians in this country despite having radically different "mindsets," then I don't think you've thought about this carefully enough.

God, what a load of shit. Hey, Yankee Doodle -- Admitting the US is a fucked-up country that's done fucked-up things to other countries in the past, does not nor will it ever make that person less of an American. Actually, it makes them a great American, because it means they can admit their country's faults, without acting like because some of them happened before they were born, they then don't exist.

Let me tell you why he'd want to list those atrocities that you so unamusingly put in quotation marks: BECAUSE IT DEMONSTRATES THE UNITED STATES IS NOT SOME UTOPIA, THAT IT HAS DONE HORRIBLE THINGS AND CONTINUES TO DO HORRIBLE THINGS TO PEOPLE IN OTHER COUNTRIES AND THAT IT MAKES US NO BETTER THAN THE PEOPLE SOME OF US CLAIM TO HATE.

So take the American flag out of your ass, wipe the face paint off, and look in the mirror. It's people like you that make people around the world hate us. So good going, genius.

This thread had been going nicely until the ignorant rubes showed up. I guess we just can't have nice things around here.

Thanks, Electrophile. You pretty much said it all for me. I was going to bow out of this thread as it's getting pretty ridiculous, but then I'm insulted by being called un-American. Go figure. I leave it at that and let the animals have the cage. thanks again.

I'm not getting into the specifics of this--just pointing out that if you have a phobia against everyone of an entire lifestyle and religion and consider them all to have the same"mindset", despite what must be obvious around you every day in the different kinds of people who identify themselves as Christians in this country despite having radically different "mindsets",then I don't think you've thought about this carefully enough.

Hell entertains all those who deviate from the sacred benevolence taught through word of God. Those in the middle east are just so much more perverse in their 'headchopping' activities than the christians around me. Beheading is so primitive. At least christians embrace guns. They can kill from a distance and not get all bloody. All this hands on, big knives and aircraft steering wheel stuff is too personal, too close. If the button was pushed, you could watch it all on a video monitor and not have to get messy. Keep your distance, know what I mean ? Civilized. :D

Archived