Bonzo with two kick drums

Was "Good Times Bad times" done in the studio with two bass drums? I find a song as moving as this was not a regular standard number played live in it's entirely in their early concerts.

Bonham didn't have the natural maple kit until the end of January 1969, 3 months after the first album was recorded. I'm not aware that his previous kits had a double bass.

Don't you mean 1972-1979? It was played in the Japan 1972 shows and time to time in Summer 1972 in the Dazed jam, if I remember correctly.

It was actually bits of The Crunge and Walter's Walk that were played during Dazed in 1972 as it is on HTWWW.

Where can I hear some of the beast with each foot on a kick pedal? I want to hear the destruction for myself..

Per the Jimmy Page photo book, Bonzo used two bass drums on Bring It On Home from LZ II and some photos show that he used them for one gig in America. Also, there is the Communications Breakdown video where the band is doing a fake performance of the studio track.

Was "Good Times Bad times" done in the studio with two bass drums? I find a song as moving as this was not a regular standard number played live in it's entirely in their early concerts.

One bass drum. He more than likely recorded the first lp with his Ludwig kit that he used during 1968. The bass drum was 24 inches vs 26 inches that the Maple kit he picked up in early 1969. He used the 26 inch bass drum for the till the last Zeppelin gig. Here is a photo from Jan 1969 which I believe is the kit. The Bonham book by Welsh talks about this Ludwig kit.

1969-01-05Whiskey-A-Go-Go.jpg

They did play The Song Remains The Same in 1972. It wasn't until the October Japan shows though. The song didn't have a title yet. You can hear Robert on one of the bootlegs simply call the song 'Zep.'

He also referred to the song on one of the Japan dates, since it didn't have a title yet as "The Campaign".

Archived