The White Stripes Are No More

The Pagemeister

Yes, but can you imagine tunes like Supernaut without the bassline???? I COULDN'T!!!:):):)

I'm not limited to thinking in such terms, my imagination is much broader. I can listen to a single musician (no matter the instrument) or an orchestra.

....and this is the MOST biased and absurd REPLY i'VE EVER SEEN.....BE SURE ABOUT THAT!!!!:):)

It's called having an opinion.

I saw them in 2005, and even if Jack was having serious problems with his amps that evening, it was a fantastic show. Extremely powerful. The whole minimalism of very simple drumming and no bass player was a very deliberate statement, and in a way what the Stripes were about - scaling it down to where there's practically nothing left but pure Rock & Roll conviction. B)

Exactly.

Sorry, you missed the point:):):)

No, he didn't. Frankly, you don't even have a point. If you still don't get what people have been explaining to you about the Stripes, you might want to have a look at the documentary It Might Get Loud. It's certainly interesting for fans of Jimmy Page, but there's also the other two guitarists, The Edge and Jack White. You really get to witness there how passionate Jack White is about distilling that simple pure essence of the music, which in any case was always quite obvious from their shows. Jimmy Page is actually making pretty much the same point in the scenes from his home where he's playing some music and talking about it. If you didn't see the Stripes live there's also an excellent DVD, Under Blackpool Lights.

You don't have to like them. Of course not. But the only way you can possibly appreciate ANY artist is if you try to understand what they're trying to achieve. Perhaps to you the Stripes didn't succeed in getting straight to the point - and nothing BUT the point, so to speak - isolating the basic "attitude" of Rock & Roll, making it almost visible by stripping away everything that isn't strictly speaking necessary. Perhaps to you it's a failed attempt. A lot of us feel otherwise. But this what they set out to do, and thus the only real ground of judgment.

No, he didn't. Frankly, you don't even have a point. If you still don't get what people have been explaining to you about the Stripes, you might want to have a look at the documentary It Might Get Loud. It's certainly interesting for fans of Jimmy Page, but there's also the other two guitarists, The Edge and Jack White. You really get to witness there how passionate Jack White is about distilling that simple pure essence of the music, which in any case was always quite obvious from their shows. Jimmy Page is actually making pretty much the same point in the scenes from his home where he's playing some music and talking about it. If you didn't see the Stripes live there's also an excellent DVD, Under Blackpool Lights.

You don't have to like them. Of course not. But the only way you can possibly appreciate ANY artist is if you try to understand what they're trying to achieve. Perhaps to you the Stripes didn't succeed in getting straight to the point - and nothing BUT the point, so to speak - isolating the basic "attitude" of Rock & Roll, making it almost visible by stripping away everything that isn't strictly speaking necessary. Perhaps to you it's a failed attempt. A lot of us feel otherwise. But this what they set out to do, and thus the only real ground of judgment.

LIkewise, YOU missed the point too.....I DON'T have to make any point..so don't go all BALLISTIC over that....it's the other posters who won't accept that, in MY opinion, WS are wimpy and Dead WEather are NOT....GOT THE POINT now???! If you DO NOT get the point, DO NOT bother to reply, my BIASED friend...thanx:):)......I',M WAITING!!!!:):):)

LIkewise, YOU missed the point too.....I DON'T have to make any point..so don't go all BALLISTIC over that....it's the other posters who won't accept that, in MY opinion, WS are wimpy and Dead WEather are NOT....GOT THE POINT now???! If you DO NOT get the point, DO NOT bother to reply, my BIASED friend...thanx:):)......I',M WAITING!!!!:):):)

Hang on, hang on - I'm not your friend, after all we only just "met" on here! I'm hardly your enemy either. You've stated a preference for Dead Weather over the White Stripes, I know. I can read. If that had been all you had said here, I wouldn't have said anything to you, because that would have been you simply stating what you like. I don't really care so much who you like. As far as I know, both Aquamarine and Jahfin probably couldn't care less either. Who you like and who you don't is your business.

But you also explained by saying that the Stripes were "wimpy" (an odd description for anyone even vaguely familiar with their music and their live act), and went on about the bass that was NOT part of what they did and tried to do. The whole thing merely sounded like you're a bit clueless as to what they did and ever tried to do.

That's why I said you didn't have a point - you see, the mere fact that you don't like something isn't a basis for discussion, and isn't very interesting in itself, but if you explain and come up with reasons, that's another story. You did just that, only these reasons seemed not to make much sense. So what I did was to try and explain what Jack White has been going on about for years. When I do that, you call me biased. About what exactly? Take it easy. ;)

Hang on, hang on - I'm not your friend, after all we only just "met" on here! I'm hardly your enemy either. You've stated a preference for Dead Weather over the White Stripes, I know. I can read. If that had been all you had said here, I wouldn't have said anything to you, because that would have been you simply stating what you like. I don't really care so much who you like. As far as I know, both Aquamarine and Jahfin probably couldn't care less either. Who you like and who you don't is your business.

But you also explained by saying that the Stripes were "wimpy" (an odd description for anyone even vaguely familiar with their music and their live act), and went on about the bass that was NOT part of what they did and tried to do. The whole thing merely sounded like you're a bit clueless as to what they did and ever tried to do.

That's why I said you didn't have a point - you see, the mere fact that you don't like something isn't a basis for discussion, and isn't very interesting in itself, but if you explain and come up with reasons, that's another story. You did just that, only these reasons seemed not to make much sense. So what I did was to try and explain what Jack White has been going on about for years. When I do that, you call me biased. About what exactly? Take it easy. ;)

With respect to other far underrated bands like The Ropes (just to name one:):)) and DW, WS are VERY wimpy indeed...and that is fact...NOT my opinion:)....or is it fact only what you lot say?!!:):)

With respect to other far underrated bands like The Ropes (just to name one:):)) and DW, WS are VERY wimpy indeed...and that is fact...NOT my opinion:)....or is it fact only what you lot say?!!:):)

I don't think they're at all wimpy. One person's wimpy is someone else's bad@$$. Purely an opinion; not quantifiable.

Everyone always talks about Seven Nation Army...it's not even close to being my favourite WS song. I much prefer Ball & Biscuit, Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground, and Hotel Yorba just to name a few.

Why do I get the feeling that in a few years, Jack and Meg will get the itch to play together again? So, no, I am not quite taking this "White Stripes calling it quits" thing seriously.

But in the interim, I'll bide my time with Dead Weather or whatever the latest project Jack White busies himself with...whatever you might think about him, the man sure knows how to apply himself industriously! Not one, not two, but THREE bands(White Stripes; Raconteurs; Dead Weather) and still had time to resuscitate the careers of two legendary singers: Loretta Lynn and Wanda Jackson.

Plus, build a home studio, start a label, and collaborate with multiple artists and do soundtrack work and appear in the It Might Get loud documentary.

Jimmy Page could learn a thing or two from Mr. White about focusing your energies. I mean, it's been at least since 2003 that Jimmy's been talking about doing a solo record.

If this is really it for the White Stripes, I feel for the kids who got into the band too late to see them live, which was where they truly shined.

I had the good fortune to see the White Stripes many times, starting way back when they played Spaceland in 2000. There are many words you could use to describe their shows...and "wimpy' is not one of them.

Thank-you for the quick history lesson. I haven't kept up on current music scene since the late eighties and didn't know Garage Rock as a genre. I had heard of Seattle Grunge because of a friend who liked Nirvana back in the day.

Actually, "garage rock" has been with us since almost the beginning of rock n roll. Bands like the Sonics and the Seeds were part of the garage rock scene in the 60's. I'm not picking on you...I just didn't want you to get the notion that garage rock was some sort of post-grunge thing.

I've got everything but "White Blood Cells". Do I need to round out my collection?

Yes, trombone, if you like the other White Stripes records, you need to get "White Blood Cells".

"Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground", "Hotel Yorba", "The Same Boy You've Always Known", "We're Going to be Friends", "Fell In Love With A Girl", "Aluminum", and "I Think I Smell A Rat" all make it worthwhile.

Maybe I missed something here but what does Broadcast have to do with the demise of the White Stripes?

The lines in my sig paying tribute to Trish Keenan are from the Broadcast song "Man Is Not A Bird"...you can hear it here:

Archived