Why didn't they invite John Paul Jones for the Page - Plant "Reunion"

I know it's not like that they were in a band together for 12 years, it just seemed fishy in a way that Robert and Jonesy IN THE PAST never got was on the best of terms, then 20 odd years later we see a reunion with Page and Plant only. But I see it in another perspective now.

You can't imply causation where there isn't any.

Hi Nobodys Fault,

Instead of looking at why John Paul Jones wasn't picked to be in the Page/Plant group, perhaps we should look at who was in the band.

Charlie Jones (an excellent bassist in his own right, I'm sure) was/is married to Robert's daughter Carmen.

Maybe the the decision wasn't so much to exclude JPJ from anything as to include a family member.

Just a thought. I have no idea if this is the reason, of course...................:) missy

The fact is that if Jimmy & Robert had told JPJ ahead of time instead of JPJ finding out from a reporter, this whole point would be moot.

P&P disrespected JPJ by doing that. I'm sure JPJ would've understood if only they had approached him about it.

Jimmy must have had some sort of say.

The invitation to perform on MTV's Unplugged was extended to Robert, not Jimmy. Given the opportunity, it was Robert who invited Jimmy to participate in the project. It's been said this was essentially Jimmy joining Robert's band, but I think that's an oversimplification of what was initially a rather delicate balance between the two. Now JPJ is a very formidable musician in his own right and everyone knows once you bring him into the project it basically becomes "Led Zeppelin" as opposed to "Page/Plant". It was discourteous not to inform him, but they're only human.

The invitation to perform on MTV's Unplugged was extended to Robert, not Jimmy. Given the opportunity, it was Robert who invited Jimmy to participate in the project. It's been said this was essentially Jimmy joining Robert's band, but I think that's an oversimplification of what was initially a rather delicate balance between the two. Now JPJ is a very formidable musician in his own right and everyone knows once you bring him into the project it basically becomes "Led Zeppelin" as opposed to "Page/Plant". It was discourteous not to inform him, but they're only human.

This is the reason I've always thought why Jones wasn't included. With him involved most people would have looked at this as a reunion with all of the attendant expectations - Zep-like music, mostly Zep setlist. Without him P/P had the freedom to do something different and not be burdened with the weight of their past.

I don't buy that, not for a second Jimmy is more then keen to bring back Zep and it's been said loads of times Robert has always been distant to JPJ more then anyone else it makes more then enough sense for Plant to get Jones out.

Another bit of proof is at the RRHOF when Jones says "remember my phone number" Plant has a very sly look on his face:

Look at 6:31 onwards.

Epic Burn by JPJ.

At 6:41 Robert Plant turns to Jimmy Page and says something to him that looked like "what'd he say?" Then Jimmy Page responds.

At 6:46 Robert Plant pats his jacket as if trying to find his telephone book.

At 7:14 Robert Plant began by saying, "Eh, before we swap phone numbers..."

Archived