RIP Gary Moore?

Knebby

Confirmation seems thin on the ground..............

Seems true - word from ex- colleagues

Brian Downey: 'I am in total shock. I have known Gary since 1967 when he was in Platform Three and he's been an amazing friend ever since. It was a pleasure to play with Gary again in 2006 after his days with Lizzy. He will always be in my thoughts and prayers and i just can't believe he is gone'

Scott Gorham: 'Playing with Gary during the Black Rose era was a great experience, he was a great player and a great guy. I will miss him.'

What a sad loss. I can't even remember when I first heard him, but it must have been in the early 1980's. I do remember thinking that Still Got the Blues, for which he got such a lot of attention, really sounded too slick for the blues - even if the playing was absolutely fantastic. But he really had a voice of his own, playing that old Les Paul he got from Peter Green - and now silenced. Rest in peace.

I heard this news several hours ago and I am still in a bit of shock (as he died at only 58, in his sleep, in Spain). A tragic loss - he was a great rock and blues guitarist who seemed never to forget his roots, who will be sadly missed by so many of us who grew up with his music and who were so fortunate to have seen him live. I remember he once said in such a sweet, nice way something about the Zep guys having the prettiest girls following them.

RIP and Bless you Gary Moore.

A fantastic guitarist. I remember the last time I saw him play was at the TCT show in 2002 - the one where Robert Plant and Jimmy Page played separately (and Paul Weller too). To me Gary was the stand out musician of the night. I know this is a Led Zep forum and that's why we're all here, but that night Gary was the man. RIP Gary Moore.

I know this is a Led Zep forum and that's why we're all here, but that night Gary was the man. RIP Gary Moore.

Yeah, but you're in the Other Bands / Music section and even if you weren't, it's not disrespectful to heap praise on other musicians, at least not from my viewpoint. I'm quite obviously a Led Zeppelin fan but just because I'm here doesn't mean they're my favorite band. Lots of artists make my musical world go 'round, not just one.

So sad and unexpected....I was listening to a mag editor say "Gary was a very healthy man....."....and only 58, oh Lord:(:(:(...RIP Gary...I will remember you thre best in the LIzzy years...thank you for the joy....

garymoore42445468garymo.jpg

By blackglove at 2011-02-06

He died the same way John Bonham did, from what I've read. That can kill you an any age. RIP.

PLANET ROCK's Tribute To GARY MOORE To Air Today - Feb. 7, 2011

The former THIN LIZZY and solo artist was one of the most influential guitarists of a generation; he also was a presenter and friend to Planet Rock. As a tribute, Planet Rock is re-running a one-hour interview with the guitarist at 6:00 p.m. U.K. time today.

Gary's involvement with Planet Rock began when he exclusively presented the series "Blues Power" in 2007. He was recognized for this show by winning the "gold" award at the prestigious radio awards held at the New York Festival in 2008. He also campaigned to save Planet Rock when the station was under threat of closure and played two exclusive concerts for Planet Rock's listeners.

"We're all shocked at the station," said Planet Rock's program director Trevor White. "He was a close friend and was one of the stars instrumental in keeping the station on the air, when the station was on the brink of closure. His guitar playing was incredible and luckily his musical legacy will live on for future generations, Gary will be sorely missed."

The interview to be aired tonight with Gary Moore was part of the 2006 "My Planet Rocks" series. Gary talks about the music that influenced his career as well as the music he loved. Throughout the day Planet Rock will be playing songs by the guitarist, including live performances from the two exclusive concerts he did for Planet Rock listeners.

Planet Rock broadcasts on digital radio, Sky 0110, Virgin Media 924, Freesat 730, online www.planetrock.com and on iPhone.

He died the same way John Bonham did, from what I've read. That can kill you an any age. RIP.

Not that there aren't any out there but so far I haven't found any news articles that reveal the cause of death. This BBC report even said this:

"He was so robust, he wasn't a rock casualty, he was a healthy guy".

The quote is attributed to Eric Bell, a guitarist from Northern Ireland.

Not that there aren't any out there but so far I haven't found any news articles that reveal the cause of death. This BBC report even said this:

"He was so robust, he wasn't a rock casualty, he was a healthy guy".

The quote is attributed to Eric Bell, a guitarist from Northern Ireland.

This link was posted in another section on the forum. It suggests that his death was alcohol related, but it comes from The Sun newspaper which isn't exactly a reliable source. He may have had a heart attack or stroke. Anyway, it's still sad news...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3394698/Gary-Moore-found-dead-in-hotel-room.html

This link was posted in another section on the forum. It suggests that his death was alcohol related, but it comes from The Sun newspaper which isn't exactly a reliable source. He may have had a heart attack or stroke. Anyway, it's still sad news...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3394698/Gary-Moore-found-dead-in-hotel-room.html

Indeed it is but as you said The Sun is less than a reliable source.

Archived