2011 Major League Baseball Thread

silvermedalist

You Tiger fans your boys are tied for first. If the Orioles were in that division they would be right there. STill, they go to the bottom of the 12th inning tonight with a shot at five in a row. I am hoping they can pull it off. They are still only five out. Incredible really. But their relief pitching will be their undoing I am afraid. Getting better though. Just a mattter of time. I can wait another year. I have waited 29

Me. In this pace world series is back in boston...

They have been the odds on choice by most and the Phillies too. After the horrid start it had many worried. It proves again what a long long season it really is. You could not get away with a bad start like that even in basketball or hockey. But in baseball you can. They are hitting for sure. As long as the damn Yankees dont win I guess I am fine with it.

• 2 weeks later...

LOUUUUUUUUUUUUU !! :)

http://www.freep.com/article/20110627/COL08/106270413/Drew-Sharp-Even-Lou-Whitaker-shows-up-honor-Sparky-Anderson?odyssey=mod|mostview

Even Lou Whitaker shows up to honor Sparky Anderson

12:49 AM, Jun. 27, 2011

BY DREW SHARP

The words flowed Sunday for a man who never was at a loss for them. But possibly the most endearing tribute to Sparky Anderson was the simple, quiet appreciation from the man who played more games for Sparky than anybody else he ever managed.

Lou Whitaker showed up.

That, in and of itself, might be worthy of a commemorative plaque.

He neither spoke to the crowd nor to reporters following the observance. But it was generally recognized that using Sparky's number retirement ceremony as a means for ending his estrangement with the Tigers was a testament to his tremendous respect for Anderson.

The Tigers extended an invitation to Whitaker two weeks ago and crossed their fingers. He didn't make any promises, but the team was hopeful he would appear. They didn't know he was in town until he showed up at one of the Comerica Park suites for Saturday night's game, much to the surprise -- and delight -- of others.

"I wasn't sure that he was going to be here," said Lakeland coach and ex-teammate Larry Herndon, "but when I saw him, it was great. It was like having the whole family back together again. And I'm sure it would've made Sparky very happy seeing him back for this."

Arizona bench coach Alan Trammell was "ecstatic" when he saw his former keystone partner before Saturday's game.

"We're forever linked," Trammell said. "It's always great seeing him. It just proves the influence that Sparky had on so many of us, that we understand the importance of coming together for an occasion such as this."

Incredibly, this weekend was Whitaker's first appearance at Comerica in the ballpark's 11-year history. He didn't attend the 25-year reunion of the 1984 championship team two years ago. Ergo, he was absent from the reunion portrait from that day presented to Anderson's family Sunday.

It was Lou "being Lou," an excuse that has grown tiresome over time. Blowing off the reunion exasperated some in the organization. The team uninvited Whitaker from participating in spring training the past two winters. Perhaps his public overture in recognition of Sparky becomes a first step in healing old wounds.

"I didn't know he was going to be here," said former Tigers coach Dick Tracewski. "All of a sudden (Saturday) I go into one of these suites, and he's there. It was nice to see him."

Tracewski said he believes Whitaker might finally be at peace with himself.

"There's a certain contentment about him now," he said. "He remarried. I like what I see."

This was a day for mending fences and burying grudges.

This tribute for Sparky was long overdue. His three children, Lee, Shirlee and Albert, expressed their appreciation for the honor, though it came almost eight months after Sparky's death. To their credit, the family took the high road. They could have understandably conveyed the regrets that this wasn't done sooner.

Sparky didn't leave Cincinnati on the friendliest of terms following the 1978 season, just two years after the Big Red Machine last steamrolled to a World Series championship. There were harsh feelings, but the sides found a common path through the vitriol and, six years ago, the Reds retired Sparky's No. 10.

Though the Tigers gave Sparky his rightful due much later than necessary, they did it. It's never too late to do what's right. Perhaps Whitaker understands as well now that it's never too late to come back home. The door is open.

Contact Drew Sharp: 313-223-4055 or dsharp@freepress.

• 2 weeks later...

A big congrats goes out to the Yankees Derek Jeter, upon reaching 3,000 hits today. :thumbsup::cheer: Did it in monumental style with a HR into the left field bleachers. The only Yankee ever to have that many, while with the team. He had a great day and went 5 for 5 with a HR, Double and three Singles

hi all,

A big congrats goes out to the Yankees Derek Jeter, upon reaching 3,000 hits today. :thumbsup::cheer: Did it in monumental style with a HR into the left field bleachers. The only Yankee ever to have that many, while with the team. He had a great day and went 5 for 5 with a HR, Double and three Singles

Yes SD,he is a class act!

Red Sox manager Terry Francona first crossed paths with Jeter when the latter was about 19 and playing in the Arizona Fall League.

“He’s still the same kid,” Francona said. “A little different haircut, but always plays the game right, always treats people right, and he tries to beat your brains out. That’s a good way to go about things. I don’t care how long it takes. That’s an unbelievable accomplishment. I appreciate the way he respects the game a lot.”

Francona respects Jeter so much, one of his great regrets remains the fact that Jeter somehow didn’t make the 2005 All-Star team, which Francona managed.

“I actually tracked him down here in Boston,” Francona said. “We went out to the tunnel and I told him, ‘I’ve been wanting to do this for a long time, and the fact that you’re not on the team is upsetting to me.’ I just wanted him to know I cared. He’s always polite. He’s never not polite. If you like baseball, he’s a lot of what’s good in baseball. He respects the game. He plays the game right. He makes me proud for the way he goes about his business.”

KB

I'm a Mets fan...but it was fun watching that game yesterday with Derek Jeter.

Me too!

Me three- and I'm very happy for Derek, he's a real class act.

Also thought it was great that the guy who caught the ball returned it to Jeter instead of selling it at auction like others have done with milestone baseballs they caught. :thumbsup:

Karma is a good thing. This kid who returned the ball to Jeter will get his reward in life, hopefully sooner than later. He walked away from a ton of money by doing that.

Good for the kid and good for Jeter too in getting his 3,000th hit.

Me three- and I'm very happy for Derek, he's a real class act.

Also thought it was great that the guy who caught the ball returned it to Jeter instead of selling it at auction like others have done with milestone baseballs they caught. :thumbsup:

Definitely agree with this. Derek is one of the classiest in the game. :cheer: Christian Lopez, who caught the ball did the right thing. :thumbsup: For one thing, Derek very easily could have hit a single and someone catching the ball wouldn't have been an option. The Yankees gave him a lot of good things. I know he got to meet Derek Jeter, and received numerous bats, balls, autographs, Legends Suite tix for the next day and four tix through the rest of the season. Might be some other stuff. Considering he's 23 years old and just out of college, perhaps, he should have asked for a job in the Yankees organization. That's what I would have done. :yesnod:

:blink:

pure fucking genius...........

you

I thought I told you to never talk to me again you sack of shit. Now run off and see who else's attention you can get? You are probably the most dispicable piece of shit on this forum. That pic fits you to a tee.

EBK, what is going on with this team and manager? I expected at least better hitting? Arrieta was doing well. Britton too. what in the devil went wrong?

EBK, what is going on with this team and manager? I expected at least better hitting? Arrieta was doing well. Britton too. what in the devil went wrong?

I wish I know. The team seems to be getting worse every day... It happens every year. We're decent for about 5 or 6 weeks, then totally fall off a cliff. It's really discouraging.

I wish I know. The team seems to be getting worse every day... It happens every year. We're decent for about 5 or 6 weeks, then totally fall off a cliff. It's really discouraging.

Hate to say it but this manager must go. You cant have as much talent as they do and be this bad. The manager is the one that is accountable. I would have liked to see Davey Johnson back but he is now with another team. Beg Torre to come? Have to fire this guy. hate to say it. Had high hopes in him. But its now 8 straight losses and another last place finish all but gauranteed. Ill be glad when Hockey starts. At least I know I have a good team there. Football, not so sure yet

Well the manager can't pitch. Neither than the Orioles staff. All of these young pitchers were supposed to be the new wave that saves the franchise. Britton got sent back down after a hot start, Matuz and Bergesen are horrible and even Arrieta is coming back down to earth. Guthrie isn't even worth mentioning and their bullpen aside from Johnson is horrible.

They've got a Triple A pitching staff............and that's being kind. This is the GM here and not the manager. They can hit with anybody but when you're giving up 8 runs or more a game you can't win.

Another lost year.

Another thing that happens every year is when the Mets tank in September!

Another thing that happens every year is when the Mets tank in September!

I still remember that '69 series like it was yesterday. Paul Blair hits the first pitch over the center field wall. At the time it was considered one of the biggest upsets in the history of sports. That same year was the single biggest when the Jets upset the Colts, and in my opinion still is the biggest upset of all time in a team sporting event. Even bigger than the miracle on ice. But the series upset, I mean, how big of an upset can it be when you have Tom Seaver and Jerry Koosman going? True the Orioles had the better lineup but we got robbed by catches like the one by Clendenon. And why do I bring all this up? Just to remind the younger members that there was a day when the Orioles and Mets were great teams. Oh yeaH. Lets not forget the Pirates who also came back on us from a 3-1 deficit to send us home unhappy again. But we did win it all in that 1970 series beating the big red machine. the Brooks Robinson series I call it.

They weren't really the big red machine - yet. Didn't you guys beat the Phillies in '83?

Yes, Ripken's rookie season. But in no way as good a team as those in the early 1970's. Flanigan was one of the ace's but the lineup of Palmer, and McNally and Quellar was far better than any they had in 83. The 70 team was far deeper. And you are right, they were not the big red machine yet only because they had not yet tasted success. But the pieces were in place. Bench, Rose, and company. So we beat one heck of a team. And Robinson's play at third was legendary. Some of the ones he made like one smash by Bench were just great. And there was the grand slam by Dave McNally the pitcher. In those days the american league had pitchers that could swing the lumber.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems everyone is still buzzing about the Tigers vs. Angels game on Sunday. I certainly agree that Guillen's showboating was uncalled for, but not one sports announcer mentioned that Weaver yelled at Ordonez to 'RUN' !! twice as he was trotting around the bases in the same manner he always does. Weaver's a punk just like his brother. He was just pissed because he threw one to many floaters to the Tigers, and they started sitting on them. I agree there's nothing wrong with bunting during a no hitter, but would he have done it if the events from the inning before hadn't happened ?

....and I'll say it again. It sure is fun watching a pitcher like Verlander throw a 101 mph fastball on his 120th pitch. I'd take him over anybody right now. I think it's going to be an interesting Fall in Tiger Land. :)

Seems everyone is still buzzing about the Tigers vs. Angels game on Sunday. I certainly agree that Guillen's showboating was uncalled for, but not one sports announcer mentioned that Weaver yelled at Ordonez to 'RUN' !! twice as he was trotting around the bases in the same manner he always does. Weaver's a punk just like his brother. He was just pissed because he threw one to many floaters to the Tigers, and they started sitting on them. I agree there's nothing wrong with bunting during a no hitter, but would he have done it if the events from the inning before hadn't happened ?

....and I'll say it again. It sure is fun watching a pitcher like Verlander throw a 101 mph fastball on his 120th pitch. I'd take him over anybody right now. I think it's going to be an interesting Fall in Tiger Land. :)

Well should they manage to hang on and win the central, they will be big underdogs to Boston or Yankees or Texas as you are well aware. Maybe they could upset one in a short series? But to win the AL Pennant is asking a bit too much I believe. Still think its the Red Sox and Phillies. Verlander has been good. I dont know if he is the best. I dont know if you can say anyone is the best really.

Archived