Are guitar players getting better when getting older?

Tea for Tanja

I know it depends on the practising and physic. condition but I wonder what you think about this.

Les Paul was a wizzard even when getting older . But I liked Garry Moore much more in 1976 when I saw him playing in a small

beertent than in the last years .Howe and JP are not the same as they were before.Is this a matter of age or real creativity ?

• 2 months later...

I think it all depends on the way you want to make music. If you don´t have a pain in your fingers and you reached a certain level of playing than

it is up to what sounds you want to produce.I think I was a bit more "Super slinky" when being younger. But by now I gained alot of weight also.

Recently I lacerated my left hand pinky. Tendons, nerve and artery. Apparently, worst injury to the fingers to recover from and was inoperable up until the last twenty years or so. Being that playing the guitar is my deepest passion in life, i was greatly afflicted by depression. Fortunately, I am stubborn and with a little inspiration from people like Django Reinhardt and Tony Iommi, I am playing again, better than before. Despite age or physical ailments, mind over matter is the key, and don't you forget it! B)

Is this a matter of age or real creativity ?

Everything continues to grow if it has what it needs. I think it's more a matter of phases in life's journey. People don't usually have the same feelings, expectations, needs or wants as they did yesterday. Like ENTL said, it's what you want to make of it.

• 2 months later...

I know it depends on the practising and physic. condition but I wonder what you think about this.

Les Paul was a wizzard even when getting older . But I liked Garry Moore much more in 1976 when I saw him playing in a small

beertent than in the last years .Howe and JP are not the same as they were before.Is this a matter of age or real creativity ?

I think theres the practice of playing of playing for aquiring a skill and then theres honing that skill and arranging those skills into a song still another level.........so Yes absolutely.....more practice on more levels is Excellent.......im 55 now I just jump in and play but when I was young it was all about i need to try to play that and that and that too lots of practice and variety makes us all better players....MEB

post-17535-0-04316500-1308634508_thumb.j

A guitar teacher once told me that at a certain point, a player reaches his or her potential and they don't improve beyond that. Of course, that's just one guy's opinion, but his words have kinda haunted me these 15+ years.

Maybe he meant *technically* you reach a plateau, but playing music is also emotional, creative, spiritual, etc. Maybe you can go deeper with your playing as you age and live and continue playing.

I think theres the practice of playing of playing for aquiring a skill and then theres honing that skill and arranging those skills into a song still another level.........so Yes absolutely.....more practice on more levels is Excellent.......im 55 now I just jump in and play but when I was young it was all about i need to try to play that and that and that too lots of practice and variety makes us all better players....MEB

Its worked against me a bit. I have some carpo tunnel and had pinched nerves in my wrists a Doctor told me. I am ok during the day. When I go to sleep and wake up sometimes it bothers me. So of course it does not help getting older in that respect. You have to be willing to put in the time to play. To me memory is a big part of playing too. I know all the chords and scales and have the dexterity and even an ear. But when you put it down and walk away from it for a bit, you have to really put in the work to get back where you belong so to speak. And sometimes I knew a song real well and just plain forgot the song and need to go back and look up the key and come chords and tab. Time is your best friend if you have it and your worst enemy if you do not.

I think that I myself have got more adamant at playing as now when I practice, I really get down to doing the whole song and not just playing at it. As for the star's that get older I think it's just that they may be thinking about the end of the line and wanting to leave a better mark as they may think they haven't done as well with the music as they could have in the early year's.

Most will sober/clean up too, this is something I've also noticed since I've been clean and sober, I feel better with it then I did when I was really only looking for something to have fun with while I was buzzed.

I personally think I am a lot better in the past year sense I started playing again steadily. I am 57 years old. When I started playing the only way to learn were lousy Mel Bay books and music sheets from the music store. Now with all the free lessons and people doing covers and sharing their knowledge I should be able to accomplish in another year what it took 10 years to do when I was younger. Because of my age I know my fingers will never have the speed of a shredder or anything like that but no reason I can't do 70s rock without missing a lick. Plus, I now can take my time and not get frustrated so easily when I run into a wall. lol Yes, age does affect speed for lots of reasons, authritis is one of those.

Malcolm and Angus Young are gods of the guitar for nearly 40 years. They are always perfect. For them the age does not matter. This is just my opinion. But these are the people they human? :rolleyes:

sorry for my english i am french.

Les Paul was in a car accident back in the 50s and had his arm set in a specific position so he could still play guitar. But as he aged, his playing skills deteriorated. He still played but was nowhere near the player he was before. Age gets everyone in the end. Joe Satriani or Stevie Vai in 20 years won't be close to the payers they are today. To me, the only one out there who still amazes me in Jeff Beck.

Archived