The Beach Boys Thread

zosodude13

I searched for a thread on these guys and I did not see one. And frankly, I was shocked. They are one of the greatest bands of all time, and probably the best band America ever gave to the world. The relationship between Brian Wilson and Lennon/McCartney always interested me. The greatest song writers of all time. Watching each band release albums that would be considered all time greats and seeing them manage on one-up each other. You can only imagine if SMiLE had become the album Brian Wilson dreamed it to be. And, speaking of SMiLE, I think we can all agree Brian Wilson has one of the most tragic stories in music (without actually dying)

Anyway, this is just a general thread to talk about an all time great band.

Probably the single most beautiful piece of music I've ever heard in my life.

I searched for a thread on these guys and I did not see one. And frankly, I was shocked.

There's one here. My experience with the Search engine here is that you have to use more specific keywords to locate previous threads. For instance, rather than using "Beach Boys" I used "Wilson" and found it immediately.

I had only been familiar with most of their surf and hot rod tunes growing up in the 70s. Years later everyone kept mentioning Pet Sounds and how great they thought it was, a milestone in music, they said. I purchased it in the early 00s and listened to it in nearly every conceivable environment (from headphones on the beach to 10,000 feet in the sky) in an attempt to connect with it. For years, it never really came to me. Then, one weekend at the coast I put it on around 3 am and it finally came to me. I have barely revisited it since because I'm afraid it won't be nearly as magical as that 3 am spin I experienced a few years ago.

I was lucky enough to see Jimmy Page play with the Beach Boys at a Fourth of July day concert on the Mall in Washington DC.

As you may know the Beach Boys used to play on the Mall every year It was a massive concert with well over a 100,000 people. So when I say I saw Jimmy page it was from really really far away. No video screens.

I remember them introducing him as a guest and remember seeing him walk out onstage and he played on maybe two or three songs I'm not sure how many. I know he took a lead on at least one I think it was a familiar Beach Boys song with a classic rock 'n roll rhythm. It was very cool. This would have been about a week before the live aid concert in 1985.

Is this on YouTube? I've done a quick search but had no luck.

I think we can all agree Brian Wilson has one of the most tragic stories in music (without actually dying)

Tragic but ultimately triumphant. I'm a longtime Beach Boys fan, and if you would have told me years ago that Brian would emerge out of his illness and finish Smile, tour and record new music regularly, etc. I would have been astonished. To think that *Brian* is the surviving Wilson brother - very unexpected to say the least. We are very blessed to still have him around, he's a treasure of American music. I only wish Carl and Dennis were still alive to see it.

P.S. Boogie Woogie, I'm crazy-jealous that you were there for the Beach Boys/Pagey jam. This concert was on television in 1985; there is/was a guy on YouTube that had clips of the show and also of Jimmy on the tour bus with the Beach Boys.

I was lucky enough to see Jimmy Page play with the Beach Boys at a Fourth of July day concert on the Mall in Washington DC.

As you may know the Beach Boys used to play on the Mall every year It was a massive concert with well over a 100,000 people. So when I say I saw Jimmy page it was from really really far away. No video screens.

I remember them introducing him as a guest and remember seeing him walk out onstage and he played on maybe two or three songs I'm not sure how many. I know he took a lead on at least one I think it was a familiar Beach Boys song with a classic rock 'n roll rhythm. It was very cool. This would have been about a week before the live aid concert in 1985.

Is this on YouTube? I've done a quick search but had no luck.

I have a dvd of the Firm from the Hammersmith Odeon in London from 12/9/1984. Great live dvd of Jimmy and the Firm called "Joining Forces". Anyway, there is a bunch of bonus material and one of the bonuses includes the aforementioned jam of Jimmy Page with the Beach Boys. The footage looks professionally filmed. There seems to be at least 10 different musicians on the stage all at the same time. I don't know many songs Jimmy actually played with the Beach Boys that day but the dvd I have has Jimmy playing "Lucille", "Surfin' USA" and "Barbara Ann".

I have the complete Beach Boys show at Knebworth in 1980 on dvd- one of the last times all the original members played together. :D

I'll bet that is a really good show. I never realized they went over to Knebworth. Wow, I'd love a Beach Boys dvd of full show @Knebworth.

It doesn't look like we will ever get any official release of Led Zeppelin from Knebworth. I like the songs Jimmy P. picked for the 2003 dvd. I just wish he would have picked more,--as in all of them, lol.....................:) missy

I have the complete Beach Boys show at Knebworth in 1980 on dvd- one of the last times all the original members played together. :D

It's a fantastic concert, isn't it? The audience was so into it. PBS broadcasts it from time to time; there is a professional DVD available.

I have a dvd of the Firm from the Hammersmith Odeon in London from 12/9/1984. Great live dvd of Jimmy and the Firm called "Joining Forces". Anyway, there is a bunch of bonus material and one of the bonuses includes the aforementioned jam of Jimmy Page with the Beach Boys. The footage looks professionally filmed. There seems to be at least 10 different musicians on the stage all at the same time. I don't know many songs Jimmy actually played with the Beach Boys that day but the dvd I have has Jimmy playing "Lucille", "Surfin' USA" and "Barbara Ann".

wow, this is so cool I have always wondered if there is footage of Page playing with the Beach boys. So how did Page look and sound. Can you give a more detailed review of what it was like seeing Page play with the Beach boys, how it sounded, the atmosphere of the summer time outdoor party, etc. Did Page have it together or was it kind of a 80s reckless (I mean he's my guy but some of those 80s performances were sloppy right?) performance? I'm surprised this footage is not on YouTube?

and since this is a Beach boys thread how were the Beach boys that day as well. ?

wow, this is so cool I have always wondered if there is footage of Page playing with the Beach boys. So how did Page look and sound. Can you give a more detailed review of what it was like seeing Page play with the Beach boys, how it sounded, the atmosphere of the summer time outdoor party, etc. Did Page have it together or was it kind of a 80s reckless (I mean he's my guy but some of those 80s performances were sloppy right?) performance? I'm surprised this footage is not on YouTube?

and since this is a Beach boys thread how were the Beach boys that day as well. ?

Jimmy actually made 2 appearances with the Beach Boys on July 4th, 1985

Washington, District of Columbia July 4th, 1985 National Mall

Jimmy and Joan Jett joined the Beach Boys in front of 750, 000 people

Setlist:

Surfin' USA

Barbara Ann

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania July 4, 1985 Ben Franklin Parkway (Philadelphai Freedom Concert)

Setlist: Mr. T played drums on Surfin' Safari

Lucille

Help Me Rhonda

Surfin' Safari

Barbara Ann

Fun Fun Fun

Jimmy Page with the Beach Boys -video from youtube-Philadelphia- Love it when Jimmy flicks off his sun glasses. enjoy. :D

Pic from Jeffrey Foskett -

l_8561e7062c13432b930102ca8c180732.jpg

Jeffrey Foskett is a guitarist and singer best known for his work with Brian Wilson and The Beach Boys- While Carl Wilson toured to promote his first solo album. Foskett filled the void with his guitar work and falsetto vocals in The Beach Boys. When Carl permanently returned to the Beach Boys in May 1982, he asked Foskett to stay, which Foskett did and toured with the group for a decade until July 4, 1990, after which Jeff left for his own solo career.

That Beach Boys from Knebworth I have is not a bootleg but a store bought pro- dvd-you can order it on amazon.com it is on the same label that does the classic albums series on dvd for all the groups-Eagle Rock Entertainment I also have the Endless Harmony: The Beach Boys story on dvd- it is good also.

313XENEG53L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51A9EQPT4ZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Thanks for posting that. Have you found any footage of Mr. T playing drums on "Surfin' Surfari"?

Well on youtube the guy who posted that -said there is Mr. T but I didn't see any close ups of him and the first song is from Philadelphia (Lucille) so Mr. T is on Surfin' Safari-so maybe somebody has the remaining songs?

the other 2 songs are from Washington DC- Jimmy looks like he is wearing the same shirt he wore at Live Aid 7-13-85. Not sure but one of those drummers might be the actor John Stamos- he played with them alot to.

Well on youtube the guy who posted that -said there is Mr. T but I didn't see any close ups of him and the first song is from Philadelphia (Lucille) so Mr. T is on Surfin' Safari-so maybe somebody has the remaining songs?

the other 2 songs are from Washington DC- Jimmy looks like he is wearing the same shirt he wore at Live Aid 7-13-85. Not sure but one of those drummers might be the actor John Stamos- he played with them alot to.

What is it with the Beach Boys and celebrities such as Mr. T and John Stamos joining musical forces with them? Must be a Mike Love thing...

Thanks for the video link. After all this time to see a pro shot video of Page with the Beach boys at the DC concert, the crowd, the atmosphere and fireworks in the background... brings back great memories.

Page looks like he's having a great time on stage. I like the part where someone tapped him on the shoulder to look up to see the fireworks while they were playing. Great stuff

Page looks like he's having a great time on stage. I like the part where someone tapped him on the shoulder to look up to see the fireworks while they were playing.

I didn't catch that part, but I love his endearingly strange dance moves, esp. when he's using the B-bender. He's the kosmic Beach Boy. Wouldn't it have been great if he and Link Wray (R.I.P.) could have made a surf/rockabilly guitar album.

I didn't catch that part, but I love his endearingly strange dance moves, esp. when he's using the B-bender. He's the kosmic Beach Boy. Wouldn't it have been great if he and Link Wray (R.I.P.) could have made a surf/rockabilly guitar album.

As a huge fan of Surf and Rockabilly that would have been wonderful. Just imagine the uproar if Page were to release such a record now.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

From RollingStone.com:

Brian Wilson Hints at Beach Boys 50th Anniversary Reunion'

I just don't know if I want to be around those guys, you know? They're crazy'

main.jpg

Brian Wilson attends NARM Convention Awards Dinner at the Hyatt Regency Century Plaza on May 12, 2011 in Century City, California.

Duffy-Marie Arnoult/WireImage

By MATTHEW PERPETUA

In an interview with BBC 6 Music, Beach Boys mastermind Brian Wilson hinted that the group may reunite in the studio to celebrate their 50th anniversary. "I'm considering it," he said. According to Wilson, nothing is holding him back aside from a reluctance to reconnect with his old partners. "I just don't know if I want to be around those guys, you know? They're zany guys. They're crazy." Wilson has not collaborated with his former bandmates since he co-produced Stars and Stripes Volume One, a 1996 album featuring country versions of their hit songs.

Though it remains to be seen whether or not Wilson will record new material with the band, the Beach Boys will be coming together to put the finishing touches on Smile, the band's never-released follow-up to their 1966 masterwork Pet Sounds. The group will be offering input on the album's track listing, which was never firmly established as the record was never completed as originally planned.

• 1 month later...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRIAN!!! :birthday:

A true musical legend...one that I've been fortunate to have seen many times over the years. Those shows at the Roxy were MAGIC! As was the Pet Sounds at the Hollywood Bowl and Smile at Walt Disney Hall.

And like Brian, I often feel I just wasn't made for these times.

Archived