The Beach Boys Thread

zosodude13

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

From Spin:

Beach Boys Reuniting... For Real This Time! For 50th Anniversary!

By Marc Hogan

111216-beach-boys.png

Hey, our inbox just picked up some good vibrations! Capitol/EMI has announced that, after decades of legal wrangling, what's left of the actual Beach Boys are reuniting for real. Surviving original members Brian Wilson, Mike Love, and Al Jardine, joined by early '60s bandmates Bruce Johnston and David Marks, will get together for a new studio album and a 50-date international tour starting in April, which includes a headlining slot at the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival. Notoriously reclusive songwriter and alterna-pop icon Brian Wilson hasn't exactly been a part of the Beach Boys touring lineup since, oh, 1964, so this is just a little more exciting than the Afghan Whigs getting their shit together.

The Beach Boys' as-yet-untitled new album is set for a 2012 release, and the band already has "several songs" in the can, according to a press release. The new album is being produced by Wilson and "executive produced" by Love. The label also has several commemorative releases on the way for the new year, among them a new hits compilation and a career-spanning box set. Fun, fun, and fun, right?

"This anniversary is special to me because I miss the boys and it will be a thrill for me to make a new record and be on stage with them again," Wilson is quoted a saying, though the extra revenue stream is no doubt a bonus too.

"We got together at Capitol Records and re-recorded [1968 Beach Boys single] 'Do It Again,'" says Love. "Brian and I wrote that song which went to number 1 in Great Britain, Australia, and elsewhere some 44 years ago. Brian paid me a compliment saying, 'How can a guy sound that great so many years later?'"

Of course, a true Beach Boys reunion is sadly impossible. The three teenage Wilson brothers — Brian, Carl, and Dennis — formed the group in 1961 in Hawthorne, California, with cousin Love and school buddy Jardine. Dennis died in 1983, Carl passed away in 1998, and Mike Love's credibility passed away when he got John Stamos as a drummer and recorded "Kokomo."

Beach Boys reunite for new album, world tour

CBC News

hi-beachboys-getty-71387824-8col.jpg

Mike Love, left, and Bruce Johnston of The Beach Boys perform in New York in 2006.

After working with his cousin Brian Wilson recently, fellow founding band member Love agreed to a reunion. (Peter Kramer/Getty Images)

AUDIO: Brian Wilson on Q

The Beach Boys are reuniting for the group's 50th anniversary, with the California rockers slated to take the stage at the Grammy Awards in February.

Founding members Brian Wilson, Mike Love and Al Jardine said late Friday on their website that they will reunite for a new album and a 50-date worldwide tour.

"This anniversary is special to me because I miss the boys, and it will be a thrill for me to make a new record and be on stage with them again," Wilson said in a statement.

The reunion will include Bruce Johnston and David Marks, who joined the band later. Original members Carl and Dennis Wilson, brothers to Brian, have since died.

si-wilson-getty-81155953.jpg

Brian Wilson, seen in Los Angeles in 2008, and his fellow Beach Boys are set to reunite, release a new album and embark on a 50-date world tour. (Valerie Macon/Getty Images)

The iconic 1960s-era quintet helped create and popularize the sunny, West Coast classic rock sound with influential albums such as Pet Sounds and many ubiquitous hit songs, including Good Vibrations, California Girls, I Get Around and Surfin' USA.

However, chief songwriter Wilson suffered from mental-health problems and drug abuse that ultimately caused him to withdraw from the band. A feud developed between cousins Wilson and Love that forced the group apart, while legal battles between different members also caused bad blood.

However, all sides appear to have softened their stances over the years and have briefly reunited to mark anniversaries and team up on recordings.

When working together again recently, Wilson noted that "music has been the unifying and harmonizing fact of life in our family since childhood. It has been a huge blessing that we have been able to share with the world. Wouldn't It Be Nice to Do It Again?" Love recounted, making reference to another two Beach Boys hits.

His response: "Absolutely."

Following the Grammy gig in February, the Beach Boys will kick off a globe-trotting tour with a performance at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival on April 27.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I love the Beach Boys and always will. I liked the movie that was done on them too. To me they never really got anough credit. Just like the band America. They are very big, but sometimes do not get the respect that other bands from that age got. They had alot of classic hits.

I think the Beach Boys get plenty of credit especially when it come to albums like Pet Sounds. I don't think I've ever seen a "best albums of all time" type list that didn't include it. What probably hasn't helped their legacy has been the John Stamos years and Mike Love's reputation for being a money grubbing asshole.

As for America, I was never a huge of theirs or bands like Bread but a few years ago Bobby Bare, Jr. did an EP called American Bread that saluted both bands.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived