Joan Bonham

sam_webmaster

Can, I know her age when she passed away..?

She was 81. This video was recorded during her 80th birthday party in 2009:

In 2007 Joan was a principal vocalist for The Zimmers who had a hit in the U.K. that year doing their version of The Who's 'My Generation'.The Zimmers were thought to have the oldest band members in the world as their lead singer, Alf, was 90, and the oldest member, Buster, claimed to be 102. They took their name from the Zimmer frame (UK name for a walking frame).

The band was created as a feature in a BBC Television documentary, which was first broadcast on 28 May 2007. The feature, forming of the band and recording of a single was intended to give a voice to the feelings of isolation and imprisonment suffered by the elderly.

jb20110209_02.jpg

Deborah Bonham & Joan Bonham, accepting the Tommy Vance Inspiration Award from Paul Rodgers, Classic Rock Awards, Park Lane Hotel, London, England, November 02, 2009

very sad for her family, from all i have read, they are a really close family.

this photo shows a strong family resembalence, i see johns face in hers.

knebby, it must have been so joyous, yet so so sad to witness joan at the02 gig. so much emotion would have been in that room, and for nobody more than she.

R.I.P.JoanBonham.

• Administrators

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2011/02/15/led-zeppelin-drummer-john-bonhams-mother-dies/

Led Zeppelin drummer John Bonham’s mother dies

Joan Bonham, aged 81, had found fame herself in recent years as a lead vocalist with geriatric rockers The Zimmers.

Joan, who lived in Redditch, had been ill since Christmas. Her grandson is Dudley-born Jason Bonham, who followed his father into a successful drumming career.

Her daughter, Debbie Bonham, is a well-known singer, and grand-daughter, Zoe, is a singer-songwriter.

Redditch-born John Bonham, died in 1980, at the age of 32, at fellow Zeppelin star Jimmy Page’s home in Windsor.

Kevyn Gammond, of MAS Records, based at Kidderminster College — who was a guitarist with the original Band of Joy, from which Led Zeppelin was formed — said: “She was a charming, charismatic lady, who provided a loving home to John in Redditch.”

Mr Gammond added that he last saw her at Zeppelin lead singer Robert Plant’s birthday party at the star’s home in Shatterford, near Kidderminster, in August, when she had looked “quite frail”.

Joan, a widow, who used to run a newsagents in Hunt End Road, in Redditch, died on Wednesday.

Peter Noble, head of PR for Jason Bonham’s band Black Country Communion, said: “We can confirm that Jason’s grandmother has sadly died.”

She was often seen at Led Zeppelin-related events, even in later life. In 2003 she attended the New York premiere of the Led Zeppelin DVD and was in the audience at the band’s famous 2007 reunion show at London’s O2 — when Jason Bonham took his father’s place on the drums.

The Zimmers, a 40-piece band originally created by the BBC for a 2007 documentary on the conditions and feelings of elderly people, released its first full-length album, Lust for Life, in September 2008.

The band’s songs included a cover of The Who anthem My Generation.

In 2009, accompanied by daughter Debbie, Joan accepted the Tommy Vance Inspiration Award at the Classic Rock Awards Ceremony in London.

Joan is credited with starting her famous son off on his musical career, when she bought him a snare drum at the age of 10.

--

My deepest condolences to the Bonham family; Jason, Zoe, Deborah, and everyone. May she rest in peace and have a happy reunion and party with Jack, John, Mick, Cozy, Jimi, Phil, Gary, Mooney, The Ox and the endless list of those in Heaven! Man it must be rockin' up there! :)

Archived