Jason, you should be PROUD.

Alright guys and gals, give me a break please. Jason IS NOT Bonzo by any stretch of the imagination. I wasn't there and did not see the show, but this I do know: Grohl was and is right, no one can play like John Bonham, not even his own son. The reviews I've read so far said he made the songs his own, not playing them as Bonzo did, making them 'funkier'. Know why? NO ONE can play with Bonham's swing, groove, time, precision, power and grace; just as no one can play like Buddy Rich. They were 2 of the greatest drummers to ever pick up sticks, and the reason I embarked on my journey 25+ years ago. Ask any drummer who will really tell you the truth if they can faithfully replicate and play Bonzo's licks, and he or she will say no. Make it their own, yes. But imitate the genius that was Bonzo? No way. But, you have your views, I have mine. Ian Paice and Dave Holland are awesome as well, but John Henry Bonham is the undisputed King of Rock drummers, just watch him destroy his stainless steel kit playing "Achilles Last Stand" on the 2003 DVD, that should settle this non-argument once and for all. I don't think they played it last night, and I highly doubt Jason would ever want to try and embark on that one...I know I wouldn't. Prank

Alright, I just downloaded 'Stairway to Heaven' from YouTube and watched it. I wanted to be proven wrong very badly. However, it only cemented my original views. Plant seemed to be going through the motions, Page was missing notes, but John Paul, as usual, was spot on. There was a little intensity building, but when it came time for the drums, the band sounded like any other bar band trying to capture the chemistry of the original young warriors with something to prove - and failing miserably. Jason's approach to this classic song was mediocre at best. No, his perfectionist Dad would not be proud of this attempt. Maybe at his son putting his 'stamp' on the song, but I'd wager Bonzo would tell Jason to at least try and play the song as written, not go through the motions. There was very little, if any, of Bonzo's energy and drive to take the other band members to the next level. J.P.J. was doing his usual professional best, but when you don't have Bonzo to help build the tension that WAS and IS Led Zeppelin, you have nothing. Prank BTW, I'm now certain Jason could never carry "Achilles Last Stand", just as I couldn't.

"What do you think Daddy?".

Well, I just downloaded and tried out 'Dazed and Confused' , 'Good Times Bad Times', 'Kashmir', and 'Whole Lotta Love', and Jason captures a little more of his father Bonzo, especially on 'Kashmir' (but his Dad's legendary bass drum footwork was missing in action even here), but not enough for this hard core Zeppelin fan. Led Zeppelin had the decency to realize a truly unique drummer was not as some call us, a dime a dozen (as most of us are), and disbanded when John Bonham died. They made the right call then, and should stop now after honoring the man who gave them their start (but they would have made it anyway, even without his shrewd eye for talent).

And whoever the sound monkeys were working the audio boards should be shot, post haste! This is 2007 for God's sake, not 1950. Prank

Hah, i have to agree with the guys here, Jason. The clips i have seen so far shows that you did a tight job there, congratulations man. I am still waiting for some fantapes and/or the real DVD to come out so i kind see your performance completely.

I totally agree, I have seen the guy play on many occasions and he has at all times been sepreme but last night he took it to another level, his dad was with him last night. there was a magistry in his playing that I've never seen before.

Can't wait to see it again, We live in hope and anticipation!!!

That clip from youtube is the only one I have too. I will admit to sobbing when I watched Jason. Brilliant and powerful! I am sure that Bonzo, wherever he is, was watching with pride.

I'm sobbing just reading this thread. "One sweet dream came true Monday."

I'm sobbing just reading this thread. "One sweet dream came true Monday."

:'(

For those of us who remember Bonzo from back in the day, this thread is bittersweet. I am also humbled by a universe that takes a soul like Bonzo but 27 years later gives us the gift of Jason.

"One sweet dream..." Amen.

The spirit of your father raged within you tonight, the power and accuracy was like that of a controlled explosion - unbelievable!

Your father would be proud of you, mate, I know everyone else is. You grew up wanting to be a bike rider, and your dad, was proud of you then. But to know that his son would grow up one day, taking his place, and completely blow away people's minds, I think would have made him the happiest man in the world.

You were superb and so was everyone, the whole gig was just tremendous!! Well done!

Your dad waking you up in the middle of the night to play for his friends payed off! You are one if not the best drummer alive right now. You really do have the spirit of your father.Hopefully there will be some more Zeppelin shows you can play in the future.

Archived