Smoke on the Water, Jimmy Page?

Black-Dog

is there any bootleg where Jimmy plays Smoke on the Water on the Coverdale/Page tour?

No, that song was not performed during any of the seven dates on that tour.

Here's the setlist:

1. Absolution Blues

2. Slide It In

3. Rock and Roll

4. Over Now

5. Kashmir

6. Pride and Joy

7. Take A Look At Yourself

8. Take Me For A Little While

9. In My Time Of Dying

10. Here I Go Again

11. White Summer / Black Mountain Side

12. Don't Leave Me This Way

13. Shake My Tree

Encores:

14. In The Still of The Night

15. Black Dog

16. The Ocean / Wanton Song / Feelin Hot medley

They had no reason to play "Smoke On The Water" because Coverdale did not sing on the original version of the song. (He didn't join Deep Purple until much later.)

However, Jimmy did have a connection to the 1989 charity version of "Smoke On The Water" which was released under name Rock Aid Armenia. He didn't actually play on the song, but he allowed the organization to use a live clip of "Dazed And Confused" in their fundraising video.

• 4 months later...

Thank you for your fast answer. I read that, may he played it in some rehearsals?

There is indeed a bootleg that claims that Page played together with Coverdale during a show where Coverdale also performed "Smoke On The Water". In St. Petersburg 1994 (the first Whitesnake show after Coverdale/Page) Coverdale introduced "Don't Leave me This Way" with the words "This is a song I wrote with Jimmy Page". In the mix Jimmy's name is much louder than the rest of the sentence. So some guy listening to the show created a cover with "Don't Leave me This Way (featuring Jimmy Page)". And next to this song Coverdale played one verse of "Smoke On The Water" due to the demand of the Russian audience...

There is indeed a bootleg that claims that Page played together with Coverdale during a show where Coverdale also performed "Smoke On The Water". In St. Petersburg 1994 (the first Whitesnake show after Coverdale/Page) Coverdale introduced "Don't Leave me This Way" with the words "This is a song I wrote with Jimmy Page". In the mix Jimmy's name is much louder than the rest of the sentence. So some guy listening to the show created a cover with "Don't Leave me This Way (featuring Jimmy Page)". And next to this song Coverdale played one verse of "Smoke On The Water" due to the demand of the Russian audience...

I wasn't aware of this particular hoax till now. Awesome detective work right here!

No, that song was not performed during any of the seven dates on that tour.

Here's the setlist:

1. Absolution Blues

2. Slide It In

3. Rock and Roll

4. Over Now

5. Kashmir

6. Pride and Joy

7. Take A Look At Yourself

8. Take Me For A Little While

9. In My Time Of Dying

10. Here I Go Again

11. White Summer / Black Mountain Side

12. Don't Leave Me This Way

13. Shake My Tree

Encores:

14. In The Still of The Night

15. Black Dog

16. The Ocean / Wanton Song / Feelin Hot medley

I have all 7 of the Japanese shows along with a 2 cd rehearsal and they didn't deviate from that setlist. In fact one of the shows the only thing they did different was they played rock and roll twice(2nd time as another encore song)- Yoyogi Olympic Arena, Tokyo, Japan 12-18-93

I have all 7 of the Japanese shows along with a 2 cd rehearsal and they didn't deviate from that setlist. In fact one of the shows the only thing they did different was they played rock and roll twice(2nd time as another encore song)- Yoyogi Olympic Arena, Tokyo, Japan 12-18-93

During the London Rehearsals in July they tried "Whisper A Prayer For The Dying" which could have been a great addition to the setlist...

During the London Rehearsals in July they tried "Whisper A Prayer For The Dying" which could have been a great addition to the setlist...

Yes I meant to mention that. But that was the only other song that they didn't perform. Some of the soundcheck stuff was interesting- although Coverdale wasn't there.

Archived