I have a Coverdale-Page Autographed 'Merge' sign

Art Murder

I am in possession of what is a major fan of the coverdale-page albums biggest dream. A 'merge' road sign, signed by both Jimmy Page and David Coverdale.

I have been trying for some time to get an idea of what it's worth, so I can sell it. I am not trying to sell the item on this site, I just want some information on it before selling it. (and to let more people know it's for sell, so no one misses out)

Truth is, despite being a major Jimmy Page fan, I need the money for a cross country trip to the music event of a lifetime. Going to this show would be a dream come true, and the only way I can do that is by selling my most prized possession... Cruel irony huh? But I have failed to find anything on this item's value even, so I am left with rough guesses and 'shot in the dark' estimates. I figure, if anyone knows anything about this sign, it's the people on this site.

Here is what I know about the sign.

It was made my Maneri Sign Company, Gardena CA in 1993. (Information found on a sticker on the sign's back)

It was won in a 'Be the 98th caller' contest on the radio station '98 Rocks!' in 1993. (By my mother)It has a factory-made bend in the middle so it can be stood up in a room, rather then be hung on wall.

It is 30" x 30" from edge to edge.

It is 2mm thick aluminium (Or some other light, non magnetic metal), with a thin layer of (What I assume is) vinyl paint.

It is about a foot 'wide' because of the bend.

It was intended for promotional display for the Coverdale-Page album release.

It has some minor damage from being nearly 20 years old. (Small nicks in the paint, scratches on the back, etc)

It has no faded paint.

It has no record of another one ever being sold on the internet(Not ebay, not amazon, not craigslist)

Pictures:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o166/dark_delicious_death/0214110943-1.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o166/dark_delicious_death/0214110941a-1.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o166/dark_delicious_death/0214110942.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o166/dark_delicious_death/0214110941c-1.jpg

Estimations on the Value:

1) I took it to the owner of a music memorabilia shop. He admitted having never seen anything like but when asked to give a guess of it's value, he said anywhere from $3,000.00 to $5,000.00. Though, that was with the assumption it was the only one of it's kind, which it may not be.

Thank you, very much. smile.gif

I am in possession of what is a major fan of the coverdale-page albums biggest dream. A 'merge' road sign, signed by both Jimmy Page and David Coverdale.

I have been trying for some time to get an idea of what it's worth, so I can sell it. I am not trying to sell the item on this site, I just want some information on it before selling it. (and to let more people know it's for sell, so no one misses out)

Truth is, despite being a major Jimmy Page fan, I need the money for a cross country trip to the music event of a lifetime. Going to this show would be a dream come true, and the only way I can do that is by selling my most prized possession... Cruel irony huh? But I have failed to find anything on this item's value even, so I am left with rough guesses and 'shot in the dark' estimates. I figure, if anyone knows anything about this sign, it's the people on this site.

Did you completely blank on this thread or is this just an attempt at spamming the board? Steve A. Jones answered your questions (or at least did his best to) in your orignal thread below:

I'm new here, but I joined on a mission!

Did you completely blank on this thread or is this just an attempt at spamming the board? Steve A. Jones answered your questions (or at least did his best to) in your orignal thread below:

I'm new here, but I joined on a mission!

Neither? I tried to edit the thread and couldn't. I'm new to the site, and there isn't any obvious 'edit' button I could find for the topic itself. It is very poorly written, has no pictures and little information, and isn't in the best forum for it. I decided to make a new thread, in a better forum, with a lot better layout, sense my question was never answered.

And he did help, but I still have no idea what the value is. Maybe someone does. And I am much more likely to find them in this forum, and with better thought out thread.

If I am going to sell this sign, I want to have a better estimate of it's value, so I don't rip myself, or anyone else, off.

If there is a way to delete my other thread, I gladly will. I by no means meant to spam.

Edited by Art Murder

Thought that I found a similar item at Worthopedia, but it's not the same.

Seems that your gizmo is quite unique, since the thing on Worthopedia is a 2 sided display.

http://www.worthpoin...ned-autographed

Yeah, closest I've come to finding another like it is that same type of item.

Thanks for the link, I wish I had an account on that site so I could see what it sold for though.

Just to reiterate what I posted to the original thread, I've never seen anything like it before. Clearly it was designed to be displayed standing up as a promotional item. I've ascertained the manufacturer in Gardena, CA is legitamate but have no confirmation they were commissioned by Geffen Records to produce them. The radio station contest story sounds plausible but also remains unconfirmed. The autographs appear to be authentic. I must say it's a real shame this item wasn't stored properly as the damage (scratching, rusting, discoloration) significantly reduces it's potential value. Even so, very unique discovery!

IMHO, it's potential value is more if it is a legitamate promotional item commissioned by Geffen Records as opposed to a one-off item commissioned by the radio station. My rationale for this is some high-end collector's would be more inclined

to consider this an unofficial/bootleg item as opposed to an official/authorized promotional item because the graphics are

copyrighted by Geffen Records. Insofar as what that value is things are of course worth only what someone is willing to pay.

Given issues above & the damage I anticipate you could sell it for $200 to $300 in private party sale, $300 - $500 at auction

but even at these amounts it may prove to be a difficult item to sell.

Just to reiterate what I posted to the original thread, I've never seen anything like it before. Clearly it was designed to be displayed standing up as a promotional item. I've ascertained the manufacturer in Gardena, CA is legitamate but have no confirmation they were commissioned by Geffen Records to produce them. The radio station contest story sounds plausible but also remains unconfirmed. The autographs appear to be authentic. I must say it's a real shame this item wasn't stored properly as the damage (scratching, rusting, discoloration) significantly reduces it's potential value. Even so, very unique discovery!

IMHO, it's potential value is more if it is a legitamate promotional item commissioned by Geffen Records as opposed to a one-off item commissioned by the radio station. My rationale for this is some high-end collector's would be more inclined

to consider this an unofficial/bootleg item as opposed to an official/authorized promotional item because the graphics are

copyrighted by Geffen Records. Insofar as what that value is things are of course worth only what someone is willing to pay.

Given issues above & the damage I anticipate you could sell it for $200 to $300 in private party sale, $300 - $500 at auction

but even at these amounts it may prove to be a difficult item to sell.

I personally wouldn't sell it for $500.00 or less, so that would be a real shame if it was worth that little. I knew the $3,000.00-ish the one person said it may be worth was was overpriced. I was expecting $1,200.00-$1,500.00 honestly.

I personally think it would be worth more then that though, but you couldn't be more right on some issues.

Would you suggest me putting the effort into repairing the signs paint and contacting the station we won it from and get a certificate of authenticity?

I personally wouldn't sell it for $500.00 or less, so that would be a real shame if it was worth that little. I knew the $3,000.00-ish the one person said it may be worth was was overpriced. I was expecting $1,200.00-$1,500.00 honestly.

I personally think it would be worth more then that though, but you couldn't be more right on some issues.

Would you suggest me putting the effort into repairing the signs paint and contacting the station we won it from and get a certificate of authenticity?

A signed and dated letter of provenance from the alleged radio station contest winner along with (and more so) signed, dated certificates of authenticity from the alleged radio station AND sign manufacturer would significantly improve your prospects for finding a potential buyer, and I'll reiterate my interest in the item. Certificates of authenticity should be accompanied by vintage documentation/recording proving the item was originally used for a 1993 contest if at all possible. You will undoubtedly find that to be a tall order given the "transient nature" of the radio business, but the sign company may have a corporate archive of some sort.

Insofar as restoration work I think that is a task best left to potential buyers to carry out or not. If the restoration work is botched or half-assed the owner may as well consider the item ruined as far as market value. Why take on that aggravation and incur the risk since it isn't likely to significantly increase prospective market value?

Perhaps there is someone out there willing to throw down $500 or more for an old sign with no proof of origin. However, I think high-end collectors are more apt to buy an RIAA certified gold album award or some paraphenalia from the tour instead.

Edited by SteveAJones

A signed and dated letter of provenance from the alleged radio station contest winner along with (and more so) signed, dated certificates of authenticity from the alleged radio station AND sign manufacturer would significantly improve your prospects for finding a potential buyer, and I'll reiterate my interest in the item. Certificates of authenticity should be accompanied by vintage documentation/recording proving the item was originally used for a 1993 contest if at all possible. You will undoubtedly find that to be a tall order given the "transient nature" of the radio business, but the sign company may have a corporate archive of some sort.

Insofar as restoration work I think that is a task best left to potential buyers to carry out or not. If the restoration work is botched or half-assed the owner may as well consider the item ruined as far as market value. Why take on that aggravation and incur the risk since it isn't likely to significantly increase prospective market value?

Perhaps there is someone out there willing to throw down $500 or more for an old sign with no proof of origin. However, I think high-end collectors are more apt to buy an RIAA certified gold album award or some paraphenalia from the tour instead.

Thanks, I'll write down a list of all the documents I need and figure out who all I need to call to get them.

I won't try and repair any of the damage to the paint, if it won't be worth it. I'll just try cleaning it a little bit more. Layers of stuff built up on it from just sitting and never being cleaned for years. It will make it look better if anything.

And I know it won't be an easy item to sell, because no one's ever seen anything like it, but that does give me the advantage of being the only one selling a unique item. Some people do pay for uniqueness. But as said, that's all a matter of luck, I am not counting on getting that lucky.

I know it won't be an easy item to sell, because no one's ever seen anything like it, but that does give me the advantage of being the only one selling a unique item. Some people do pay for uniqueness.

If I commissioned the sign manufacturer to make one to commemorate the Band of Joy album it would be a unique, one of a kind, no one has seen one before item - but not necessarily valuable. If his record label commissions them to produce one

the intrinsic value is greater because it would be an officially-sanctioned promotional item. Same holds true but to a lesser extent (IMHO) if it can be proven the radio station commissioned them to produce one for a promotional contest. I think you understand all of this already I'm just presenting my point of view differently for those who may not.

P.S. Forgot to mention thus far you should have the autographs authenticated.

Edited by SteveAJones

• 4 months later...

You are the first person i have ever seen to have another one of these. the only other ones i had ever seen before were the 12"x12" cardboard versions.

I bought mine at an auction and it is flat, hanging on my wall and is in pristine condition. i thought i had the only one in existance.

You are the first person i have ever seen to have another one of these. the only other ones i had ever seen before were the 12"x12" cardboard versions. I bought mine at an auction and it is flat, hanging on my wall and is in pristine condition. i thought i had the only one in existance.

Paul, please reconfirm the dimensions of your Coverdale/Page promotional item and post a photograph if possible.

• 2 weeks later...

post-1755-0-64537600-1309467274_thumb.jppost-1755-0-25467400-1309467323_thumb.jppost-1755-0-02120900-1309467356_thumb.jppost-1755-0-93467200-1309467389_thumb.jp

Paul - thank you very much for taking the time to post photographs.

Having seen there are two, one with a factory bend and one without, I'm going to throw something out there for consideration:

I do not believe these were commissioned by Geffen Records or a local radio station, as in either case one would expect the item to include a reference to the album title, record company or radio station. One might also expect the sign to incorporate graphics from the album, which featured a merge sign against a blue sky background. Promotional displays are produced to promote a person(s) or product and these "displays" arguably do not, they just seem to be ordinary road signs that may have been signed by David Coverdale and Jimmy Page (unauthenticated). Cool, but not commissioned.

Just my opinion.

Paul - thank you very much for taking the time to post photographs.

Having seen there are two, one with a factory bend and one without, I'm going to throw something out there for consideration:

I do not believe these were commissioned by Geffen Records or a local radio station, as in either case one would expect the item to include a reference to the album title, record company or radio station. One might also expect the sign to incorporate graphics from the album, which featured a merge sign against a blue sky background. Promotional displays are produced to promote a person(s) or product and these "displays" arguably do not, they just seem to be ordinary road signs that may have been signed by David Coverdale and Jimmy Page (unauthenticated). Cool, but not commissioned.

Just my opinion.

Steve----I totally agree with you. These are not promo items, they are real road signs that match the C/P cover, that happened to be autographed. Thanks, I value your opinion......Paul

Always great Steve how you do your research on items like this and express the details, information and history of such. It is always such a pleasure to hear things like this from you on this board and is a good reason why I frequent here. As a thespian from the past once said, "Just the facts mam."