John Paul Jones London play - NEW SCORE

LouiseC

I wanted to let everyone know that there's a new play opening in London this week featuring an entirely new score by John Paul Jones. He and the director, Gerald Thomas, has worked together many times before and this is the first time Gerald Thomas' world-famous theatre company, The Dry Opera Company, will perform in London. The play is called THROATS at the Pleasance Theatre in Islington (hip young fringe theatre!) and the music a blast. Details from www.pleasance.co.uk - running from 18 Feb to 27 March and tickets are £15 or less.

I wanted to let everyone know that there's a new play opening in London this week featuring an entirely new score by John Paul Jones. He and the director, Gerald Thomas, has worked together many times before and this is the first time Gerald Thomas' world-famous theatre company, The Dry Opera Company, will perform in London. The play is called THROATS at the Pleasance Theatre in Islington (hip young fringe theatre!) and the music a blast. Details from www.pleasance.co.uk - running from 18 Feb to 27 March and tickets are £15 or less.

I can see the tabloid headline now:

JPJ scores throats at hip young fringe theatre B)

Seriously though, this is great news if not a well-kept secret.

• 2 weeks later...

Just when you think Jonesy can't get any cooler, he does this.

My idea of heaven is getting to see all the behind-the-scenes decisions and shapings of works as they've been wrought into performances. And so the rehearsals above, and even more so JPJ's composing an opera discussed here, is a great preview of what's to come:

:faint1::wub:

• 1 year later...

The new play is based on a 1907 work by Swedish novelist August Strindberg. It’s being adapted into a three-act opera in a joint project by Gerald Thomas, John Paul Jones and Helen Cooper.

August Sonata will premiere at the English National Opera in 2014, followed by a presentation at the Salzburg Festival, revealed Mr. Thomas in an interview with the Brazilian daily Estado de São Paulo.

Mr. Thomas has been publishing regular updates on his website, like this photograph dated March 18th.

img_0303.jpg?w=500&h=373

Gerald Thomas attended Led Zeppelin's Celebration Day premiere in New York City.

Sources:

Wait...so what's happening with the Allende opera project? Is the Strindberg adaptation instead of or in addition to it?

I wrote to Mr Thomas and he says that he's no longer working on that project.

JPJ and I have moved on to "Ghost Sonata" by August Strindberg. Of course this does not rule out a possibility of working on the Judge's Wife sometime in the future.

Best

Gerald

I want to thank Mr. Thomas for his kind response.

I wrote to Mr Thomas and he says that he's no longer working on that project.

I want to thank Mr. Thomas for his kind response.

Thanks very much for following up, zemun. I appreciate it :) Good to know. All right, Strindberg (at least for now) it is, then...

• 1 month later...

Archived