Top 10 Rock Bands of All Time

Led Zep Girl

Good list but IMO Green day and The Cars are not even in the same league with the rest of the bands on the list I'm actually surprised Motley crew made the list, I mean where was Pink Floyd, Styx, The Guess who, Black Sabbath etc. :blink:

Actually I could think of so many other bands that deserve to be in over those three. LMAO

rockbanner2.jpg

:blink: :blink: :blink:

These lists are usually a waste of time no matter who does them...Rolling Stone, NME, Q, Uncut, Time, etc...but THIS list is SPECTACULARLY

INEPT!!!

The Cars?!? Journey!?!? What kind of crack are they snorting over there at Parade? :wacko::thumbdown::bagoverhead:

It's good to know that people are voting for Zeppelin but with any list like this, it can be personal opinion over truth. It's fun to look at these kinds of lists but they don't really matter to me in the grand scheme of things. This list is diverse, I'll give it that. I may not agree with some of them, though. That's how it usually goes with any list. Good post still. Thanks for sharing.

:)

No one was bigger than The Beatles, irrespective of talent.

As for the list, if there's no Pink Floyd, I can't take it seriously. Everyone's got an opinion and these people are certainly entitled to it, but the list is a little lacking.

I would agree however, Pink Floyd was not really a rock band. At least I would not classify them as rock. I would classify them as space rock, psychedelic.

Whoever is number one would be a matter of debate, but to say The Beatles aren't rock, Well, only a fucking idiot would say that.

Only a yank would say the Beatles are Rock. The Beatles are not big in the UK like they are in the states mainly because we never fell for the hype. They made some classic tunes and sold billions of records granted but their not Rock. Learn you Genre's pal

The Beatles became as huge as they did because they really did bring something totally new to what people at the time did consider to be rock, at least in the States. Even Ellvis was considered to be rock. The Beatles were at the right place, at the right time, with the right management and they looked and sounded different. It was way more than just the music. HOWEVER, as time progressed and groups like Led Zeppelin, and especially Led Zeppelin came on the scene, I think everyone's musical tastes evolved because they brought to us harder rock, better musicianship and vocals beyond compare. You can take any Zep song today and put it up against songs from groups like Metallica, Pearl Jam, etc. and Zep's music sounds just as amazing and current today as it did back then. Not so in my opinion with any Beatles music. However, I always wonder what John Lennon if he were still alive would be doing today. I'm thinking it could have been pretty great stuff unlike McCartney.

The Beatles became as huge as they did because they really did bring something totally new to what people at the time did consider to be rock, at least in the States. Even Ellvis was considered to be rock. The Beatles were at the right place, at the right time, with the right management and they looked and sounded different. It was way more than just the music. HOWEVER, as time progressed and groups like Led Zeppelin, and especially Led Zeppelin came on the scene, I think everyone's musical tastes evolved because they brought to us harder rock, better musicianship and vocals beyond compare. You can take any Zep song today and put it up against songs from groups like Metallica, Pearl Jam, etc. and Zep's music sounds just as amazing and current today as it did back then. Not so in my opinion with any Beatles music. However, I always wonder what John Lennon if he were still alive would be doing today. I'm thinking it could have been pretty great stuff unlike McCartney.

I totally agree :)

Only a yank would say the Beatles are Rock. The Beatles are not big in the UK like they are in the states mainly because we never fell for the hype. They made some classic tunes and sold billions of records granted but their not Rock. Learn you Genre's pal

I won't even argue with you on such a basic misconception. Finer points could be taught but your's is so far gone, you're hopeless. Stick a fork in it, you're view is dead, worthless.

I would agree however, Pink Floyd was not really a rock band. At least I would not classify them as rock. I would classify them as space rock, psychedelic.

They were a rock band. They certainly weren't a pop band, a polka band, a country band, a punk band, a disco band, a new wave band, or a rap group. Space rock/psychedelic rock is still rock, and they moved away from that kind of rock music shortly after Meddle. Obscured By Clouds, The Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals, The Wall, The Final Cut, A Momentary Lapse of Reason, and The Division Bell are all rock albums. Not space rock, not psychedelic rock. Rock. Period.

They got tired of being pigeon-holed into that group, so they evolved away from it. That's what the great bands do.

In time-honoured internet fashion, I was gonna reply "FAIL" to your remark, but even "EPIC FAIL" doesn't do justice to your incredibly lame-brained viewpoint. "Not big in the UK...WE never fell for the hype"?

Are you nutters? It was precisely in the UK that Beatlemania began before crossing the Atlantic to the US.

Yours is an early contender for the "stupidest post of the year".

And enough with the revisionism...the Beatles WERE a rock'n'roll band, case closed!

HOWEVER, as time progressed and groups like Led Zeppelin, and especially Led Zeppelin came on the scene, I think everyone's musical tastes evolved because they brought to us harder rock, better musicianship and vocals beyond compare.

1. Harder rock does not equal evolving taste in music. Look at the majority of death metal bands... would you call that evolving taste?

2. Talent is a good thing, but its not as valuable as people think. Bob Dylan doesn't play guitar or sing at a level above and beyond an average Joe with some music lessons. But he's one of the most influential and best known artists in history. Conversely, Asia was a supergroup with some the most talented musicians in rock music. Would anyone accuse them of being good?

3. Robert Plant has some great individual vocals, and that is unchallenged. But it pales in comparison to the complexity and talent for the Beatles to pull off their harmonies.

Archived