Jimmy Page's mystery girl?

Ripellino

I did read in an interview with Page that he wrote "Friends" after an argument with a girlfriend.

cgab

That girlfriend was charlotte martin, there is a picture in Jimmy's book with him standing on the porch at his pangbourne home on thames that has him stating that as well

This is his interview from 'Guitar World' that Jimmy talked about the situation that 'Friends' was written.

Jimmy Page Discusses Led Zeppelin III

http://www.guitarworld.com/jimmy_page_discusses_led_zeppelin_iii?page=0%252C0

And he doesn't say anything about his argument with his ex-wife in his autobiography.He just wrote 'I wrote the first track to the third album,'Friends',on this balcony ' in his book.

boathose.jpg?t=1313968434

Just an observation: it's fascinating when people project these elaborate interpretations into songs and albums. The ultimate example is probably that wild story about Phil Collins' "In the Air Tonight". They become like urban legends.

I guess it doesn't happen as much anymore, songs aren't as poetic and mysterious. Some people could read an anti-Mick Jagger reference in Don McLean's "American Pie" but I can't imagine a modern song causing people to ponder and wonder (unless it's along the lines of how anyone could bear to listen to "My Humps" or "Whip My Hair").

Just an observation: it's fascinating when people project these elaborate interpretations into songs and albums. The ultimate example is probably that wild story about Phil Collins' "In the Air Tonight". They become like urban legends.

I guess it doesn't happen as much anymore, songs aren't as poetic and mysterious.

Songs are just as poetic and mysterious now as they've ever been and if anything, the ability to spread rumors is even easier and happens far more often these days thanks to the innerwebs.

• 5 months later...

The lyrics for LZIII were written by Plant, except for traditional songs like Shake Em On Down (Hats off To Harper), and it seems unlikely he was writing about Jimmy's love life.

Edit: except Tangerine, of course--the only source for such a theory.

I think Plant and Page collaborated on lyrics prior to IV/Stairway to Heaven, at which point Page basically conceded that Plant should be the sole lyricist.

Back to the thread topic, I kind of doubt the "mystery romance" theory, since Tangerine seems to be the only song that fits that theme, but it was written years ago by Page about a different girl.

• 1 month later...

I didn't know he was married! I knew he is a mountain climber like Aleister Crowley. (Crowley's run in our family. Then again so do Lemons and Hickey's beckers and bakers, viechts,and wimmers, pappenbergers suposedly we were knights who were allowed into the kings castles) Yet I seen two versions of Robert Plant in the song remains the same I seen on MTV and one I bought a vhs on Paris69 where there was a different version. I was wondering who the girl in the chair is. I thought maybe that was Robert wife, sister, or Sandy Denny?

• 2 years later...

Jimmy attended a Ravi Shankar concert with a girl who was a friend of Shankar…they met afterward and Shankar wrote down sitar chords for him. I don't have the year confirmed yet but it very well occured during his art school days. He's proudly said he owned a sitar before George Harrison. I wouldn't be surprised to hear there were many girls. He'd already discovered them as a teen in the 50s, once bringing an ice cream to a girl at Granada Cinema in Epsom and asking her out (but she refused!).

.... While I wait for echos from Archives LIbrary re. Zeppelin Montreal Photos... Legendary Ms. Dana Gillespie granted these interviews to Journalists in India in relation to her Blues Performance thereof...her musical outings with James Patrick Page to see L. R. Shankar in London roundabout...ciraca '63

DG: Yes, in their full gear. And I remember always just going “Lord!” and looking, yearning and being fascinated by them, their clothing. And then, in the early ’60s, in ’63, because I was seeing a lot of the early musicians, like Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin, and we’d go to concerts with Ravi Shankar, Ustad Vilayat Khan, anybody, anything to hear Indian music.

Link, I posted earlier in Jimmy Page collborations...

http://media.radiosai.org/journals/vol_09/01DEC11/DanaGillespie3.htm

"Her India connection, she says, was forged even before her first trip, from when she used to go with Jimmy Page to listen to every Indian concert that came to town, like the early tours of Ravi Shankar."

http://www.business-standard.com/article/beyond-business/still-got-the-blues-113120600984_1.html

(This interview was given to Reputable Journalist Narenda Kusnur, who has met Jimmy, likely, during their Chanel V Performance '96).. interview with D.G....2001

on side note, Narendra Kusnur has interviewes John McLaughlin for Rolling Stone India Cover current, I have not read the full interview yet, although excerpts speak of Jeff Back/Clapton...

The exposure to Indian music came through Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page. “He called me to shows by Vilayat Khan and Ravi Shankar.

http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?showtopic=4283

...Dana GIllespie mentions she attended R. Shankar concert circa '63, this is the same year calculated by Sutton Art College historic research officier, findings in your mystery thread...as to confirm what year Jimmy attended art college/relating to R. Shankar concerts audience....

edited for add. detail...

Can I say that I dated quite a few girls in the 70's and listened to Zep a lot. Some of the girls were a msytery to me. blink.gifwink.gif

I dont even recall the names of people I dated in the 70's!!!!

.... While I wait for echos from Archives LIbrary re. Zeppelin Montreal Photos... Legendary Ms. Dana Gillespie granted these interviews to Journalists in India in relation to her Blues Performance thereof...her musical outings with James Patrick Page to see L. R. Shankar in London roundabout...ciraca '63

DG: Yes, in their full gear. And I remember always just going “Lord!” and looking, yearning and being fascinated by them, their clothing. And then, in the early ’60s, in ’63, because I was seeing a lot of the early musicians, like Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin, and we’d go to concerts with Ravi Shankar, Ustad Vilayat Khan, anybody, anything to hear Indian music.

Link, I posted earlier in Jimmy Page collborations...

http://media.radiosai.org/journals/vol_09/01DEC11/DanaGillespie3.htm

"Her India connection, she says, was forged even before her first trip, from when she used to go with Jimmy Page to listen to every Indian concert that came to town, like the early tours of Ravi Shankar."

http://www.business-standard.com/article/beyond-business/still-got-the-blues-113120600984_1.html

(This interview was given to Reputable Journalist Narenda Kusnur, who has met Jimmy, likely, during their Chanel V Performance '96).. interview with D.G....2001

on side note, Narendra Kusnur has interviewes John McLaughlin for Rolling Stone India Cover current, I have not read the full interview yet, although excerpts speak of Jeff Back/Clapton...

The exposure to Indian music came through Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page. “He called me to shows by Vilayat Khan and Ravi Shankar.

http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?showtopic=4283

...Dana GIllespie mentions she attended R. Shankar concert circa '63, this is the same year calculated by Sutton Art College historic research officier, findings in your mystery thread...as to confirm what year Jimmy attended art college/relating to R. Shankar concerts audience....

edited for add. detail...

Phenomenal sleuthing! I think you have well and truly identified the gal who accompanied Jimmy to the Ravi Shankar concert circa '63.

....Fans Love the Legendary Dana Gillespie and her association (in all!!) with Jimmy!!

Here are couple more very interesting facts from interviews... She discovered the blues in 1963 while attending Yardbirds concerts Marquee, she was already a fan of Yardbirds, at 15 years of age, her first folk album already released..

Dana Gillespie has been dedicated to the blues from an early age: "I discovered the blues when I went to the American Folk Blues Festival in 1962 and also to see the Yardbirds at the Marquee Club. I was in my early teens and hadn't heard anything like it before - blues wasn't easily available in the UK back then"

http://www.dana-gillespie.com/biog.html

When was your first desire to become involved in the blues?

From the moment I first heard the Blues in 1963 at the Marquee Club

http://blues.gr/profiles/blogs/dana-gillespie-interview

....She would be fascinating collaboration with any of Zeppelin associations, including Deborah Bonham...they would sing beautifully together...

(and personal one for Jimmy!! I like their spiritual association, both so fascinating ...)

thank God he didn't do anything with it....cuz they SSUUUCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKK

had its brief woodstock moment of fame......basically when everyone was stoned and tripping out on their way to becoming the counterculture trendmongering dipsticks of today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6q54ED_dkA

• 1 year later...

hmmmm well I am such a stalker for page anyday "I may not believe in myself,but I believe in what im doing" found it on tumblrtumblr_mkue39Ua1E1rsz8zro1_1280.png

there use to be a birth chart here http://www.astrologyjunction.com/ idk maybe i got the wrong astro site, anyway does anyone even know how to read those charts? They are like full of symbols, harder to read then the freakin glyphs! lol

....Fans Love the Legendary Dana Gillespie and her association (in all!!) with Jimmy!!

Here are couple more very interesting facts from interviews... She discovered the blues in 1963 while attending Yardbirds concerts Marquee, she was already a fan of Yardbirds, at 15 years of age, her first folk album already released..

Dana Gillespie has been dedicated to the blues from an early age: "I discovered the blues when I went to the American Folk Blues Festival in 1962 and also to see the Yardbirds at the Marquee Club. I was in my early teens and hadn't heard anything like it before - blues wasn't easily available in the UK back then"

http://www.dana-gillespie.com/biog.html

When was your first desire to become involved in the blues?

From the moment I first heard the Blues in 1963 at the Marquee Club

http://blues.gr/profiles/blogs/dana-gillespie-interview

....She would be fascinating collaboration with any of Zeppelin associations, including Deborah Bonham...they would sing beautifully together...

(and personal one for Jimmy!! I like their spiritual association, both so fascinating ...)

According to her Wikipedia entry she was also had a brief acting career. Photos taken during her twenties reveal a pretty, buxom young woman.

On a side note Shanker didnt right down sitar chords, he wrote down the tunnings because Jimy didnt know how to tune it.

And you don't know how to spell...

On a side note Shanker didn't right down sitar chords, he wrote down the tunings because Jimmy didn't know how to tune it.

There I fixed it for you in case your pea brain couldn't figure it out.

And its irrelevant about the spelling.It was late at night and I hit n twice and forgot an m big deal, I hate people like you, you must have nothing better to do, and must have a shit life. That's my incite on you from your incredibly rude sentence.

PS: I will some grammatical error so you can correct me and show how much of more intelligent person you are than me. you must be some kind of professor, or the grammar police.

lmao. Dude still misspelled Shankar and write. :lol:

• 2 months later...

According to Wikipedia, Dana Gillespie was born on March 30, 1949. If this is correct, she was hanging out with Page and going to blues clubs when she was 14 years old. She must have had permissive parents.

Hubba hubba! :drool:

mag_parade_des_19671.jpgdana_gillespie_Continent.jpg

Well played Jimmy... :you_rock:

Dana Gillespie is another 'mutual friend' that Jimmy and David Bowie had in common.

She really was out and about in London at that age - Dana's mother is a Countess and they're not bound by 'bourgeois morality'...apparently!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone I'm new, always been a huge fan of Led Zeppelin but new to the forum. I've joined tonight to see if there is any truth in something a friend told me the other night. His father is in the music business and was close to the band in the early 70's. He was telling me that his dad claims that the third Zeppelin album is a sort of "cenotaph" to what Jimmy Page still regards as his most important relationship. She was a young art student he fell in love with and planned to marry in the early 70's but who then left him for a close friend of his (another musican) after he failed to curtail his womanising while on tour. It seems he had expected her to turn a blind eye to his bad behaviour due to his status and her leaving him was a huge slap in the face and nothing he expected...

If nothing else this could form the plot of a good romance novel. Jaded rock star meets beautiful art student who doesn't care about his money or fame but loses her due to his philandering. Over forty years later they meet again and the spark is still there. Will she give him another chance? Has he learned anything during the intervening years? Star-crosses lovers and the girl who got away. I like it!

There is nothing romantic or endearing about this story. She was obviously too young at the time they once shared together - and now she looks like Mrs. Roper, and obviously would be of no interest to Page.

You're disapproving of a relationship that probably never happened according to several posters. The art school student I imagined for my romance novel would be around 20. Too young to settle down with anyone, imo, but legally of age. My imaginary rock star would be in his late twenties so there would be a 7 or 8 year difference in their ages.

Archived