BBC Transcription disc genuine or fake?

Hi, I'm new here and have only recently begun to collect Zeppelin vinyl.

I recently came across a copy of a BBC Transcription disc of a 1971 live recording pressed in 1983.

I have seen BBC Transcription discs of other bands and the text on the label has been a pale green / blue colour. The text on this Zep label was black.

Can anyone tell me if there is a chance this is a bootleg or not? The sleeve and labels look genuine (yellow / orange sleeve with the usual BBC text) apart fom the text colour on the label but maybe this LP had black text anyway? I have heard how much Zep stuff has been boot-legged so I need to know if the LP I have seen is genuine or not. Any clues how I can tell if it is genuine?

If the LP is genuine then how much is it worth?

Thanks for any help.

Hi, I'm new here and have only recently begun to collect Zeppelin vinyl.

I recently came across a copy of a BBC Transcription disc of a 1971 live recording pressed in 1983.

I have seen BBC Transcription discs of other bands and the text on the label has been a pale green / blue colour. The text on this Zep label was black.

Can anyone tell me if there is a chance this is a bootleg or not? The sleeve and labels look genuine (yellow / orange sleeve with the usual BBC text) apart fom the text colour on the label but maybe this LP had black text anyway? I have heard how much Zep stuff has been boot-legged so I need to know if the LP I have seen is genuine or not. Any clues how I can tell if it is genuine?

If the LP is genuine then how much is it worth?

Thanks for any help.

If it's the item below it's legitamate and worth about $100.00. If it's a bootleg it's worth about $50.

4060634515.jpg spacer.gifspacer.gif

This is a vinyl disc produced by the BBC Transcription Services (Catalogue # 4194/S) which features a vintage Led Zeppelin "In Concert" appearance recorded in March 1971 at the Paris Theatre, London.

The concert was first broadcast in April 1971 and was the most requested ever of the "In Concert" series. This disc was produced in 1983.

The tracks featured in the recording, which is introduced by Richard Skinner, are:

Side 1: (Total Time 30:25)

1. Immigrant Song

2. Heartbreaker

3. Out On The Tiles (Intro) / Black Dog

4. Going To California

5. That's The Way

6. What Is And What Should Never Be

Side 2: (Total Time 25:27)

1. Communication Breakdown

2. Stairway To Heaven

3. Whole Lotta Love (Medley)

The record is in mint condition; the cover is in excellent condition.

--------------------------

A closer shot of the label for this release:

!CCQQ1tg!Wk~$(KGrHqUOKn!Ez5Kn+iWbBNKhChDM7w~~_12.JPG

Thanks very much for the info. The LP I have seen looks identical in every way so it's either genuine or a perfect replica.

I wonder why it is only valued at $100 when so few were pressed, unless of course there were thousands pressed but even then it should be more rare than even a first pressing of the first LP.

Thanks again.

Thanks very much for the info. The LP I have seen looks identical in every way so it's either genuine or a perfect replica.

I wonder why it is only valued at $100 when so few were pressed, unless of course there were thousands pressed but even then it should be more rare than even a first pressing of the first LP.

Thanks again.

If it's identical I'm confident it's genuine. Their value is relatively low because Led Zeppelin's BBC performances are among the most bootlegged of all time so anyone interested in hearing this material already has literally dozens of vinyl and cd releases to choose from. Most online auction sites reflect when this transcription disc does sell it goes for about $100.

Thanks, $100 is about £60 or £70 so I will make sure I don't pay more than that.

I'm surprised fans don't want the original vinyl, it is worth far more to me than any bootleg copy and given that there are probably less than 100 copies of each transcription disc I would have expected it to be worth a small fortune. I'm glad I didn't offer the £100 I was thinking of!

Archived