Any other magic-music places like Birmingham?

Birmingham.Yes.I heard a singer there sounded like Noddy Holder a drummer like Bonzo (I know you won´t beleave it but thats fact!).

There were really great unknown bands like "7th Era" around where Robert lived.

But I guess the topic asked for diffrent places that seem to be so fruitfull.

In Germany we have a coal miners district called the "Ruhrgebiet".You find alot of the best heavy bands

starting from there."Kreator","Sodom","Birth controll" and my personal Guru and Superguitarist "Hermann GGG" (my avatar).

• 4 weeks later...

mshoals.jpg

ronee_blakley_muscle_shoals.jpg

Many of the folks in the above photograph came to be known as "The Swampers" (session players from Muscle Shoals Sound) who Lynyrd Skynyrd immortalized in "Sweet Home Alabama". Third from the right is David Hood, father of Patterson Hood of the Drive-By Truckers. Second from the left is the late Eddie Hinton. The Drive-By Truckers saluted his memory by including two of his songs on their latest record, Go-Go Boots. They first sang about him on "Sandwiches For the Road" which can be found on their first album, Gangstabilly. So many great sides came out of this area with everyone from Skynyrd to the Rolling Stones, Dylan, the Staple Singers and Aretha Franklin recording there.

I live in Liverpool/Merseyside. We have The Beatles, a few half-decent bands, and Rick fucking Astley.

Sheesh--check out what was going on there in the 60s!! Even the 70s, when I lived there, had its share of great bands, and folks like Elvis Costello, and then later there were Echo and the Bunnymen, OMD, Julian Cope and Teadrop Explodes, Flock of Seagulls, the Zutons, not to mention the wonderful Half Man Half Biscuit. And now every time I visit there's some great new band to see!

Yes, it's amazing all the great musicians/bands that have come out of Manchester, for several decades too.

In 'merica, an awful lot of talented folks came from Memphis or were at least "born" there musically. Let's leave Justin Timberlake out of it though.

Sheesh--check out what was going on there in the 60s!! Even the 70s, when I lived there, had its share of great bands, and folks like Elvis Costello, and then later there were Echo and the Bunnymen, OMD, Julian Cope and Teadrop Explodes, Flock of Seagulls, the Zutons, not to mention the wonderful Half Man Half Biscuit. And now every time I visit there's some great new band to see!

You lived in Liverpool ? Awesome biggrin.gif

And speaking of Flock of Seagulls, I've jammed with the drummer's son a few times. And I was in the same class as Pete Best's grandaughter, the Beatles drummer that Ringo replaced. Claim to fame eh' cool.gif

There aren't many good bands in Liverpool now'days. Same can be said for the whole of the planet in fairness.

I've noticed a good up & coming band called 'Free Peace' though. They're worth a check out!

Archived