Stairway to Heaven 2011 - Makes me Wonder - A Tribute to Led Zeppelin

Hi all.

I have often thought that if any band tried to do acover of Stairway to Heaven, no matter how good that band is, or no matter how exacltly like the original their version was, they could never, ever beat the original track, in terms of the number of people that like the song. I mean, a cover could never do as good as the original or become as legendary as the original. That's my opinion anyway. I wonder what other people think about covers of this song.

I believe that the only time any band can do a cover of this song is if they are playing live, and the audience wants to hear it, or even requests it. Then and only then would the listeners know that the band are playing the song, in the true spirit of the original, without trying to better it. They are just attempting to emulate the tune, and the audience would appreciate that.

However, what about a tune, or song that is based on the original, but different. It depends how different. A punk rock version maybe, or a deathmetal version possibly. More likely a contemporary piece.

As a guitarist I have spent hours and hours trying to learn the acoustic bits of this tune. Some bits harder than others obviously. Some tiny parts of the song stick in ones mind for extended periods of time until eventually your mind starts to warp them into slightly different bits. I eventually came up with a piece of music that I feel is a tribute to the original song. Its nothing like the original, a completely diferent genre, but at the same time it is so obviously Stairway to Heaven. I feel that nothing is ruined or copied, just used for something different.

I would be extremely grateful if the greates fans in the world, of the worlds greatest ever band, would check out my piece of music at -

I would be grateful for any comments but most importantly, I would like your views on the above, i.e. can the original ever be covered and if so, how would it go down?

Thanks very much

DazzaBurns

Edited by DazzaBurns22

Not bad, but needs some work. Might want to remove the "It makes me wonder" bits as it sounds like The Far Corporation's cover of this. That always sounded way over the top. Also the applause at the end sounds pretty fake. But overall it's pretty good.

SupaDave, thanks for the constructive comments friend, exactly the type of comment i am looking for. Not necessarily positive, or negative, just constructive.

Dewiecox, i agree and feel that the tune is boring, and as Supadave said, it still needs more work doing. I will add that all the guitar you hear is me playing, the bass is me too. Your right that the drum is loops, in fact two drum beats playing together. The strings are are also me playing my synth so, no i don't play violins but i did play that. That's modern technology for you. Am i to be penalised and mocked for embracing it??

Nobodysfaultbutjimmys, I'm sorry that this tune makes you feel sad, but at the same time, i'm really glad that it was able to evoke such a strong emotion from you, you confimr the power that this tune has, so thanks for that :)

Dazza.

PLEASE KEEP THE COMMENTS COMING BUT ALSO PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT STAIRWAY COVERS IN GENERAL, i.e. AS PER MY ORIGINAL POST.

THANKS AGAIN

Hi DazzaBurns22,

I fully agree with you. It is not just the virtuosity of the guitar (the song does not stop with the intro which is relatively easy compared to the riffs and the soli in the mid part of the song) that is difficult to mimik but also the unique voice of Robert Plant. I can not image that you can perform this song with a different voice or interpretation. Even if you compare the studio version with the live track from the NYC gig the latter is much more impressive.

And as you said this band is a legend so I would never dare to play any of their songs in the public. I personally played the guitar quite intensively but Jimmy was the one who gave me the hardest time among all other players. The complexity and speed of switching from riffs to soli to chords and back is so high that I was not able to play many of this songs (or only the easier parts).

Regards,

Torsten

Edited by Torsten

• 2 weeks later...