“The Fighter” -David O. Russell

“The King's Speech” - Tom Hooper

“The Social Network” -David Fincher

“True Grit” -Joel Coen and Ethan Coen

Achievement in makeup

“Barney's Version”

“The Way Back”

“The Wolfman”

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original score)

“How to Train Your Dragon”

“Inception”

“The King's Speech”

“127 Hours”

“The Social Network”

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original song)

“Coming Home” from “Country Strong”

“I See the Light” from “Tangled”

“If I Rise” from “127 Hours”

“We Belong Together” from “Toy Story 3”

Achievement in visual effects

“Alice in Wonderland”

“Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1”

“Hereafter”

“Inception”

“Iron Man 2”

Adapted screenplay

“127 Hours”

“The Social Network”

“Toy Story 3”

“True Grit”

“Winter's Bone”

Original screenplay

“Another Year”

“The Fighter”

“Inception”

“The Kids Are All Right”

“The King's Speech”

Best motion picture of the year

“Black Swan”

“The Fighter”

“Inception”

“The Kids Are All Right”

“The King's Speech”

“127 Hours”

“The Social Network”

“Toy Story 3”

“True Grit”

“Winter's Bone”

I would rank this years awards and movies pretty low in comarison with years past. I mean, the remake of a John Wayne movie is on the list? Give me a break. Has hollywood gone bad or what? Too much high tech garbage is being pumped out and not alot of good acting. I think for every good movie there are a hundred that are pure crap

A lot of decent films and directors have been overlooked as always this year. Christopher Nolan should have been nominated for Best Director for Inception. Also I think Peter Weir's film The Way Back should have got some recognition. It's a far superior film to some of the others nominated in the Best Picture catergory.

I'm hoping Colin Firth wins too, he certainly deserves it.

I would rank this years awards and movies pretty low in comarison with years past. I mean, the remake of a John Wayne movie is on the list? Give me a break. Has hollywood gone bad or what? Too much high tech garbage is being pumped out and not alot of good acting. I think for every good movie there are a hundred that are pure crap

Have to agree with you there, mate. I did like 'True Grit' but not as well as the original.

B)

PS-I pretty much prefer independant films these days.

Hi sliver,all,

I would rank this years awards and movies pretty low in comarison with years past. I mean, the remake of a John Wayne movie is on the list? Give me a break. Has hollywood gone bad or what? Too much high tech garbage is being pumped out and not alot of good acting. I think for every good movie there are a hundred that are pure crap.

'True Grit' was originally a short novel.

Follywood puts out of lot junk these days,.....

KB

Why do all the best actress nominees have to be in English speaking roles? Can't you act unless you're speaking English?! :blink: Anyway I nominate as best actress Kristin Scott Thomas in 'Leaving'. B)

Marion Cotillard won for playing Edith Piaf (in French) just a few years ago. That spurred me on to see if anyone else had...turns out Sophia Loren spoke Italian in her winning role in "Two Women" in 1961. They also list Marlee Matlin for using sign language in her role in "Children of a Lesser God"

Looking to see if there were some non-winning nominees...

"True Grit" was actually a book before it became a John Wayne movie, and the Coen's version is truer to the book than the first filmed version. That said, I liked both the John Wayne and the Jeff Bridges versions. But, with 10 nominations it came away empty handed, so I am sure that made you happy.

I thought for sure Roger Deakins would FINALLY win for Best Cinematography and had him in my Oscar pool, but he lost to "Inception"'s Wally Pfister. Check out Roger Deakins' amazing credits here:Deakins Cinematography credits

How is it possible he's never won?

Has Hollywood gone bad? Well, there's always the usual amount of crap...but I don't think you'll find a lot of the "high tech garbage" you complain about among the nominees. "The King's Speech", "Social Network", "True Grit", "Winter's Bone" are not high tech garbage. Even "Inception" is an exception to the usual Hollywood summer blockbuster-type film in that most of the effects were done in-camera and not using CGI, including Joseph Gordon-Levitt's cool weightless fight scene.

Was I happy with the Oscars this year? Not any more or less than I usually am...like the Grammys and Emmys and other award shows, I have long made peace with the fact that the voters will go with the conservative safe choice most of the time. Plus, add in the fact that this year "The King's Speech" had Harvey Weinstein behind it and that it was one of the few movies where "screener copies" were sent out to everyone(Social Network being another) and it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that it would at least win Best Picture, Actor and Original Screenplay.

Best Director was a mild surprise as the thought was that the Academy would give a nod to Social Network by choosing David Fincher for Best Director.

For me, I won't remember 2010 for "The King's Speech", "Black Swan", "The Kids Are All Right" or "True Grit". No, the 10 films that made the year memorable for me were criminally overlooked Gaspar Noé's "Enter the Void", Clair Denis' "White Material", Edgar Wright's "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World", Mike Leigh's "Another Year", and Olivier Assayas' 5-and-one-half-hour-epic "Carlos"...along with "Inception", "Winter's Bone", "Animal Kingdom", "Toy Story 3" and "Social Network".

I was 16-8 this year on my Oscar ballot, my lowest win percentage since the year Crash won.

My biggest disappointment and disgust of the night was how they forgot about the iconic Tura Satana during the In Memoriam segment. BOO Academy! HISS!

Archived