Christchurch Hit By Earthquake After Shock 6.3

Reggie29

The "Ring of Fire" also called the Circum-Pacific belt, is the zone of earthquakes surrounding the Pacific Ocean about 90%  of the world's earthquakes occur there. The next most seismic region (5-6% of earthquakes) is the Alpide belt (extends from Mediterranean region, eastward through Turkey, Iran, and northern India.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/facts.php

I guess I could've been slammed by that Mack Truck barreling down the road today too, but luckily I saw it coming. Sure the New Zealand earthquake is personal to you for the reasons you mention. If I didn't see the news or read the internet I wouldn't know a thing about it. I wouldn't be affected in any way. So as you say that you stand by your previous comment to me, fine, I stand by mine too. I don't know those people and other than a cursory "oh that's sad", it's not part of 'my' world to be bothered.

Oh and Aquamarine and ally, go tell those people in New Orleans who relied on the manmade dykes and may have never seen floods as they were in Katrina that I'm turning blue because I was wrong. Go tell all those people along the Mississippi in 1993 that who relied on manmade dykes that I turned blue because I was wrong. Some floodplain inhabitants might get by in their lifetime without catastrophic floods, but many won't. Do I get to remain fleshtone for all the floods that do occur ?

Here, tell these people who weren't really even in the floodplain that their fries and burgers won't be soggy after a good inundation.

407px-Flooding_1993_fema_13708.jpg

Mississippi River out of its banks in Festus, Missouri. The spot where this photo was taken is nearly 1.5 miles west and 30 feet above the river.

I bet those folks never in a MILLION years would've thought they'd be threatened 30 feet above the river.

YOU are wrong about NOT comparing natural threats and our ability or NOT to control them. You obnoxious, arrogant humans!

All that I was trying to do was to convey why exactly I am taking this natural disaster which struck Christchurch, very personally! I do not expect you to understand or have any sort of sympathy for the people of Christchurch. Although, I really feel that if you (from the very beginning) had absolutely nothing positive or encouraging to say or never ever had the inclination to express even an ounce of sympathy towards the people affected by this tragedy, should have chosen to leave this thread alone and just moved on and not said a word.

Anyway, I am not going to take this matter any further with you because I do not wish to waste my energy and more importantly, I do not wish to turn this thread (about a horrible tragedy) into something incredibly petty and ugly! That is really not my intention.

On topic : I am happy and proud to say that my University (The University of Auckland) is contributing to the relief effort by launching an immediate street appeal (in and around campus) to raise money to assist the people affected by this disaster! Kudos to the Auckland University Students Association (AUSA)! B)

Very well said Kiwi. I think it's incredibly insulting that this member seems to think that a Kiwi, or anyone else on here, needs educating about the Pacific Ring of Fire.

Back on topic, I'm very proud that Britain has sent out a team of experts to help with the recovery operation, and that the British Red Cross is raising funds to help the people of Christchurch.

Magic, at a time of a horrid tragedy such as this, people and countries need to unite and overcome rather than wallow in self pity or point fingers and get all carried away with their "stupidity". Just my two cents. I'm sure you heartily agree. I know that all this is easier said than done, but at least this will be a step in the right direction! Staying strong is just what is needed right about now and the people of Christchurch seem to be doing just that! :)

Magic, at a time of a horrid tragedy such as this, people and countries need to unite and overcome rather than wallow in self pity or point fingers and get all carried away with their "stupidity". Just my two cents. I'm sure you heartily agree. I know that all this is easier said than done, but at least this will be a step in the right direction! Staying strong is just what is needed right about now and the people of Christchurch seem to be doing just that! :)

:yesnod: They certainly are

Two of the iconc stone buildings in Christchurch that were heavily affected by the earthquake:

NZAUS2009913-1.jpg

NZAUS2009821-1.jpg

I was lucky enough to have been to this wonderful city and to look now at these two pics that I took two years ago just breaks my heart. It's such a pity and a huge tragedy to all people of NZ. :(

I hope that these buildings are reconstructed as well as the city itself. Sending the best wishes to the people of Christchurch. I hope to be able to visit again one day.

Wow, that first pic is amazing. Awful to think of beautiful things like all those buildings being destroyed, quite apart from the loss of life. :(

Very well said Kiwi. I think it's incredibly insulting that this member seems to think that a Kiwi, or anyone else on here, needs educating about the Pacific Ring of Fire.

Don't worry, he's been banned (at least in this incarnation).

Archived