Stairway solo

Ive been up close to the stage when Jimmy has played twice, both times with Plant in 95 and 98 and he did play like this

Right. So that's why they delayed the show with two weeks, because it didn't matter at all whether his pinky was broken or not. Come now, guys. He indeed didn't use much often his little finger, but the thought is still a setback. It forces you to concentrate on something you normally wouldn't be thinking of. It's an extra effort.

It figures people would be analyzing the STH solo, many think it is Jimmy's albatross. Honestly I think he was trying to stick as close to the studio version with every song, the entire band was. That's what made it sound so cool IMO. Jimmy did fine with the STH solo, it wasn't his best work or anything but it was far from his worst. Actually it's pretty tight until right around the 7:20 mark and then he gets a little "lost" sounding but he quicky catches up and heads right into the end of the solo.

Right. So that's why they delayed the show with two weeks, because it didn't matter at all whether his pinky was broken or not. Come now, guys. He indeed didn't use much often his little finger, but the thought is still a setback. It forces you to concentrate on something you normally wouldn't be thinking of. It's an extra effort.

My view on the delay is probably slightly controversial - I always thought Jimmys finger was a cover story, press reports suggest Robert was struggling with some of high notes-speculation, he did however sing in a lower register-fact. They needed some extra time to prepare I think it's that simple

I think what he played was not only perfect for the mood of the night and the venue - but perfect for them as a group. Last night wasn't about showing off or extended soloing, it was about proving to the world and their fans and critics they still had it - and they did just that.

Those who've said he was replicating the studio solo are right--that's exactly what he was trying to do. There towards the end where he seemed to get lost, he was trying to work in the secondary lead you hear behind the main solo. Probably should have left that bit out, but oh well--"A" for effort!

If you're having problems with the solo, just think of the words "Atlantic Records concert" and "Live Aid".

I have no problem with the O2 Stairway solo, but I have no problem with the one from Live Aid either. I always thought criticism of the Live Aid Stairway solo was unwarranted.

I have no problem with the O2 Stairway solo, but I have no problem with the one from Live Aid either. I always thought criticism of the Live Aid Stairway solo was unwarranted.

someone sticking up for the Live Aid show???? wow, you're my hero!!!!! lol

I was at that show, and unlike the 02, they DID open with Rock and Roll, which alotta people thought they were going to do for the 02.

and for the record, I absolutely love it when jimmy plays those fast chords way up on the guitar neck during the solo, it sends the whole epic song 'over the top' in my opinion. anyone know what I'm talking about???

I guess the consensus is that he re created a studio album solo.

Even if he only uses the pinky sparingly when 100% fit, all the finger bones muscles and tendons are connected very strongly...try bending down just the pinky and keeping all the other fingers straight - hard isnt it, the pinky pulls on the others...

If you listen to the first half of the solo it is absolutely great, and appears to be straight from the studio album. The second half he seems to be wandering a little.

It could be that after playing a good portion of the studio version, he went into a more improvised melodic sound. To me the second half sounded a lot like the solo he did for Babe I'm gonna Leave You with Page/Plant (which can be seen in the Amnesty International Concert DVD which of course ended in Stairway to Heaven)

I think Stairway is the culmination of what he started in Babe IGLY, and I think these two songs are in some ways intertwined for Page.

Like how I Can't Quit You Babe was latter replaced by the Led Zeppelin original SIBLY

BIGLY was latter replaced the the Led Zeppelin original STH. Infact Page seemingly used BIGLY in 1998 as a sort of stand in for STH.

All in all I think Page Can be Very proud of his performance. To sum it up, it's a good starting point with nothing to be ashamed of. Then if you consider Page hasn't played a major concert in seven years ( 7 is a long time) this was his first performance and as of now only perfromance live , and he's coming off a broken finger.

I Believe I read some where that Zeppelin where planning for their 1980 American tour to play more efficiently and cut the fat from the music (I believe they called it cut the waffle) it appears all the years later, we are seeing that fruition come to place.

^ Yeah, that -cut the waffle idea was there at the -led zep/o2/ahmet show...and they can do it now, but they were doing in 80 too. Thats sort of the tragedy and the triumph of it in a way....but as others have said, they had good chances to do it already as well.

The solo was the same length as the album version.

Page even came in at the same time as he does on the album (there was normally at least 4 bars before he kicked in).

I very much enjoyed it, although my favourite moment of that track was in the last verse when Robert Plant forgot where he was and really went for it ('there walks a LADY we all know'), superb.

It's little flubs like this which make me think that Jimmy will not allow this to be released, despite it being a fantastic and honest performance (from what I've seen/heard so far...)

Rumors of Madison Sq Gdns suggest they might film that too and release a "composite" of the two gigs featuring the best versions....I noticed that they slightly fluffed the re-entry into the verse in Dazed and Confused?. Still, there are mistakes in TSRTS movie too, it's cool to hear how they handle them....

Just for the record, I wasn't there, but I've got the show on my ipod.... :)

There's really no comparison between the Berlin STH and the O2, but that has been stated.

In Berlin in 1980 Page sounded more like Jerry Garcia than Jimmy Page. Now I like both, so that doesn't bother me much, but it was a very 'new' direction for Page. Aside from the solo in Berlin, JPJ really takes over the song on piano with Jimmy sort of adding some 'color' in the background.

The solo was the same length as the album version.

Page even came in at the same time as he does on the album (there was normally at least 4 bars before he kicked in).

Yeah, that really caught me off guard as well.

Im certain that they tried to get as near Zepp 4 version as poss - Jimmy was trying to reproduce the solo as close as he could get it to the original
My feelings as well.

someone sticking up for the Live Aid show???? wow, you're my hero!!!!! lol

I was at that show, and unlike the 02, they DID open with Rock and Roll, which alotta people thought they were going to do for the 02.

and for the record, I absolutely love it when jimmy plays those fast chords way up on the guitar neck during the solo, it sends the whole epic song 'over the top' in my opinion. anyone know what I'm talking about???

I guess the consensus is that he re created a studio album solo.

:lol: I never thought I'd hear anyone sticking up for it either. Last year someone had Rock and Roll up on Youtube for about 5 minutes and it wasn't nearly as bad as it would seem.

I remember waiting all day to see Zep on TV, though I can't really remember my emotions over the music itself.

Is it those fast chords where Bonham/Jones/Page come to a full stop afterward?

Yeah, it seems the consensus is that they were going for a version more faithful to the studio.

Cant say the same for a straight Phil Collings who absolutley brutalized Rock n Roll on drums. He was fucking clueless. Of course he did well on his own songs. And then proceded to stink up the joint in place of Bonzo. He should have at least practiced a bit.

I was just wondering the other day if Phil was thinking it would just be a jam session or something, not realizing they were gonna try to go out and rock some old numbers.

This version was 8 and a half minutes which is about as long as Stairway should be.

For me it's tough to beat Earl's Court or TSRTS, in the 12 minute-plus range. The studio version is beautiful, but I really only listen to the longer live versions, unless I stumble across the original on the radio. I pretty mush only listen to lve stuff now, come to think of it.

Jimmy's guitar solo was only 49 seconds long......the last zeppelin show on july 7, 1980 in berlin germany, his solo was about 7 minutes long.

reports say he was barely using his pinky finger, as I play lead guitar myself I can't even imagine pulling off a gig with only three fingers, which I know Jimmy was able to do back on the 1975 tour when he broke his hand/finger? can't remember.

anyways, that seemed like an incredibly and surprisingly short guitar solo

Jimmy Did that while they were recording the Song Remains The Same Madison Square Garden Show so it's not 1975 it was 1973

IMO, Page did his best Solos in the Studio. He was never one to play a solo note for note live.

I know it would have been nice if he nailed the Stairway Solo note for note at the 02 gig.

Some solos he used to play pretty close. Like the slide solos on What Is and What Should Never be or Tangerine. I happen to think playing a solo note for note is incredibly boring and now what Zep was about.

Archived